Sponsored by:

DTE Transmission/Differential Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Targa98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTE Transmission/Differential Strut Brace

Anyone know where I can find this at DTE's price of $349 I can't seem to purchase it on their website but they list a price of $349 here:
http://www.dynotech-eng.com/dte_c5_diff_strut.htm

ECS wants $400, but if DTE is telling me I should pay $349 then thats what I want to pay
Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy the ECS design, ECS brace. Easy enough.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Targa98
Instructor

I'd like the DTE, thanks though.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Dosen't sound like the product to put on your car if you can't purchase the brace or replacement parts for them, from the DTE site ?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Targa98
Instructor

Oh, it's what I want. DTE is the sht.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Well you know you can drive down the road to ECS and buy your DTE, and have it in your hands w/in an hour?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Targa98
Instructor

ECS pissed me off when I saw their page about the brace. They charge 400 for the DTE, tell you that it could take months to receive, and then say here, you can buy ours for a dollar less and have it right away. And then, they call the C6 brace weak and come up with an "upgrade" for it. Grrrrrrrr. Everyone knows the DTE is sweet. I bet the ECS is just as good since they copied the design. But I would rather support the original company.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Ahh, Ha. I knew I smelled something.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Targa98
Instructor

i dont like the faintly cocky attitude of ecs.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What a useless thread!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Targa98
Instructor

My question still stands....
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

That's great and all, but its really not a cocky attitude - it was a documented issue here on the forum, and I'll say search is your friend In this case.

But for the record, the design wasn't a copy. The history of the brace was written up by Doug some time ago here on the forum, but here's the cliff notes....

From what I remember our brace was designed by Doug and our engineer around the same time dte made their brace. Since a similar product came on the market around the same time, we didn't pursue making them at that point - we simply purchased their braces as needed. (we had more than enough fabrication going on at the time in SC kits alone)

Then when we started running in supply issues, we had to pretty much put the brace back on the table as we couldn't get the products that our customers needed. (we deal with a fair amount of racers that, as you can imagine, need braces)

So we started making them again. It was pretty simple. The supply issues were documented a couple times here on the forums.

The design pretty much lies in the fact that there is only so many ways to support the trans and rear. There are a number of differences however (some subtle some not so subtle), both in the C5 and C6 Braces, both in material and design. If you ever compared the two you'd easily know one from the other.

The C6 braces, and the upgrade to the DTE came from the fact that we had a customer brake a case - even with the DTE Brace on his car. Poop happens, but we needed to know why, and how to stop it. The case broke because there was still flex at that point between the trans and the rear - even with the brace. ( at least on this car - it was a 2005 with more than 700rwhp) We designed a piece that worked with the DTE brace to stop the flex, and hopefully reduce any chance of breaking it again. It came from a need, Not really a way to say something else was inferior or not. Now we sell them to make it available for other that want to have the safety....

So there is more too it, and feel free to search a little bit on the topic as there was plenty to read on here years ago about it. But Just figured I'd put it out there. When we make them we make them in large runs, and we haven't been out of one of them at least since I've been working there. They are a good piece and have saved plenty of tranny's.

If its the $50 difference, I can say this, given that the ECS brace is stainless hardware, aluminum rods and zinc coated steel, I'm pretty sure we have a little more in time and materials in ours than painted steel, but i don't think Doug and Chris will be retiring on braces any time soon so I'll do this....

I'll send one out to you for the price we did last fall. Its $379. Chris can bitch at me in the morning, but he's not on line right now, I am. They are in stock, and the usually ship the same day.

Deal? If not I'm sure another vendor has the DTE's in stock and can get one out to you....

BTW.... I have DTE on my own car. It was pretty readily available at the time. If you want a brace give me a call tomorrow at the shop. 609-752-0321

Last edited by Mike69@ECS; 03-25-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Targa98
Instructor

Got one from scoggin-dickey yesterday. Wish I would have checked this thread before hand. I ended up calling DTE and they told me that SD was their largest warehousing supplier. They had it for $349. Thanks for the info though and it sounds like you guys put some work into your braces. It sounds like your brace IS in fact worth the $399. I would suggest taking a look at the ECS page for the braces cuz it seems to look down upon the DTE. Maybe I'm just nuts?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:32 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa98
Got one from scoggin-dickey yesterday. Wish I would have checked this thread before hand. I ended up calling DTE and they told me that SD was their largest warehousing supplier. They had it for $349. Thanks for the info though and it sounds like you guys put some work into your braces. It sounds like your brace IS in fact worth the $399. I would suggest taking a look at the ECS page for the braces cuz it seems to look down upon the DTE. Maybe I'm just nuts?

Thank you, and I'm sorry you viewed it that way. We just stated the time it normally takes us to receive braces from DTE so the customer is informed before purchasing. We simply grew tired of being the punching bag from people waiting. If they know from the start it will be a while, and still want it, then there is no problem on our end. We like to be up front, and not mislead anyone whenever possible, if something will take a month, then so be it, but we will not rope you into a sale and make you wait without your knowledge to not lose the sale. We feel it is the correct to way to do business.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Keep up the good work there at ECS ,Doug! Enjoying the ECS Brace that I installed last year
Old 04-04-2010, 05:55 PM
CoreyZ06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i read the page the same way. made me feel the same way. guess that makes me a$$hole #2.

however, i like the fact the ecs uses aluminum from an expansion/contraction standpoint. i dont like the $400 part. thats my fault tho i spose. i'll get over it.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:59 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Im trying to get an ecs auto brace..seems to be the ticket..had 1 in my z06 manual car was pretty trick and billet aluminum

Last edited by blown81bu; 05-01-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To DTE Transmission/Differential Strut Brace

Old 12-11-2015, 10:48 PM
vettedude78
Instructor

Does your brace fit the grand sport? I was reading on dte And it says no
Old 12-12-2015, 12:16 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Good shop here guys. They're local to me and very knowledgable when it comes to suspensions.
The following users liked this post:
HoosierPE (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 02:14 AM
0HoosierPE
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Good shop here guys. They're local to me and very knowledgable when it comes to suspensions.
Thanks for the mention FastBird. HoosierPE is the home for DTE products. We are currently at the Performance Racing Industry Expo here in Indy at booth 2736 and will be back in the shop Monday to answer any questions. If you are at the PRI expo, stop by and say hello and you can also see the brace on display all setup.

Nice old thread from the past and some interesting history from ESC.

Be safe and shinny side up!

Cheers,
Jason Massey
General Manager
info@hoosierpe.com

Quick Reply: DTE Transmission/Differential Strut Brace