Sponsored by:

Swapping back to pop up headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:44 AM
CATSKINNER
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swapping back to pop up headlights

Looking at buying a Nassau blue FRC but it has those ugly frog looking fixed headlights. I would prefer to swap back to pop up head lights. Does anyone have any idea if that is even possible or cost effective?? Car is owned by dealer so I'm pretty sure they don't have the old headlights stashed anywhere. Any info would help! I sold my 2012 GS and my dream car is a wide body Nassau blue C5 FRC. I want it to be perfect!

Last edited by CATSKINNER; 01-04-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:06 AM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

yes you can swap back. You will need the complete assemblies though. I have seen them run anywhere from $400 to $1200 for complete sets. Just have to keep an eye out for a good deal. May be able to negotiate that off the price of the car. Where are you located. I will keep a lookout for a set.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 AM
ricoZg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to find someone locally who's willing to swap with you, hopefully they have a Nassau Blue C5. Worse case is you'll have to paint the covers to match.

Originally Posted by CATSKINNER
Looking at buying a Nassau blue FRC but it has those ugly frog looking fixed headlights. I would prefer to swap back to pop up head lights. Does anyone have any idea if that is even possible or cost effective?? Car is owned by dealer so I'm pretty sure they don't have the old headlights stashed anywhere. Any info would help! I sold my 2012 GS and my dream car a wide body Nassau blue C5 FRC. I want it to be perfect!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:15 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I would find another car to buy. One that has not been molested.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Crussader
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

...I want it to be perfect!
If this is the case, I agree with the above. Find one that hasn't been molested.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Crussader
If this is the case, I agree with the above. Find one that hasn't been molested.
Unless the price is GREAT I would pass. To many of these cars still around to be buying one where as soon as you get it you have to source parts for it.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by JR-01
I would find another car to buy. One that has not been molested.
That would depend on what else has been done to the car, what it would cost to swap the lights out and what price you can get the car for as it sits. Try calling Marc at VetteNuts to see what kind of price he has on complete headlight assemblies (hopefully the prior owner didn't hack up any wiring harnesses) and then check what it would cost to install them if you don't do it yourself.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:19 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
That would depend on what else has been done to the car, what it would cost to swap the lights out and what price you can get the car for as it sits. Try calling Marc at VetteNuts to see what kind of price he has on complete headlight assemblies (hopefully the prior owner didn't hack up any wiring harnesses) and then check what it would cost to install them if you don't do it yourself.
True, but he said he wanted a perfect car. Who knows if he will ever be able to get the original headlights to work properly. They are a pretty complex system. If he wants the perfect original car this ain't it.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:55 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
True, but he said he wanted a perfect car. Who knows if he will ever be able to get the original headlights to work properly. They are a pretty complex system. If he wants the perfect original car this ain't it.
I would be surprised if after all the trouble of locating and installing they would actually work!! Move on to another Corvette and save yourself the grief
Old 01-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Headlight are easy to install and we have them complete ready to go. You would need to paint the lids to match. I can even have that done by my local painter. Shoot me an email for details.
marc@vettenuts.net
Old 01-04-2016, 04:15 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Marc@Vettenuts.net
Headlight are easy to install and we have them complete ready to go. You would need to paint the lids to match. I can even have that done by my local painter. Shoot me an email for details.
marc@vettenuts.net
They may be easy to install, but I have read dozens of threads about problems with pop up headlights. Do you think going back to OEM, they will function like new? I think the OP is in for some major headaches if he buys that car and goes back to pop up headlights. Better off to buy an original car. Just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

The lights will be original OEM and function just like they were designed to do. Only issue with the pop up lights is the plastic gears that can be replaced.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Marc@Vettenuts.net
The lights will be original OEM and function just like they were designed to do. Only issue with the pop up lights is the plastic gears that can be replaced.
But this car has been converted to non pop ups. Are the original structure, mounting points and wiring still even there? I could see replacing an OEM unit with another OEM unit but who knows what changes have been made and what has been removed.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:49 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

For those lacking time, tools, talent and ambition it would be a major undertaking. If when the after market lighting system was installed the installer simply tied the original harness off and left the controller in place it wouldn't be a bad job.

If parts are missing I'm certain Marc could supply those also.

For the OP: Get the wiring schematic and see if everything for the headlamp wiring is there. You can go to your library and copy the pages from the GM manual. That's what I did when I installed C5 power sport seats in my 63.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:51 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Jesus guys, it's a simple headlight swap. Pass on the car because of the headlights? No way!

To those talking about "way too many of these cars" how many NB FRC's do you see? I'll wait.

If the car meets your standards don't let some headlights sway your decision, too many people scared to touch their precious Chevys here.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:12 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Jesus guys, it's a simple headlight swap. Pass on the car because of the headlights? No way!
I agree. We're talking about two bolt on buckets and wiring harnesses. I've taken mine out MANY times. Obviously, if the replacement motors don't have brass gears, then by all means, replace them so you don't have to redo everything later. I would go for it, it should take you about 2 hours to install them (with gear replacement) plus the time required to remove the bug eyes.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:31 PM
CATSKINNER
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys I should have been more specific! Nothing worse than leaving a somewhat ambiguous post and coming back to find a heated debate over it's interpretations. I wasn't necessarily looking for a perfect car, I have a whole slew of improvements I want to do a stock NB FRC, like wide body fenders, wheels, built motor... ect. The head light issue is relative to how far the car is from where i want it to be. If I find a a car that's 90% already configured the way I want it then the lights are no big deal, but obviously factors like price, location mechanically soundness of the car I buy could make the head lights a real big issue. unfortunately for me, I was informed that this car sold today and this is the second time that this has happened to me on a NB FRC with Manual tranny. I'm pretty much just about to give up and go buy another Grandsport but this time in JSB with a manual tranny. My head light problems would atleast be resolved. The previous poster is right! Trying to find a manual tranny FRC in NB is not as easy as clicking the buy now button.

Last edited by CATSKINNER; 01-04-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping back to pop up headlights

Old 01-04-2016, 05:31 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin

To those talking about "way too many of these cars" how many NB FRC's do you see? I'll wait.

If the car meets your standards don't let some headlights sway your decision, too many people scared to touch their precious Chevys here.

Finally some sense has been brought back into this thread!!
As Marc has stated, he has the parts ready to go
Old 01-04-2016, 05:43 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Sorry guys I should have been more specific! Nothing worse than leaving a somewhat ambiguous post and coming back to find a heated debate over it's interpretations. I wasn't necessarily looking for a perfect car, I have a whole slew of improvements I want to do a stock NB FRC, like wide body fenders, wheels, built motor... ect. The head light issue is relative to how far the car is from where i want it to be. If I find a a car that's 90% already configured the way I want it then the lights are no big deal, but obviously factors like price, location mechanically soundness of the car I buy could make the head lights a real big issue. unfortunately for me, I was informed that this car sold today and this is the second time that this has happened to me on a NB FRC with Manual tranny. I'm pretty much just about to give up and go buy another Grandsport but this time in JSB with a manual tranny. My head light problems would atleast be resolved. The previous poster is right! Trying to find a manual tranny FRC in NB is not as easy as clicking the buy now button.
If you really want an NB frc, I would definitely just wait it out. Put up a WTB ad on the for sale page and hopefully someone bites!
Old 01-04-2016, 05:44 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you meant by a perfect car. To me a car with non OEM headlights wasn't the perfect car.

Quick Reply: Swapping back to pop up headlights