Sponsored by:

And then there was one.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 10:00 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default And then there was one.......

For the past several years I've been the proud owner of two beautiful Corvettes and been living my childhood dream. One was a 2009 Z06 and a 2001 C5 that I picked up during my short stint as a car salesman. The Z06 was stock except for a Chuck Cow tune and his Cowbooster. The C5 has a bunch of suspension mods done, wheels/tires and is also running a Cow tune.

My warranty expired on my Z06 and I was concerned with the Z06 dropped valve syndrome so I started shopping around for heads for the car. I also looked into an extended warranty but since my car was tuned I decided it wasn't an option. To make a long story short I decided to part with the car and got rid of it.

Now the C5 occupies the garage space where my Z06 was parked. My friends think I'm crazy for getting rid of the Z06 but I think I made a good decision. Plus I drove my C5 more than the Z06 any way. The suspension mods make it a blast on the back roads and the new wheels and tires make it look killer. I just couldn't part with it. Now that it's in the garage I can do some of the projects I've been wanting to do over the winter.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:03 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Both cars look great, but I'm sure you'll miss the extra ponies on tap.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right call still!
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:04 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Awwww MAN!!!!

Originally Posted by GTJim

For the past several years I've been the proud owner of two beautiful Corvettes and been living my childhood dream. One was a 2009 Z06 and a 2001 C5 that I picked up during my short stint as a car salesman. The Z06 was stock except for a Chuck Cow tune and his Cowbooster. The C5 has a bunch of suspension mods done, wheels/tires and is also running a Cow tune.

My warranty expired on my Z06 and I was concerned with the Z06 dropped valve syndrome so I started shopping around for heads for the car. I also looked into an extended warranty but since my car was tuned I decided it wasn't an option. To make a long story short I decided to part with the car and got rid of it.

Now the C5 occupies the garage space where my Z06 was parked. My friends think I'm crazy for getting rid of the Z06 but I think I made a good decision. Plus I drove my C5 more than the Z06 any way. The suspension mods make it a blast on the back roads and the new wheels and tires make it look killer. I just couldn't part with it. Now that it's in the garage I can do some of the projects I've been wanting to do over the winter.
Awwww MAN!!!!

At least you were fortunate enough to have had both at the same time!

Please call me when you can... I'm, here late tonight.

Chuck CoW
Old 12-22-2015, 10:06 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Both cars look great, but I'm sure you'll miss the extra ponies on tap.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right call still!
Oh I'll miss the Z06 no doubt about that but like my one friend said, what's the point of all that power if you don't drive it because your afraid it will drop a valve.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:08 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Awwww MAN!!!!

At least you were fortunate enough to have had both at the same time!

Please call me when you can... I'm, here late tonight.

Chuck CoW
I'll give you a call tomorrow Chuck. Don't worry, I've got a new play toy coming for you to tune.
Chuck CoW (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Yes SIR CAPTAIN!

Originally Posted by GTJim
I'll give you a call tomorrow Chuck. Don't worry, I've got a new play toy coming for you to tune.
Yes SIR CAPTAIN!

At your service!
Chuck CoW
Old 12-22-2015, 10:24 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

One is better than none !!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Had to be a tough call to make, but I can understand your concern about the valve issue in the Z06. Anyway, you've still got a great looking car in the garage.
GTJim (12-26-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:29 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Had to be a tough call to make, but I can understand your concern about the valve issue in the Z06. Anyway, you've still got a great looking car in the garage.
It was a very tough decision to make but in the end I just thought it was better to put money in the bank then to take it out and spend it on a new set of heads.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:29 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default I've seen 1,000...

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
While I don't argue that the issue exists....

I've Tunes, Modded, and Supercharged over 1,000 ZO6s over the year and NEVER EVER ONCE did I have a car

with that problem come into my shop.

Again, I see that it has happened, but I suspect that a lot of this was driver induced (or previous owner induced)

cause it's never ever happened to any of my customers...

Chuck CoW
GTJim (12-26-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 12:02 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

so you got rid of it over a set of heads... some c5's had valve spring issues, maybe someone can convince you to sell that one as well
Old 12-23-2015, 12:19 AM
garline14
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Well at least you were able to have both at the same time, and enjoy them! Sounds like you made the right decision to keep the C5, and being that you drove the C5 more, I dont think you will miss the Z06 too much. I mean you could have sold the C5, used some money to get new heads/upgrades for the Z06 but you didn't, you kept the C5! In the end you still have a great looking car.
GTJim (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 06:17 AM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neutron82
so you got rid of it over a set of heads... some c5's had valve spring issues, maybe someone can convince you to sell that one as well
Yes I did. No warranty means I foot the bill if the motor pops. This way I get money back instead of spending it. Cars tuned so an extended warranty isn't possible. Lots of guys have sold there Z's because of the head issue, I'm not the only one to do it.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:56 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

if you can afford to own both of them I'm pretty sure you could afford a motor, bare minimum a set of refreshed heads to fix the issue... I just can't see letting a car go over something that trivial, no matter what kind of car it's going to have it's own set of issues
Old 12-24-2015, 01:02 AM
John1990
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

if you can afford to own both of them I'm pretty sure you could afford a motor, bare minimum a set of refreshed heads to fix the issue... I just can't see letting a car go over something that trivial, no matter what kind of car it's going to have it's own set of issues
Wow!

Your reasoning is remarkable.

What makes GTJim's ability to afford a repair mean that for him to experience the need for such a repair is automatically justified?

