Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Went into Reverse instead of 5th *Pt. 2* Stuck In First...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Jimmy WS6
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Went into Reverse instead of 5th *Pt. 2* Stuck In First...

So my first thread that got a lot of feedback on my first thread both positive and negative. Here is the original thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ad-of-5th.html

The reason I am making a part 2 is because I took it to the trans shop today and they told me that the old reverse solenoid was in fact broken and not working at all. They installed the new one from GM and then once they got the car off the rack the car was locked in first. They messed with it and then finally came to the conclusion that it is something electrical. They put the old solenoid in again and I am no longer locked in first but I am no longer locked out of reverse while driving either. I am wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue? I have a breathless performance short shifter and my car has had the 1-4 skip shift eliminated or whatever they do to make it so your not forced to do a 1-4 shift. Both of these mods were done prior to me buying the car so I have no idea how they work or what may be going on with my car.

Is it a defective reverse lockout solenoid from GM? Is it something to do with the 1-4 skip shift being eliminated? Or is it something to do with tuning or programming?

Id also like to note that when shifting out of first where it would tell u to shift into 4th, the 1-4 light doesn't display at all like it did in my last car.

Please help!

Last edited by Jimmy WS6; 09-12-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

the skip shift has its own solenoid so does reverse lockout i dont under stand how replacing the reverse solenoid locked you in 1st gear? far as i know you cant get locked in 1st gear you just get locked out of 2nd & 3rd but you have that eliminated

wonder if they replaced the wrong one or plugged in the wrong solenoid?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Jimmy WS6
Pro

I honestly am completely clueless on this. I don't think based on the diagrams that I am looking at that the reverse lockout solenoid and the skip shift solenoid look alike or would plug in the same and I saw the solenoid they took out and it looked the same as the one they put in.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

since you have eliminated the skip shift I wonder if the solenoids are plugged in wrong? the skipshift plugged in to the reverse lockout? it would kinda make sense since your reverse lockout does not work? but i'm not even sure if there the same plug
Old 09-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Jimmy WS6
Pro

well now that I just got home and have a better understanding of what is going on and what took place when my dad brought my car in for me, it sounds like you are totally right. They were changing the 1-4 solenoid when they were supposed to change the reverse solenoid and then tried to tell me I provided the wrong part or that it was a tuning issue... what a joke.. I wont be bringing my car back there again. Ill change the solenoid myself before I do that.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

you should be able to get to that your self it would probably take more to get the car up and on stand then what it would take to swap it, but for the hell of it i'd swap the plugs around and see what happens
Old 09-17-2015, 03:05 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I cant imagine any possible way for this to lock you into first gear. Would it not come out of first, or could you just not get into second? If it was that you couldnt get into second they screwed up your cags and you could probably get into 4.

Just read the rest of the thread. Looks like youre almost sorted.

Get notified of new replies

To Went into Reverse instead of 5th *Pt. 2* Stuck In First...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Went into Reverse instead of 5th *Pt. 2* Stuck In First...