Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What got you started on the Corvette addiction? Then and Now Pictures for me.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 10,187 Likes on 1,603 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default What got you started on the Corvette addiction? Then and Now Pictures for me.

I was a Senior in High School ('78) and actually went to the Library and read every article I could on the upcoming Indy 500 Race to be Paced by the 1978 Corvette...it was the Silver leather interior that struck me as amazing. Just a few months later (July 26th 1978) I started selling Corvettes and the rest is history (over 3,500 Sold so far). I have owned 15 Corvettes over the years including ... In no particular order '59, '61, 3 '88s, 2 '92's, '93, '99, 2 '05's, 2 '06's , '14 Z51 and now a '15 Z06 Cpe. Our kids have been pictured in front of many of my 44 Musclecars and 15 Corvettes that I have owned over the years but it still doesn't beat my wife's involvement with Corvette's. Included below are pics of her parents in their 1957 Corvette on Daytona Beach when my Mother in Law was pregnant in 1960 with my wife. Enjoy some of the pictures from years ago and feel free to share pics and stories of what got you started Driving America's #1 Sports Car. 38 yrs of selling Corvettes and the ride has been great, hope you enjoyed what I shared from the past many decades of my Corvette involvement.

~My wife's parents and their 1957 that he bought in 1958 and put 105,000 miles on it in 4 years! He also owned a 61 and a 75 back in the day.

~The Corvette that started my addiction...1978 Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car.

~My first Corvette...1959 Dual carbs.

and then my 61 with dual carbs...

~Our son in the '61...reminds me of his Mothers picture in their '57!

-Our son and daughter on top of my '88 35th Anniv #131.

~My brother and I over 25 years ago in my '59. RIP

~I have had Zora Autographs many times in person back in the day...

~Won several National Corvette Sales Contests which won me trips to Lemans in France.

~Always have had great Corvette inventory to sell from...

~Visited with many Corvette customers

...and they have visited with me for decades...

~Had a Boston Corvette customer invite me to Fenway Park for a Red Sox game and he had my name put on the scoreboard in the middle of the 5th!

and I watched my 1967 442 W-30 go across the Blocks at Barrett Jackson.

~I certainly have kept Plycon Trucking busy over the years..

~Pictured with my 8,000 mile '92.

~ and driving my new 2006 Z06 off the truck with only 1 mile on the odometer.
[URL=http://s420.photobucket.com/user/mfurman7/media/scan0012.jpg.html][URL]https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/c7-general-discussion/c7-general-discussion/

Met with James Brown...

...and visited the GM Heritage Center.

along with viewing much of GM's private archives!

~Test drove many of the new prototypes for the last 5 Generations.

~and have seen the end of several generations being delivered.

~Seen many iconic Corvettes come and go.

~Hosted many Corvette Clubs, some as far away as Norway.

~Seen many new Corvette announcements...

~and my picture on the Adam's Polishes Gift Box

~Seen many cool Corvette collections both near and far.

~Spent 38 yrs attending Corvettes at Carlisle.

...and attended Bloomington Gold a few times.

...and met with the men of Callaway many times...

~Even delivered a New '15 Stingray Z51 on a Bravo TV Show to some reality stars.

~Delivered a ton of Special Signature editions...

...and watched as Eddie Murphy took delivery of 10 Corvettes for he and his entourage.

~Been inside the Corvette Plant and Museum many times.

...and set up Hundreds of Corvette Museum deliveries for my Customers...but never my own, YET ...even though I am a Lifetime Member and an Ambassador for the Museum!

~Will some day own a '63 Split Window...are you listening GM???

~I currently own this 2015 Z06 Cpe in Laguna Blue.

~and I still get a thrill with each and every Corvette delivery!

~That's my trip down Memory Lane. Save the Wave!

Mike Furman
Criswell Chevrolet
Gaithersburg, MD
www.corvettefurman.com
301-212-4420

Last edited by Mike Furman@Criswell; 09-13-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:23 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Great stories, great photos, great Bio, just keep living the dream with your family!

I've had a couple C4's and one C5, Didn't bother posting photos since all anyone needs to do is see my forum gallery. It's my keeper since it's built just for me.

I got my first Corvette after all the kids got raised, retired from the Army, survived the first heart attack, then finally decided to live a little before being ushered into the next life. Now 15 years after that first ER visit as the surgeons discussed how to remove my heart for unscheduled maintenance, I'm living the dream!

