Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many coats of wax do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 08:09 AM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default How many coats of wax do you use?

I just finished doing paint correction on my 2000 vert, took my time and did it right. Came out pretty good for a 15 year old paint job with 80K miles on it. Being black, like most dark paint, every little scratch shows up. I'm using Turtle Wax Ice because it does not leave any white residue, and on a black car, this is very important. I have 2 coats on it now, will more coats help prevent the little scratches that are so annoying? I always use microfiber towels with quick detailer to wipe it down, but still get the small scratches sometimes. I know the Turtle Wax is not a high end wax, and some will bash me for using it, I get it, but the non-residue feature really makes life much easier when waxing. What are your thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
roadbike56 (10-27-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I use Turtle Wax Ice too for the same reason - no white residue. Besides is is easy to apply and lasts a long time. I only put in one coat of wax - that seems to do the job for me.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Polish is what i use, not wax. Polish will move the clear enough to remove light scratches. On the black i would not use microfiber, I believe that it is a little coarse on the clear. I don't use a towel of any kind to dry a car, I use the absorber. Can be had at any part or discount store. To remove the polish i like a towel that is as much percentage of cotton as possible. I use zanio and the towels they sell.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:54 AM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I use Meguiars on my daily drivers and seems to last about a year thru the sun and harsh winters with salt, sand and snow. On the Vette the first and only wax so far has been P21S 100% Carnuba. Applies and removes easily with no white residue on trim. It doesn't seem to last as long as I've applied 2x this spring/summer but really like the shine. I also clay bar before each application. I only apply 1 coat and wait till it looks like it could benefit another.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Another Meguiars, also just one coat...
Old 10-22-2015, 11:43 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

Griot's Best of Show Wax is what I have been using for yrs. My garage queen get hand washed once a yr. One coat of Griot's after clay bar. Calif Duster & various quick detailers used on my Torch Red FRC.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:47 AM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 VET
Griot's Best of Show Wax is what I have been using for yrs. My garage queen get hand washed once a yr. One coat of Griot's after clay bar. Calif Duster & various quick detailers used on my Torch Red FRC.
What type of towel do you use with your detailers?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:06 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

It is not "how many" coats you use. One is enough. Don't waste your time.

Just do it often..................once a month.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I use Turtle Wax Ice too for the same reason - no white residue. Besides is is easy to apply and lasts a long time. I only put in one coat of wax - that seems to do the job for me.

I use Turtle Wax Ice too...normally two coats; only takes 30 to 45 minutes per coat, and like Vetteman Jack says, it goes on easy, looks great, and lasts.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default I posted these phots in another thread.

Ive used Zaino for 16 years. I have some tricks. Old cotton t shirts. Dried in the cloths dryer right before using to remove any moisture, cotton absorbs moisture, especially in humid air. this moisture smears any wax or polish. I also do not apply or remover in circles.. I go front to rear, the same idea as when you polished your belt buckle in the service. Same idea when you polish your tail light lenses.

Many know I have been very sick over the last two years, I have not touched my car in two years, other than a light dusting with detailer. The shine on my car, even after two years is simply amazing... when I do Zaino my car, I use as little as possible.. just a few drops on each panel, massage it in ( back and forth ) , then move on to the next panel, while the first panel is drying off.. once the second panel is polished, I go in a take a warm soft cotton cloth from the dryer, and wipe off the first panel, Zaino does not chalk, once the polish is removed, I go over that panel with some detailer. once the first panel is done, and the second is drying, I go to the third panel and apply the polish, once that is done, I go get my take off cloth from the dryer ( put four or five in the dryer for a few minutes to remove the moisture and make them very soft and warm, you will be amazed how the polish comes off when the cloth is really dry and warm.
Panels??? panel #1 front fender panel # 2 driver door panel #3 rear quarter. I change which panel I start with, but the car is polished by panel size.. fenders doors, quarters, top, hatch , rear fascia, front fascia, hood. I can do my whole car in under 45 minutes, start to finish, in this case less wax or polish is better than more. two or three drops a panel. I can do my car about 8 or 9 times with one 9 oz. bottle of Zaino.
Not touched in 2 years.
recent photos curtesy of Zaino

Says a lot about Zaino

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 10-22-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Ive used Zaino for 16 years. I have some tricks. Old cotton t shirts. Dried in the cloths dryer right before using to remove any moisture, cotton absorbs moisture, especially in humid air. this moisture smears any wax or polish. I also do not apply or remover in circles.. I go front to rear, the same idea as when you polished your belt buckle in the service. Same idea when you polish your tail light lenses.

