Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best way to lower my c5 1 inch.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:18 AM
Jacob951
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the best way to lower my c5 1 inch.

I want to lower my car 1 inch what is the best way to do that safely.

Popular Reply

03-20-2016, 05:08 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverwolf_pup
Why do you want to lower a Corvette more? It is to low already, I have to be careful where I go or I will scrape the front end off. The Corvette is already a sled :P
So it seems your Vette is too low but that doesn't mean everyone shares the same opinion about their own Vette and I would almost argue most think stock height is entirely too high but don't have the option to lower it because of terrible roads etc.

The OP is interested in lowering his ride height, so knowing that why bother with commenting about being too low or asking why he would want to?

Moving on there's several options available;

1) cutting the bushings (or removing altogether) on your stock lowering bolts.

2) aftermarket lowering bolts from one of the forum vendors.

3) coilovers: LG, & Pfadt are usually at the top of the list in most cases, but StanceUSA is also an option and most C5 guys who have them are quite pleased. There are other coilovers available but they go will above $2500 price tag and ate mainly geared toward track events.

4) finally there are drop spindles by LG Motorsports that will lower your ride height by exactly 1" allowing you to retain stock/oem suspension geometry. This also allows you the option to use the stock lowering bolts in conjunction with the spindles for an even lower ride height.

A quick search on the forum or Google should net you a rather substantial amount of info regarding each option if you choose to persue one of them.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 AM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Why do you want to lower a Corvette more? It is to low already, I have to be careful where I go or I will scrape the front end off. The Corvette is already a sled :P
Old 03-20-2016, 05:08 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverwolf_pup
So it seems your Vette is too low but that doesn't mean everyone shares the same opinion about their own Vette and I would almost argue most think stock height is entirely too high but don't have the option to lower it because of terrible roads etc.

The OP is interested in lowering his ride height, so knowing that why bother with commenting about being too low or asking why he would want to?

3) coilovers: LG, & Pfadt are usually at the top of the list in most cases, but StanceUSA is also an option and most C5 guys who have them are quite pleased. There are other coilovers available but they go will above $2500 price tag and ate mainly geared toward track events.

4) finally there are drop spindles by LG Motorsports that will lower your ride height by exactly 1" allowing you to retain stock/oem suspension geometry. This also allows you the option to use the stock lowering bolts in conjunction with the spindles for an even lower ride height.

A quick search on the forum or Google should net you a rather substantial amount of info regarding each option if you choose to persue one of them.
The following 6 users liked this post by nvusgt:
DECON BLUE (09-05-2020), hron61 (03-20-2016), JohnJohn301 (04-07-2019), nzcars33 (03-20-2016), ri-vette (03-20-2016), williame3590 (03-20-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-20-2016, 05:19 AM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nvusgt

He can do whatever he wants I just don't recommend it. Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
mike48750 (04-16-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 06:54 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

He can do whatever he wants I just don't recommend it. Just my opinion
Yes, the car is low. But the gap between the tire and fender makes it look like an off road vehicle. Stock height on a C5 looks comical.

Shakey
JohnJohn301 (04-07-2019)
Old 03-20-2016, 07:44 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Quickest and cheapest way is to just lower it on the factory bolts. Just jack up the vette and crank the factory bolts down. Measure before and after to make sure it's even and where you want it. If you decide to go that route...prob best to get it aligned after.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:25 AM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Quickest and cheapest way is to just lower it on the factory bolts. Just jack up the vette and crank the factory bolts down. Measure before and after to make sure it's even and where you want it. If you decide to go that route...prob best to get it aligned after.
I went this route and the ride hasn't suffered. I did replace the shocks with C6 Z06 shocks before hand though.
KCK8766 (04-16-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 08:55 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Mine is lowered about 1.25 inches. No problems and looks good.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:02 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

[QUOTE="runner140*;1591811431"]Mine is lowered about 1.25 inches. No problems and looks good. I live in south Florida...no hills and flat roads. I've been in New Orleans for three days now and only saw two Vettes.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Just my $0.02 worth......