Last edited by sfc rick; 09-14-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:35 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 375 Posts

Default My corvette addiction

It was in the early 60s that I started watching Route 66 on TV. Tod and Buzz were driving a 1960 Corvette the first time I saw the show and I knew then that I would own one some day. My first car was a 1963 Convertible that I purchased from a local Chevrolet dealer for $800.00 and it did run. This was in 1969 and I completely restored that car and I was hooked from that time on. In 1980 I realized my dream of owning a car like I saw in Route 66. I purchased a 1959 from a local Honda Motorcycle dealer dealer for $3990.00, it was really a basket case, all the parts were there but needed a lot of work. Three years of hard work and lots of dollars and I finished a complete frame off restoration of that car. Have been doing Corvettes ever since and I will be 67 years old this coming week and still enjoy working on these great cars. I will add some pics of them later today. Thanks for sharing your story and pics Mike.

Before and after on the 59 and a 68

Last edited by zachaeous; 09-13-2015 at 01:58 PM. Reason: pictures added
The following users liked this post:
Mike Furman@Criswell (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 01:42 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

What an incredible post Mike - - -even saw some of our friends from Arizona ! Great to meet you at the Prescott Vette Sette Show. (coming up September 26th)

This ad appeared in one of the car mags - - -that did it for me.

Hope to see you again soon and thanks for all you do for the brand !

Rollie
Old 09-13-2015, 02:08 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Good times!

Old 09-13-2015, 04:24 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default www.corvettefurman.com ~ 301-212-4420 ~ Mike Furman

[QUOTE=zachaeous;1590482095]It was in the early 60s that I started watching Route 66 on TV. Tod and Buzz were driving a 1960 Corvette the first time I saw the show and I knew then that I would own one some day. My first car was a 1963 Convertible that I purchased from a local Chevrolet dealer for $800.00 and it did run. This was in 1969 and I completely restored that car and I was hooked from that time on. In 1980 I realized my dream of owning a car like I saw in Route 66. I purchased a 1959 from a local Honda Motorcycle dealer dealer for $3990.00, it was really a basket case, all the parts were there but needed a lot of work. Three years of hard work and lots of dollars and I finished a complete frame off restoration of that car. Have been doing Corvettes ever since and I will be 67 years old this coming week and still enjoy working on these great cars. I will add some pics of them later today. Thanks for sharing your story and pics Mike. :thumbs

Thats very cool!!

Mike Furman
www.corvettefurman.com

Old 09-13-2015, 04:26 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by CQRT

What an incredible post Mike - - -even saw some of our friends from Arizona ! Great to meet you at the Prescott Vette Sette Show. (coming up September 26th)

This ad appeared in one of the car mags - - -that did it for me.

Hope to see you again soon and thanks for all you do for the brand !

Rollie
I loved all the ads back then as well!!

Mike Furman
www.corvettefurman.com

Old 09-13-2015, 05:26 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Wow, similar story. My little itty bitty city I grew up in had a Chevy dealership. I was only 11 years old so I can't remember why my Dad took me to the dealership, but there was a 78 Pace Car in the showroom. I was instantly hooked and I said "Dad, someday I'll own a Corvette". Well, today I have two C5s and owned a previous C5.

An image of a 78

My two C5s.
The 98:

My 02:
Old 09-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I was 8 years old in 1954 and I had a paper route in Iowa. A doctor along my route won one of the original 300 1953 Corvettes on a TV show. He parked it outside, in front of his house, and it was there every day when I delivered the Des Moines register to him. I had to have one. About two years later I bought a Schwinn "Corvette" in candy apple red. I'd saved my paper route money, and money from shoveling snow, enabling me to buy it. That was the beginning. I've now owned 6 or 7 starting with a 1964 vert.

I'm now in my 70's and I have two C-5s, one that I drive daily to the golf club etc. (It has well over 100,000 miles on it, and I pretty much maintain it myself. In the past I've posted pictures of the 1957 Schwinn Corvette that I found at a flea market and restored. I no longer have it as someone else wanted it more than I did.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default Www.corvettefurman.com

Originally Posted by Phanni
I was 8 years old in 1954 and I had a paper route in Iowa. A doctor along my route won one of the original 300 1953 Corvettes on a TV show. He parked it outside, in front of his house, and it was there every day when I delivered the Des Moines register to him. I had to have one. About two years later I bought a Schwinn "Corvette" in candy apple red. I'd saved my paper route money, and money from shoveling snow, enabling me to buy it. That was the beginning. I've now owned 6 or 7 starting with a 1964 vert.

