Sponsored by:

Factory alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Factory alarm system

Last night at 3am my car alarm went off. I went outside and everything looked normal. I don't have an enclosed garage, just a carport.

I hit the panic button on the fob and the alarm shut off. But this morning when I went outside, I noticed the fob had lost sync and I had to hold the lock and unlock buttons to get it working again.

Does that always happen when the the alarm is triggered ? How sensitive is the alarm anyways ? That's the first time it's ever gone off

I've tried opening the doors after it was locked up and the alarm didn't trigger. I guess you have to really bump the car to make it go off ?

I wonder if this was a coincidence, is it possible the alarm had a malfunction, or was someone messing with the car and took off running after the alarm sounded ?

Thinking I should get an aftermarket alarm with a proximity sensor.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,280 Likes on 13,958 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

What kind of condition is your battery in? A weak battery can cause a lot of strange things to happen to the car. As far as I know, the alarm only goes off if the doors or rear hatch are opened without using the key or unlocking with the fob. Shaking the car should not set off the alarm, at least it has never done so with my car.

And I the alarm goes off, you should not have to re-sync the fob to the car.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:27 PM
glastec1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

battery up?
Old 09-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Ok thanks for the tips guys.

I had actually just replaced the battery in the fobs last week. But the main car battery did get really low about 3 weeks ago. I was out of town a few days and when I came back it was dead. I got a jump start and drove it for an hour before parking and it seemed to be fine since then, but maybe I should replace it anyways.

And the fob I have been using on my keychain is kind of beat up. The edge of the plastic is actually cracked. So maybe that chip inside is coming loose. I will switch to using my other fob on my spare key chain, until I know what's up.

From what Vetteman Jack says, I don't think the alarm was triggered by a thief, because the doors and hatch were still closed and locked.

I wonder if my cracked fob had some kind of electrical fault that caused the panic to get triggered. Very weird.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Thanks again for the link 8VETTE7. I opened both fobs and there is a short circuited or damage trace on the chip in the corner. I wonder if moisture got to it ? The backup fob looks pristine inside.

Inside bad fob:

Inside of backup fob :

Thanks again. My mind is at ease. I think this bad fob probably made the alarm go off accidentally.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Yeah the cracked fob lost sync once a few weeks ago before I switched the batteries and that didn't cause an alarm fault. Then the fob died completely. And the backup didn't work either. So I bought new batteries and both seemed to be working good again. But after the alarm incident last night and seeing the poor condition inside, I'm leaning towards that fob on my main keychain being responsible for triggering the panic alarm rather than a thief. At least I hope that was the case.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
I guess you have to really bump the car to make it go off ?
Since there aren't any bump/motion sensors in the factory system, it won't go off unless you bump it hard enough to pop open a door or the trunklid/hatch.
At which point having it stolen is the least of your problems.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:12 PM
roadrashrepairman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a problem with my 98. My electronics guy just add a remote start and two new key fobs to solve the problem
Old 10-03-2015, 10:51 AM
vettelover8306
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
Ok thanks for the tips guys.

I had actually just replaced the battery in the fobs last week. But the main car battery did get really low about 3 weeks ago. I was out of town a few days and when I came back it was dead. I got a jump start and drove it for an hour before parking and it seemed to be fine since then, but maybe I should replace it anyways.

And the fob I have been using on my keychain is kind of beat up. The edge of the plastic is actually cracked. So maybe that chip inside is coming loose. I will switch to using my other fob on my spare key chain, until I know what's up.

From what Vetteman Jack says, I don't think the alarm was triggered by a thief, because the doors and hatch were still closed and locked.

I wonder if my cracked fob had some kind of electrical fault that caused the panic to get triggered. Very weird.
Something similar happened to me....check the ground

Get notified of new replies

To Factory alarm system

Quick Reply: Factory alarm system