Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 04:26 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Default Help with Dr. Colorchip Please

OK, I bought a Dr. Colorchip kit for my MSG, 04 Coupe. It just arrived. In doing my homework on this kit, I found that prepping the surface is critical to success. I'd appreciate input from those that have used Dr. Colorchip how did you prep the surface where the chip was and was your system successful.
Also, one other question. The instructions say to buff the area as the last step. Did anyone use wax or polish for this last step or just a plain cloth?
Please only those that have used Dr. Colorchip as that's the system purchased.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:01 PM
jmohn
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried it. It didn't work (no matter what tactic I used). $50.00 wasted.
I do suggest you try their touch-up paint on a piece of scrap and compare to your car before committing to using it; I found it a real problem to find any touch-up paint (including a specific mix to paint code aerosol) to match the medium spiral gray on my '04 coupe.

I can only wish you the best of luck.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:18 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

I had experience with Dr. Chip on another project and thought it would be a total waste of time...
If your chips in your Spiral Medium Gray car are like the numerous chips I have successfully repaired then they are only Clear Coat chips...if you need help give me a shout...check your PM box.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I had experience with Dr. Chip on another project and thought it would be a total waste of time...
If your chips in your Spiral Medium Gray car are like the numerous chips I have successfully repaired then they are only Clear Coat chips...if you need help give me a shout...check your PM box.

I just did my 1998 metallic silver on a chip and it did not match and really look worse than the chip did. I consider it a waste of money. I followed direction and viewed web site twice. Not the process but the color match. I guess the metallic silver is just hard to match.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:50 PM
SMT1004
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

I found it to match perfectly on my LeMans Blue color. Clean out chip with a degreaser, let dry, follow instructions. Takes a few coats to fill any deep chips. Don't use more paint than necessary to fill chip. As for polishing use any car product that is a polish first, then some wax. Let it touch up paint dry a couple days before polishing. If your handy and can do a little wet sanding and polishing you can just buy touch up paint for a few bucks. If you have a multiple chips Dr. Colorchip is good.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:08 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have used it with great success. If you watch the video on there website, then the trick is to drop the paint before the chip, and then swipe.
I have done mine to bad chip, two years ago now, and you will never see it.
Also did friends car, with great success.
PRACTICE, it works.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:05 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

I had good results from using Dr. Colorchip on my black 04. U watched the video several times and followed the instructions. I had many small stone nicks on the front. I practiced on a not so visible area (underneath the front bumper cowling) so the oops were few.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:23 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I just used Dr Color Chip on my magnetic red C5. Matched perfectly. But be realistic. There's a chip in the paint, the goal here is to make it less noticeable, not repaint the car.

I washed the car, clay barred it, and used little alcohol on a cue tip to extra clean the chip. Use small amounts of paint, and then swipe. It dries in mins. Then go back and use the solvent stuff. Just lightly buff with a clean micro fiber towel afterwards. Nothing more required. It's super easy.

Just a heads up, it you are doing some extensive buffing at the same time, an aggressive compound and a DA polisher will lift the touch up paint, even if it has dried for a week. I had to go back and touch up some areas.

Overall I was very happy with the product.

**just noticed you are in Holly Springs, NC. Hey neighbor! I'm over off Ten Ten Rd.

Last edited by bigmackloud; 10-03-2015 at 12:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
doublenut9 (10-10-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 07:12 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
I just used Dr Color Chip on my magnetic red C5. Matched perfectly. But be realistic. There's a chip in the paint, the goal here is to make it less noticeable, not repaint the car.

I washed the car, clay barred it, and used little alcohol on a cue tip to extra clean the chip. Use small amounts of paint, and then swipe. It dries in mins. Then go back and use the solvent stuff. Just lightly buff with a clean micro fiber towel afterwards. Nothing more required. It's super easy.

Just a heads up, it you are doing some extensive buffing at the same time, an aggressive compound and a DA polisher will lift the touch up paint, even if it has dried for a week. I had to go back and touch up some areas.

Overall I was very happy with the product.

**just noticed you are in Holly Springs, NC. Hey neighbor! I'm over off Ten Ten Rd.
Just off ten ten eh? You probably heard a little white z06 going by a time or two then. I lived in downtown Raleigh but had friends out that way, great place to live!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:51 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
I have used it with great success. If you watch the video on their website, the trick is to drop the paint before the chip, and then swipe.
PRACTICE, it works.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Dr. Colorchip Please

Quick Reply: Help with Dr. Colorchip Please