I'm now in my 70's and I have two C-5s, one that I drive daily to the golf club etc. (It has well over 100,000 miles on it, and I pretty much maintain it myself. In the past I've posted pictures of the 1957 Schwinn Corvette that I found at a flea market and restored. I no longer have it as someone else wanted it more than I did.
Great story. Thank you for sharing!

Mike Furman
Old 09-13-2015, 07:10 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

This was in a magazine at the Dr.s office in 1996/97 while I was waiting, the performance stats and sharp beauty of this Gulstrand GS made me start Corvette dreaming...

Soon after I found this 1974 L48 on the used lot at Edwards AFB, ca. I guy fixed it up as a graduation gift for his daughter, but she had a boyfriend her dad disapproved of and he gave her a choice the car or the boy...I had it for 16 years and sold it in 2013.

I used the cash from the 74 as a good start on this 2001 in Nov 2013:

Then add this Y2K in May of 2014:

I guess I am addicted....I love Corvettes!

Last edited by jdvann; 09-13-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:51 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

When I was a kid, I mean from when I was around 8 or 9, my neighbor was the big brother I never had. He was a total car guy, and I naturally followed. In 1963, when I was in high school, he drove up in a brand new, 1963, black on black, split window fuelie coupe from Malcolm Konner Chevrolet in Paramus. I was in shock. Within a few days he took me for a ride. I was totally hooked. I had to have a Vette, it was just that simple. Long story short, finished high school, got a Chemistry degree, then a MBA, a good job and my first Vette, a 69 Vert. After many years and a 79 coupe that came and went, I parted with the 69 and finished raising a family. When the kids were gone and I picked up a consulting gig, I wanted back into Corvette ownership. Three years ago, the C5 was the answer. Owning a Vette is just something that gets into your mind and won't let go.
Attached Images  

Last edited by roadbike56; 09-13-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by roadbike56
When I was a kid, I mean from when I was around 8 or 9, my neighbor was the big brother I never had. He was a total car guy, and I naturally followed. In 1963, when I was in high school, he drove up in a brand new, 1963, black on black, split window fuelie coupe from Malcolm Konner Chevrolet in Paramus. I was in shock. Within a few days he took me for a ride. I was totally hooked. I had to have a Vette, it was just that simple. Long story short, finished high school, got a Chemistry degree, then a MBA, a good job and my first Vette, a 69 Vert. After many years and a 79 coupe that came and went, I parted with the 69 and finished raising a family. When the kids were gone and I picked up a consulting gig, I wanted back into Corvette ownership. Three years ago, the C5 was the answer. Owning a Vette is just something that gets into your mind and won't let go.
Great story and excellent final point.

Mike Furman
Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

When I was in 7th grade, we were stationed in Naples, Italy ('68-'71). We were on base one day and I saw an officer's brand new '68 coupe. I had no idea what it was, but knew instantly that I was in love with that car!!! I asked my mom what it was and she told me it was a Corvette. I told her right then and there that I would have one someday and she said,"You can have one of those when you can afford the car, the insurance, and your pre-paid funeral!!" Well, some twenty-odd years later, I had two out of three of those and got my first 'Vette. Haven't looked back since! Would still like to have a '68 or '69 C3 someday!!

DSTURBD
Old 09-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
When I was in 7th grade, we were stationed in Naples, Italy ('68-'71). We were on base one day and I saw an officer's brand new '68 coupe. I had no idea what it was, but knew instantly that I was in love with that car!!! I asked my mom what it was and she told me it was a Corvette. I told her right then and there that I would have one someday and she said,"You can have one of those when you can afford the car, the insurance, and your pre-paid funeral!!" Well, some twenty-odd years later, I had two out of three of those and got my first 'Vette. Haven't looked back since! Would still like to have a '68 or '69 C3 someday!!

DSTURBD
Great story and congrats!!!

