Sponsored by:

Hankook Ventus v12 Evo's

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Hankook Ventus v12 Evo's

I will be replacing my Goodyear run-flats very soon with non-run flats. The Hankook Ventus v12 Evo's have a lot of positive feedback here on the C5 forum. Some of you are on your second set. What is the latest, are you all still happy with them? Would you buy again, if not what? Thanks!
Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 PM
meadrocks
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine for a month, have less than 100 miles on em, but so far they are so much better than the orig Goodyear run flats. I used to have to drive with both hands on the wheel cause if the Goodyears found a seam in the road they would grab it & jerk the car all over. Now I can drive with 1 hand, like a real car. I installed a db meter on my cell & compared before & after noise levels, no change there.
The following users liked this post:
Ceedub53 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:04 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

I replaced my OE Goodyear runflats (10+ years old) with the Hankook Ventus v12 Evos about a year ago & man what a difference. Handles great, smooth ride & so much quieter. Got a great deal on mine from Tirerack.com. Had them delivered directly to a local tire store that mounted & balanced for $25 per tire.
Ceedub53 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:22 PM
3tt3v8P
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Been running them for 2 1/2 years now and they are doing great. Very noticeable sound difference between them and the run flats. Mine is a vert. Ride is exceptional. Hope this helps
Ceedub53 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:59 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
That's kind of hard to believe, going from GY runflats to any kind of non-runflats. Maybe the db meter didn't pick up a change, because before it was picking up the tire sound while after it was picking up the exhaust sound. The tire sound is definitely less with the non-runflats compared to the GY runflats, at least from my experience.
I thought the same. Driving down the road I couldn't carry on a conversation with anyone before I got rid of the runflats. Now with the Hankooks all I hear is the sweet rumble of the exhaust.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaJ
I thought the same. Driving down the road I couldn't carry on a conversation with anyone before I got rid of the runflats. Now with the Hankooks all I hear is the sweet rumble of the exhaust.
Probably a frequency effect: the exhaust note is louder but lower frequency, the tire noise tends to be up higher in the speech range.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:11 PM
meadrocks
Navigator

That's kind of hard to believe, going from GY runflats to any kind of non-runflats. Maybe the db meter didn't pick up a change, because before it was picking up the tire sound while after it was picking up the exhaust sound. The tire sound is definitely less with the non-runflats compared to the GY runflats, at least from my experience.
Also I have no idea how accurate my cell / db meter setup is. I did the measurements on the fwy @ 70 mph, radio off. This was meant to be an experiment, not trusting my ears to tell me 'Yes, its much quieter with the new tires', which is what my mind was expecting.

Last edited by meadrocks; 10-21-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:10 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had these tires before, although not on my vette. It's a good tire for the dollar. I wouldn't doubt they are better than the run-flats. I've never liked any run-flat tire for that matter. However, you shouldn't be comparing a 10 year-old run flat to a brand new tire.

In my eyes, you've got a performance vehicle, shell out the coin for a good performance tire like a Michelin PSS or similar.
Ceedub53 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 05:16 PM
jesup16
Racer

Are you saying the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (or its successor the Evo2) is not a good performance tire? Because if that's what you're saying, I think you'll find many who would disagree.
I'm not saying it's a poor tire. I'm saying it's a good value tire. I would not say it's a good performance tire. However, the OP really didn't add much clarity to what he wants out of the tire.

Value = benefit/cost

If the OP just wants something better than 10 year old run-flats and isn't considering performance as a key differentiator, than it's a good value.

If the OP wants a performance tire with little regard to cost, there's better choices out there.
Ceedub53 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 05:45 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

For a lot of us, it's all the performance tire we need. I'll never push my car past what the Hankook can deliver, since I won't be racing it anytime soon. I'll buy another set if i'm still alive when these wear out.
Ceedub53 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

It is a good performance tire. I have won several autocross events beating R compound and other high performance tires. Great Bang for the Buck. I also just bought a set for my BMW
Old 10-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The Hankooks are also very safe in the rain. For those who are not afraid of driving in the rain. I was caught in a heavy rain storm coming back from an event and I was shocked how well they drive.
Ceedub53 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 06:18 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I have had 2 sets of them. I would buy them again too.

Better handling, smoother ride, quieter than the stock Goodyear tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by QCVette:
Ceedub53 (10-21-2015), Kevinl (10-22-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 06:44 PM
jesup16
Racer

Originally Posted by Bimmervet
It is a good performance tire. I have won several autocross events beating R compound and other high performance tires. Great Bang for the Buck. I also just bought a set for my BMW
I highly doubt you beat a decent driver on R-comp's. This is misleading.