Many know I have been very sick over the last two years, I have not touched my car in two years, other than a light dusting with detailer. The shine on my car, even after two years is simply amazing... when I do Zaino my car, I use as little as possible.. just a few drops on each panel, massage it in ( back and forth ) , then move on to the next panel, while the first panel is drying off.. once the second panel is polished, I go in a take a warm soft cotton cloth from the dryer, and wipe off the first panel, Zaino does not chalk, once the polish is removed, I go over that panel with some detailer. once the first panel is done, and the second is drying, I go to the third panel and apply the polish, once that is done, I go get my take off cloth from the dryer ( put four or five in the dryer for a few minutes to remove the moisture and make them very soft and warm, you will be amazed how the polish comes off when the cloth is really dry and warm.
Panels??? panel #1 front fender panel # 2 driver door panel #3 rear quarter. I change which panel I start with, but the car is polished by panel size.. fenders doors, quarters, top, hatch , rear fascia, front fascia, hood. I can do my whole car in under 45 minutes, start to finish, in this case less wax or polish is better than more. two or three drops a panel. I can do my car about 8 or 9 times with one 9 oz. bottle of Zaino.
Not touched in 2 years.
recent photos curtesy of Zaino

Says a lot about Zaino
Looks great. Zaino is all I have used on my vette's for the past 10 years. Hope you feel better.
Evil-Twin (10-26-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 03:48 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
Polish is what i use, not wax. Polish will move the clear enough to remove light scratches. On the black i would not use microfiber, I believe that it is a little coarse on the clear. I don't use a towel of any kind to dry a car, I use the absorber. Can be had at any part or discount store. To remove the polish i like a towel that is as much percentage of cotton as possible. I use zanio and the towels they sell.
An absorber does not pick up dirt like a microfiber does. The absorber trapes the dirt you missed on the wash and dust/dirt in the air between the clear and the absorber. The absorber does not pick up dirt like a microfiber does. Most small scratches and swirl marks are caused by improper drying off the car after washing it. A good microfiber towel will not scratch the paint at all. Yes it great to use a polish and it does last longer but it does not give it as deep of a shine and clarity as wax does. Best to use a polish and wax.

Last edited by zdeckich; 10-22-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zdeckich
An absorber does not pick up dirt like a microfiber does. The absorber trapes the dirt you missed on the wash and dust/dirt in the air between the clear and the absorber. The absorber does not pick up dirt like a microfiber does. Most small scratches and swirl marks are caused by improper drying off the car after washing it. A good microfiber towel will not scratch the paint at all. Yes it great to use a polish and it does last longer but it does not give it as deep of a shine and clarity as wax does. Best to use a polish and wax.
I have been using an absorber for over 17 years and have never scratched a surface of a car. On the other hand i have drying the car with many different type of towels that have left scratches. I have for years used 100% cotton towels for polish that you can't no longer buy in the stores. I will never use wax on any of my cars. Did you see my car, No wax ever
Old 10-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

Says a lot about Zaino
________
I was hoping you'd see this thread and post some pictures of your car. I always enjoy seeing them.
Evil-Twin (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 07:13 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
I have been using an absorber for over 17 years and have never scratched a surface of a car. On the other hand i have drying the car with many different type of towels that have left scratches. I have for years used 100% cotton towels for polish that you can't no longer buy in the stores. I will never use wax on any of my cars. Did you see my car, No wax ever
Technology and paint has changed in 17 years as well. You can use steel wool to clean your car for all I care. Just telling you the facts. Your car for sure looks nice, just think how much better it would look if you used a wax over that polish. Not only would it shine better it would also last longer.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I use Turtle Wax Ice, one coat approx. every 3-4 months.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Technology and paint has changed in 17 years as well. You can use steel wool to clean your car for all I care. Just telling you the facts. Your car for sure looks nice, just think how much better it would look if you used a wax over that polish. Not only would it shine better it would also last longer.
Last longer than 24 months????? I never use wax, most use carnauba which is not 0btically clear but is yellow... who would want to put this over their car finish?

Over 50 years of detailing, and I've yet to find anything better. Or I would use it. I owe Zaino nothing, but I'm smart enough to use a product that works for me, better than any opf the hundreds of products I've tried over the years.

Zaino is 99% optically clear, its like putting a level of clear coat over your finish, after 16 years and 100,000 miles.. my car speaks for itself

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 10-22-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How many coats of wax do you use?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:11 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

2016 C5 of the Year

Never in my life have I heard any polish or wax last 2 years. That's because it doesn't. It will eventually burn off/evaporate. I'm not saying anything bad about Zaino. But I didn't know zaino is 100% clear, and im sure it not. If zaino works for you then that's great! I will not use it because Ammo NYC/Adams works for me great!!
Old 10-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Never in my life have I heard any polish or wax last 2 years. That's because it doesn't. It will eventually burn off/evaporate. I'm not saying anything bad about Zaino. But I didn't know zaino is 100% clear, and im sure it not. If zaino works for you then that's great! I will not use it because Ammo NYC/Adams works for me great!!
IN two places in this post you called me a liar,( see bolded statements ) but then in your third statement you said something about Zaino being 100% clear ( this tells me not only are you clueless, but need some rudimentary reading comprehension skills). While I have been convalescing from advanced staged cancer, Oct 13 2013, my car has been in the garage. I just started driving recently after serious health issues. I have yet to be able to Zaino my car.... and these photos are recent... Thank you so much for not only calling me a lair, but proving to others just how rude some people can be to defend their poor choices.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

No one ever stated what you should use. You use what works for you. Your statements were what we were doing was out of line. And yes zanio will hold up as stated by ET.
TXWMH (10-23-2015)

Quick Reply: How many coats of wax do you use?