Sponsored by:

C5 Stock vs Modified for Car Shows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 04:42 PM
JEH03Vette
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
I've never understood why people entered stock corvettes into shows, especially newer models. What's the point?

To be honest, I'm not a fan of judged shows in general. Cruise nights or cruises with friends are way more entertaining.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:49 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

I usually do a couple shows each summer.

Personally, when it's people's choice, I look for the clean, cared for cars-mods or not-doesn't matter to me. I don't look for the car that still has the temporary tag on it.

Now, that being said. I didn't place in a show until more "stuff" was done to mine. LOL

Last edited by 91LSMAN; 01-21-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:54 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I've never understood why people entered stock corvettes into shows, especially newer models. What's the point?

To be honest, I'm not a fan of judged shows in general. Cruise nights or cruises with friends are way more entertaining.
Unfortunately the way the NCCC clubs are, the cleaner the car the more points you get, thus a newer stock corvette is easier to win in than an older one.

This is a big reason why I don't do corvette clubs, its all boring, the meetings, and dues, and the 4:30 dinners so you can get home in time for Matlock

Last edited by blackmachdown; 01-21-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:04 PM
terryg
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default To modify or not?

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Such is life when you mod the car and enter it in car shows. Mod the car the way you want (or leave it basically stock) and enjoy it. Shows seem to have different thresholds on when a car falls into the modified category - say more than three mods, etc. Just go to the show and enjoy the experience - if you win an award, that's great but getting to talk cars with other enthusiasts is the real reward.

Congrats on your pending purchase of a low mileage C5. Post up some pics when you get it.
I agree. All shows will be judged differently. Last summer I took my stock and very clean 2000 FRC to a local show where I received nothing but a guy with a 54' Olds convertible with broken windows, rusted steel wheels, a trashed interior, oh; and lots of "patina" took home a trophy? He put zero effort into his car and I spent hours cleaning and detailing mine! If you are going to a show just go to enjoy seeing the cars and talking with car guys; anything else is a bonus.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:27 PM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd hate myself if I bought a Corvette only to PARK it in grass 3 times a year.. Only car I know where the owners pride themselves with not actually driving it .. Blows my mind
The following 2 users liked this post by R1 Rider:
Fast Cars & Horses (01-22-2016), pups (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 05:49 PM
TTShab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to be honest most if not all people have good points. My 95 was so show quality I was afraid to even enjoy it. Always worried about a nick or chip just driving it to a show. I think I will keep it stock for now and not be as stressed and just enjoy the fact that I have been blessed to own 2 in my past and may be able to purchase one of these cars once again. ��

Last edited by TTShab; 01-21-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
Unfortunately the way the NCCC clubs are, the cleaner the car the more points you get, thus a newer stock corvette is easier to win in than an older one.

This is a big reason why I don't do corvette clubs, its all boring, the meetings, and dues, and the 4:30 dinners so you can get home in time for Matlock
I'd rather see a modified and highly enjoyed example than a "showroom condition" car with 12 year old original tires.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:30 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I'd rather see a modified and highly enjoyed example than a "showroom condition" car with 12 year old original tires.

Ya but in three more years those tires are classics!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:33 PM
Chopnspray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to do shows with my all original 66 coupe with 30,000 miles ,one of the last shows I did they grouped all mid years together stock,custom so it's was kinda hard to compete against a 65 with a blower and custom paint. I would rather go for a drive instead of cooking like a lobster anymore .
Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 AM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I used to go to alot of car shows, but now mainly do local cruise inns. I have seen many stock c5 and c6 cars at the car shows that would win trophies over modified ones. A car that someone has tastefully modded and made it unique and still never place in the top 3. If i wanted to go see a stock car (unless a antique or special edition), I would go to the dealership.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by NVTHIS
I used to go to alot of car shows, but now mainly do local cruise inns. I have seen many stock c5 and c6 cars at the car shows that would win trophies over modified ones. A car that someone has tastefully modded and made it unique and still never place in the top 3. If i wanted to go see a stock car (unless a antique or special edition), I would go to the dealership.
Beautiful car !

Toque
The following users liked this post:
NVTHIS (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 11:24 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I agree!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:34 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Beautiful car !

Toque
Thanks Toque. The same can be said about yours!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:34 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TTShab
Just wanted to hear opinions. I personally like showing nearly 100% stock Corvettes. If you modify them it is a whole another category. Adding some stripes, wheels,etc could put you up against people that sink $25k in mods to their car. I've won a few shows with my c4 and I'm replacing it this week with a c5 vert with 15k miles. 100% original. Hoping to win some shows with it.
Congratulations on your new (to you) C5. Everyone has a different opinion on this topic and everyone who owns a Corvette owns it for their own reason.