For anybody wanting to lower a C-5 TODAY, you have to keep in mind that these cars have been of the road, and exposed to the elements, for close to 20 years, in some cases. This means the adjuster bolts MAY be pretty well "set-up", and difficult to turn.

This will be most critical in the front of the car, where the bolts are threaded into an insert that is molded into the spring. Bust the insert loose, and you're looking at a new spring.

In the rear, worst case, if the nuts and bolts are frozen, is to just cut them and install new bolts.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Blac Avy
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I had the same question. After acquiring my very first Vette 8 months ago I had very limited knowledge to lower or is my car already lowered on stock bolts. What's your opinion?
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2016, 10:01 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Blac Avy
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I had the same question. After acquiring my very first Vette 8 months ago I had very limited knowledge to lower or is my car already lowered on stock bolts. What's your opinion?
Looks like it has been lowered just a bit. Having said that, I've seen both Corvettes and Camaro/Firebirds with OE ride heights ALL OVER the map....
Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Blac Avy
Instructor

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Looks like it has been lowered just a bit. Having said that, I've seen both Corvettes and Camaro/Firebirds with OE ride heights ALL OVER the map....
Ok, thanks for your input,
Old 03-20-2016, 10:57 AM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Here is a before and after on just using the stock bolts without cutting the front rubbers off of the lowering bolt. I don't know if all cars respond the same but I raised it up 1/4" after this because the ride was harsh to me.
Before-

After-

The most critical thing you can do to ensure no damage to the spring is releive the pressure before turning the bolts and a little break free is helpful also.
DECON BLUE (09-05-2020)
Old 03-20-2016, 02:11 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Old 03-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Blac Avy
Instructor

Old 03-20-2016, 03:35 PM
Rico7142
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by jdvann
Here is a before and after on just using the stock bolts without cutting the front rubbers off of the lowering bolt. I don't know if all cars respond the same but I raised it up 1/4" after this because the ride was harsh to me.
Before-

After-

The most critical thing you can do to ensure no damage to the spring is releive the pressure before turning the bolts and a little break free is helpful also.
Nice!!!
jdvann (04-15-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best way to lower my c5 1 inch.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:40 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Why stop at an inch? Tilt the top of the tires in at about 12 degrees and join the ricer camber gang. That way you can lower your car three or four inches and ride on the inside 2 1/2 inches of your tires.

If you are going to have a track car do whatever modifications you need for performance gains. If you have a street car there is a reason GM set the C5 up the way they did for use on our streets and highways.

It humors me how many say not to attempt to out-engineer GM but want to alter things for appearance sake.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:51 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Why stop at an inch? Tilt the top of the tires in at about 12 degrees and join the ricer camber gang. That way you can lower your car three or four inches and ride on the inside 2 1/2 inches of your tires.

If you are going to have a track car do whatever modifications you need for performance gains. If you have a street car there is a reason GM set the C5 up the way they did for use on our streets and highways.

It humors me how many say not to attempt to out-engineer GM but want to alter things for appearance sake.

On one hand I agree, but on the other hand, as I've said in previous posts, I've both seen, and OWNED, F-bodies whose stock ride heights have been all over the place. The '77 Trans Am I owned, looked like a 4x4 when I first took delivery of it. An '85 Firebird I owned didn't quite have the total 4x4 look when I bought it, but it still sat higher than a number of other similar cars that I saw.

My C-5, when new, sat something along the line of the car that "Rico7142" posted, as his "before" picture. I dropped it about an inch, no big deal......
Old 03-20-2016, 06:48 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, lowering a car makes it look better, but what about the changes it makes to roll center, bump steer, and suspension travel? It lowers the roll center for one, making it roll more, and using bigger sway bars to fix that. Then you have only an inch of bump travel, which stiff shocks will cover. But in the end, all you do is make your car slower, but look awesome, as long as a big dip at speed, on a curve doesn't crash it, when your suspension bottoms out, and your spring rates go up 1000%. Something has to give.

Last edited by REDHOTS; 03-20-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to lower my c5 1 inch.