In other words, since you, neutron82, are able to afford at least one C5, you can afford major engine repair equal to half the cost of a new motor; bare minimum a knocking rod before you should even consider selling your car. (if such a situation ever existed)

GTJim's ability to afford an expense does not make him duty-bound to necessarily incur that expense. If his foresight might prevent him from incurring that expense, he should be permitted to exercise his right to liberate himself of the liability.

What you are suggesting is like saying "Since you are a doctor / dentist / attorney earning approx.. $500 000, you should keep a certain car requiring a certain repair and absorb the cost because you, of all people, are able to afford it".

GTJim's willingness to keep the car should not be a function of his ability to afford; but rather a function of whatever his motivation may be or whatever he desires.

Last edited by John1990; 12-24-2015 at 01:13 AM.
GTJim (12-26-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 01:26 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John1990
Wow!

Your reasoning is remarkable.
thank you... at the end of the day it's his money so he can do what he wants, doesn't bother me in the least bit... I just personally think it's silly to let a badass car go over a couple of grand... he obviously knew about the issue hence getting rid of it after the warranty went out, to someone like me that seems like it was owned just to own it and not really have fun with it... reminds me of a coworker that bought a gtr when they first came out and rarely drove it, never launched it or even raced it for that matter and was more concerned with retaining the value than anything else only to sell it a few years later... the way I see it he could have had just as much fun in a corolla... I also work on my own stuff so I am not afraid to tear into my car and fix it, I understand not everyone does this and it can tack quite a bit on top of the cost of parts so maybe that held some weight in his decision... does that still make it worth selling?... my opinion no, but that's just me
Old 12-24-2015, 09:58 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

GTJim, I think you made a good call. I checked with my mechanics while considering a C-6, ZR-1. The subject of the Z06 dropped valve issue came up and they assured me it's a for real problem. Too bad, they're really nice Vettes. Hope it all works out for you. Great that you have the C5 to drive. It sort of keeps the pressure of "gotta have a Vette" syndrome off your shoulders.
GTJim (12-26-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To And then there was one.......

Old 12-24-2015, 10:14 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

thank you... at the end of the day it's his money so he can do what he wants, doesn't bother me in the least bit... I just personally think it's silly to let a badass car go over a couple of grand... he obviously knew about the issue hence getting rid of it after the warranty went out, to someone like me that seems like it was owned just to own it and not really have fun with it... reminds me of a coworker that bought a gtr when they first came out and rarely drove it, never launched it or even raced it for that matter and was more concerned with retaining the value than anything else only to sell it a few years later... the way I see it he could have had just as much fun in a corolla... I also work on my own stuff so I am not afraid to tear into my car and fix it, I understand not everyone does this and it can tack quite a bit on top of the cost of parts so maybe that held some weight in his decision... does that still make it worth selling?... my opinion no, but that's just me
Owned it just to own it, not ever have fun with it.... You mean like 90% of corvette owners? I wouldn't go near an ls7, you shouldn't have to dump $3500 into an engine just to prevent it from blowing up. The $100 valve spring issue for the ls6 is irritating enough, much less a whole new set of heads, it's pathetic.

Sure if it was an issue that happened in cars over 100k miles, then fine, but since I've seen posts of 6000 mile ls7's blowing up, it's dumb.
GTJim (12-26-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 03:12 PM
John1990
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

thank you... at the end of the day it's his money so he can do what he wants, doesn't bother me in the least bit...
Why, exactly, is it that you are thanking me?

If you think I complimented you, I didn't.

I said your post was remarkable. That's not a compliment. I made my remark; perhaps it was lost on you. That is to say, contrary to what you suggested, just because GTJim is able to afford 2 Corvettes, he is no more better suited to afford a particular engine repair; thereby serving as justification as to his retention of ownership of the car. In fact for most people, such a scenario might more likely be viewed in terms of cost/benefit analysis.

At any rate, you are welcome.

" ... doesn't bother me in the least bit.. ... " Truly? Thou doth protest too much, methinks.

Your turn...
Old 12-26-2015, 12:19 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Owned it just to own it, not ever have fun with it.... You mean like 90% of corvette owners? I wouldn't go near an ls7, you shouldn't have to dump $3500 into an engine just to prevent it from blowing up. The $100 valve spring issue for the ls6 is irritating enough, much less a whole new set of heads, it's pathetic.

Sure if it was an issue that happened in cars over 100k miles, then fine, but since I've seen posts of 6000 mile ls7's blowing up, it's dumb.

The valve issue with the Z06 is a well know issue. The problem is like DBGOODWIN mentioned, it doesn't just effect high mileage cars. Basically if you own a 2009 or older C6Z it's a crap shoot as to whether your car has the defective heads or not.

For me I had three options:

1. Do nothing and hope I don't drop a valve and blow a motor. A 15k gamble I can't afford to take.

2. Suck it up and pay the estimated 4K to 5k for new heads. I'd go with brand new aftermarket castings as I've seen too many cases where the reworked stock heads failed later on down the road. Cost is not too bad but still it's money I'd have to take out of my savings to pay for it.

3. Sell the car and put money in my savings instead of spending it. This is what I did as it just made more financial sense to me. I'll buy another car eventually but it won't be a Z06 or would it cost as much. Price will be limited to 35k or less keeping a good chunk of the money from the sale of the Z in my savings.

I'm sure some won't agree with my course of action but this is what I thought works for me.

Quick Reply: And then there was one.......