Personally, I like to personalize all cars I own. I know there are many Corvette owners who want to keep their cars 100% stock and although I respect that, I would hope they also respect that other people want to personalize, improve, customize, modify, etc. the car they purchased using their money. I don't think any one is "better" than the other one, just a different direction and ownership dynamic.

When I purchased my C5 vert new in the summer of 2014, outside of the Lloyds floor mats and trunk mat, it was pretty much bone stock for close to three years. Once the car was out of warranty, I started to personalize mine, mostly in terms of cosmetics, creature comforts and handling performance, i.e. brakes, wheels, shocks, sway bars, HID/LED lighting exhaust, and CAI. Nothing major in terms of the powertrain, however I did have a tune performed to dial into the new Honker CAI and Corsa exhaust.

For me, I have personalized the car to my liking and enjoy driving it, especially due to the interior improvements I've made; (1) real Vette Essentials leather seat covers/trim and (2) Double Din Mods NAV head unit and custom stereo. Improvements I enjoy every time I get behind the wheel.

When I first started showing my car in 2008 after moving from Chicago to Florida, I noticed that most show participants are divided into two camps; (1) bone stock and (2) customized/modified, with many participants somewhere in between. What I found surprising is how opinionated they are towards each other.

I feel I am somewhat in the middle, however what I can't stand is talking to some opinionated blow hard from either side who thinks "their way" is the "only way". News alert...the 1997-2004 Corvette is not a classic and will not be a classic any time soon. A bone stock C5 may fetch a little more than a modified C5 in resale, however there are other factors including mileage (or lack of mileage), types of modifications, and overall taste in color combinations, etc. that come into play and have a larger impact on the car's value.

It was after a couple of seasons of Corvette shows that I developed my itch to personalize my C5 vert after seeing so many beautiful and tasteful upgrades over the years. I enjoyed talking with the owners, getting their tips and vendor recommendations for my interests and goals. Now, I feel I am in the position to give back to similar owners looking to personalize their C5s.

When I enter shows, I simply list C5 and let the show hosts or coordinators determine if I am in stock or the modified class. I really don't care as I'm there to meet new people and look at the cars. What is amazing to me is how many other bone stock and modified owners flip out over the classifications. I had one stock owner pull a judge over to my car so that she could point out all the "modifications" I had made. After I introduced myself with a friendly hello, she walked off in a huff upset that the judge didn't move my car into a different class.

I've also witnessed one guy who appeared to have spent over $10K in stick-on chrome and stainless steel components throw a literal tantrum (knocking over display boards, prizes, etc.) when he didn't place in the best of class awards.

Point is, even though I can respect anyone who maintains a bone-stock C5 that is only driven to shows, I find the customized and modified cars more interesting. Plus, I have found that more people want to say hello and talk about the car when they notice the custom components. I was parked next to a beautiful bone stock Torch Red C5 coupe and although the owner received many "nice car" comments, I had a crowd around mine asking about the mods I performed.

Again, that doesn't make the car better, perhaps just more interesting.

Good luck with your car, however if you go into the shows with the goal of enjoying yourself and meeting new people/friends and not on the $25 plastic trophy, plaque, or crystal, you will never go home disappointed. The C5 herd has become a lot thinner over the past few years due to the C6 and now C7 upgrades so your odds of winning are good if your C5 is in great shape.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

MSG C5 that's a very nice looking vette.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Modified... Tastefully done ... Yet not over the top.
Looks like it could have come from GM like that....
To folks that don't know better... most think its stock.

That's how tasteful/clean mods should be done...

Always been a fan of your car !

Toque
Old 01-22-2016, 04:05 PM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I grew up in a car show family. My dad showed Model A Fords that I helped detail...we sat on the grass...we went to parades...and any other time, those beautiful cars sat in the garage and nobody could touch them. Never one time did we ever just go out for a ride. When I had my C3, it was a show car and I worried about the miles, the paint, the dust, you name it. I had enough and sold it to a car show guy to buy the C5 I have now. At first, I went to a couple shows and fell into the same mindset, but it didn't take long to decide I'd rather be driving it and enjoying it, screw the miles. I'm having so much fun going places and racking up the miles. I enjoy detailing, so I do keep it buffed and super clean (it's black...lol), but as for staying stock, I'm bored with it and I'm in the process of murdering it out. I'm ready for the sinister look. I figure, you drive a bad car, it might as well look like one. (yikes, my dad is rolling over in his grave for sure).