I've beaten quite a few r-comp equipped cars on street tires at auto-x, too. Mostly because of my experience at autocrossing...not because of my tires. I'm definitely not going to make an allegation or give the impression a V12 Evo tire (or any street tire) can hold a candle to r-comps in terms of performance.

Like I said, I owned a set of these (so my experience is relevant). I've even autocrossed on them. I had them on a M3, but they came with the car. I did not choose to buy them. I replaced them shortly because I did not care for them. If you want a tire to cruise down the highway with, they are ok. I found them to be moderate in the noise department. I also found them to be moderate in grip and treadwear. That's my experience with the V12. There are better options out there, that's my opinion. I really like the Michelin PSS. They are in the same category treadwear wise and are worth the $ to me.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jesup16
I'm not saying it's a poor tire. I'm saying it's a good value tire. I would not say it's a good performance tire. However, the OP really didn't add much clarity to what he wants out of the tire.

Value = benefit/cost

If the OP just wants something better than 10 year old run-flats and isn't considering performance as a key differentiator, than it's a good value.

If the OP wants a performance tire with little regard to cost, there's better choices out there.
I'm looking for great ride quality, less road noise. A tire that can handle wet conditions when needed.The performance aspects are important, but not something that trumps a great ride. I guess I'm getting old.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've had my Hankook Ventus EVOs on my car for several years now and yes, I would definitely buy another set. I have been very pleased with the ride, handling, low road noise and traction from those tires. Plus the price is certainly a very positive thing.
Ceedub53 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 08:52 PM
jesup16
Racer

Originally Posted by Ceedub53
I'm looking for great ride quality, less road noise. A tire that can handle wet conditions when needed.The performance aspects are important, but not something that trumps a great ride. I guess I'm getting old.
What's your budget? I think PSS are a great value compared to OEM Goodyear prices.

I would definitely not buy another set of OEM Goodyear's unless I had a collectable car I was trying to keep as close to factory as possible.

Tirerack has V12 Evo2 for $615 in OEM Sizes. These are definitely a value alternative to the OEM Goodyear run flats.

Tirerack has the PSS for $928.40 in OEM sizes. I think this is the best performance option for your stated requirements above. I don't think you want to go below 300 treadwear.

Tirerack has the OEM Goodyear F1 GS for $1438.78

In the end, everybody has different tastes, opinions, and budgets. I was just presenting an alternative.

There's alternatives in the same price point to the V12's, too. Of those listed on Tirerack, I have only experience with the BFG Comp-2. Of which, I probably prefer the Comp-2 to the V12's. I've also heard good things about the Dunlap Direzza.

Also, I've ran several set of Hankook for autocross/track. I have nothing personal against Hankook.

Last edited by jesup16; 10-21-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hankook Ventus v12 Evo's

Old 10-21-2015, 09:06 PM
jesup16
Racer

You're not making a valid comparison. That's like comparing steak to hamburger meat pricewise. If someone spent twice as much as what the Hankook cost, don't you think you ought to get a better tire? Doesn't change the fact that for the price, the Hankook is a damn good performance tire. Maybe not up to your standards (because you "really like the Michelin PSS"), but many of us feel the Hankook is a better tire for the money outlaid.
PSS's are not double the price. See my above post with tirerack pricing. But they are more expensive for sure.

Also, my perception is the OP is driving a "steak". Why put "hamburger" tires on it?

The PSS is also the OEM tire for several performance cars. The V12 is not. So even though its my opinion, some of the manufacturers support that opinion.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 PM
jesup16
Racer

Ok, so how about this? I picked up a full set of V12 Evo for $378 ($446 shipped) in OEM sizes last year. Granted, that was a closeout price on the previous version (the V12 Evo), but that's what made the "value" (i.e., benefit/cost) so attractive on those tires. I got a set of good performance tires for 41 cents on the dollar compared to the price of the PSS today. That in my book was "the best performance option for the dollar."
You clearly got a one off deal. I admit, that would be a tough deal to walk away from. Now you're making an unjust comparison because that deal and version of tire are not available to the OP.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:46 PM
jesup16
Racer

The PSS were more than double the price when I bought last year. See my above post.

As to your "steak" vs. "hamburger" reply, how do you know the OP is necessarily wanting to pay for "steak?" I didn't necessarily get that impression, based on his comments in post #22 above.

As far as the PSS being "the OEM tire for several performance cars," don't put so much credibility in that. Mobil1 is the preferred oil for our Vettes, doesn't mean it's the best oil for them.
The OP hasn't given his budget.

Motor oil versus tires is not even a close comparison. Tires probably have the single biggest impact on driving experience, road feel, performance, etc. Motor oil does not.

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus v12 Evo's