Mike Furman
Www.corvettefurman.com
DSTURBD (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 10:13 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Wow! Thanks for painting a great picture Some great stuff you shared with us! My story is boring. BUT I do love Corvettes
Old 09-13-2015, 10:16 PM
Sea Vette
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I blame my dad

Dad is now a mechanic, but he used to work at a Corvette bodyshop in NJ back in the 70's, so my younger brother and I grew up around fast cars. We've always been a GM family, and he always had a soft spot for Tri-5's, street rods, and Corvettes. He never hangs on to a car for long, but enjoys building C1's out of spare pieces most would throw away.

I have been overdue for a new car since my new job, and was going to buy a new Camaro. I wanted something reliable, a daily driver with a V8 that looked good, and I was sort of settling on the idea of picking up a lightly used SS. Until one day I realized I didn't really like the way they looked and it dawned on me that I could get a Corvette for much cheaper (and much better looking IMO).

I looked around locally (used car lots ) for a car but everything was way overpriced, in bad shape, and automatic Once my dad got wind I was in the market for a C5 he asked a friend of his if he knew anyone selling. The rest, as they say, is history. Found a guy in Jersey selling a one owner 2000 Magnetic Red Coupe M6 with 64k on the clock. The price was right and I flew back to Pennsylvania in August to pick it up and drive the 1000+ miles back to Mississippi where I'm stationed.

This car never fails to put a smile on my face

Get notified of new replies

To What got you started on the Corvette addiction? Then and Now Pictures for me.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by Sea Vette
I blame my dad

Dad is now a mechanic, but he used to work at a Corvette bodyshop in NJ back in the 70's, so my younger brother and I grew up around fast cars. We've always been a GM family, and he always had a soft spot for Tri-5's, street rods, and Corvettes. He never hangs on to a car for long, but enjoys building C1's out of spare pieces most would throw away.

I have been overdue for a new car since my new job, and was going to buy a new Camaro. I wanted something reliable, a daily driver with a V8 that looked good, and I was sort of settling on the idea of picking up a lightly used SS. Until one day I realized I didn't really like the way they looked and it dawned on me that I could get a Corvette for much cheaper (and much better looking IMO).

I looked around locally (used car lots ) for a car but everything was way overpriced, in bad shape, and automatic Once my dad got wind I was in the market for a C5 he asked a friend of his if he knew anyone selling. The rest, as they say, is history. Found a guy in Jersey selling a one owner 2000 Magnetic Red Coupe M6 with 64k on the clock. The price was right and I flew back to Pennsylvania in August to pick it up and drive the 1000+ miles back to Mississippi where I'm stationed.

This car never fails to put a smile on my face
Great memories...glad the Corvette still makes you smile. I consider my Corvette to be my therapy.

Mike Furman
www.corvettefurman.com

sonny557 (09-17-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 08:45 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Great story MIKE and thank you for sharing your memories and pics!

My wife was the one with the Vette bug in our family so, for our 25th Wedding Anniversary I bought her a 1978 Corvette... I entered the car in the local Corvette Club Show, took her to the show... she had NO idea the car we walked by several times during the day was HER new car... they announced at the trophy presentations that this was Miss Bridgets New to her Corvette for her anniversary... Never saw her speechless before or after that day. That's her crying... and giving me the evil eye.

Took her to Bloomington the next year and her car Benchmarked... her with one of the judges... she never meets a stranger.

So, it wasn't much fun driving it... We were always concerned it would get scratched or hit, and they are only unrestored, original one time.

So, we traded for this 73 Big BLock 4 spd car...

She couldn't see out of it very well, so we sold it and got the 04 6spd Vert our current car... which she LOVES and can drive the crap out of it...
She is one of the kindest, ladies on the planet and this is a pic of her taking some of her special needs students for a ride to the Sonic, because they did something in her class to earn it... she promised them a ride for whatever it was they were doing so, she kept her word. Rare in this day and age... She tells her kids if you want to be different " Be NICE" She is a shining example of what being an educator is all about.

This could be our last corvette or maybe not... who knows what the future holds?

Last edited by 73Corvette; 09-14-2015 at 08:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 73Corvette:
Mike Furman@Criswell (09-14-2015), zachaeous (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 08:56 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,369 Likes on 827 Posts

WOW this thread has a ton of win!! Great stuff.
Mike Furman@Criswell (09-14-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What got you started on the Corvette addiction? Then and Now Pictures for me.