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Stock vs Modified for Car Shows?

Old 01-22-2016, 04:35 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Stock = yawn. No, nothing wrong with stock, but unless it's a very rare old collectors car (C1, C2 for example) I don't see why one could win any awards.
Last year I went to a car show and a guy had a '67 Mustang there. Aluminum CNC machined parts right down to hood hinges. Looked amazing. I'd have walked right by a stock same car.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:23 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Toque
Modified... Tastefully done ... Yet not over the top.
Looks like it could have come from GM like that....
To folks that don't know better... most think its stock.

That's how tasteful/clean mods should be done...

Always been a fan of your car !

Toque
Coming from you Toque, that is definitely a compliment. Funny about the GM reference because the year I upgraded my interior, I had a C5 owner approach me at a show almost crying that he didn't choose my interior option.

Last edited by MSG C5; 01-24-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:29 PM
TTShab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Congratulations on your new (to you) C5. Everyone has a different opinion on this topic and everyone who owns a Corvette owns it for their own reason.

Personally, I like to personalize all cars I own. I know there are many Corvette owners who want to keep their cars 100% stock and although I respect that, I would hope they also respect that other people want to personalize, improve, customize, modify, etc. the car they purchased using their money. I don't think any one is "better" than the other one, just a different direction and ownership dynamic.

When I purchased my C5 vert new in the summer of 2014, outside of the Lloyds floor mats and trunk mat, it was pretty much bone stock for close to three years. Once the car was out of warranty, I started to personalize mine, mostly in terms of cosmetics, creature comforts and handling performance, i.e. brakes, wheels, shocks, sway bars, HID/LED lighting exhaust, and CAI. Nothing major in terms of the powertrain, however I did have a tune performed to dial into the new Honker CAI and Corsa exhaust.

For me, I have personalized the car to my liking and enjoy driving it, especially due to the interior improvements I've made; (1) real Vette Essentials leather seat covers/trim and (2) Double Din Mods NAV head unit and custom stereo. Improvements I enjoy every time I get behind the wheel.

When I first started showing my car in 2008 after moving from Chicago to Florida, I noticed that most show participants are divided into two camps; (1) bone stock and (2) customized/modified, with many participants somewhere in between. What I found surprising is how opinionated they are towards each other.

I feel I am somewhat in the middle, however what I can't stand is talking to some opinionated blow hard from either side who thinks "their way" is the "only way". News alert...the 1997-2004 Corvette is not a classic and will not be a classic any time soon. A bone stock C5 may fetch a little more than a modified C5 in resale, however there are other factors including mileage (or lack of mileage), types of modifications, and overall taste in color combinations, etc. that come into play and have a larger impact on the car's value.

It was after a couple of seasons of Corvette shows that I developed my itch to personalize my C5 vert after seeing so many beautiful and tasteful upgrades over the years. I enjoyed talking with the owners, getting their tips and vendor recommendations for my interests and goals. Now, I feel I am in the position to give back to similar owners looking to personalize their C5s.

When I enter shows, I simply list C5 and let the show hosts or coordinators determine if I am in stock or the modified class. I really don't care as I'm there to meet new people and look at the cars. What is amazing to me is how many other bone stock and modified owners flip out over the classifications. I had one stock owner pull a judge over to my car so that she could point out all the "modifications" I had made. After I introduced myself with a friendly hello, she walked off in a huff upset that the judge didn't move my car into a different class.

I've also witnessed one guy who appeared to have spent over $10K in stick-on chrome and stainless steel components throw a literal tantrum (knocking over display boards, prizes, etc.) when he didn't place in the best of class awards.

Point is, even though I can respect anyone who maintains a bone-stock C5 that is only driven to shows, I find the customized and modified cars more interesting. Plus, I have found that more people want to say hello and talk about the car when they notice the custom components. I was parked next to a beautiful bone stock Torch Red C5 coupe and although the owner received many "nice car" comments, I had a crowd around mine asking about the mods I performed.

Again, that doesn't make the car better, perhaps just more interesting.

Good luck with your car, however if you go into the shows with the goal of enjoying yourself and meeting new people/friends and not on the $25 plastic trophy, plaque, or crystal, you will never go home disappointed. The C5 herd has become a lot thinner over the past few years due to the C6 and now C7 upgrades so your odds of winning are good if your C5 is in great shape.

MSG,

Great response and great looking car!!!!

Quick Reply: C5 Stock vs Modified for Car Shows?