C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light bulbs

Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer View Post
I do not understand your findings. The LED bulbs have an instant-on and a more brilliant hue than the factory bulbs which would make them more noticeable (see video comparing to factory lights)
Don't know what to tell you. It's just the way they were. Not enough of a difference between the brightness of the parking light hue and the brightness of the brake light hue. I wasn't the only one, either, apparently...

Originally Posted by Rookieracer View Post
I had some LED tail light bulbs I bought from the auction site. Certainly brighter than stock, but my wife remarked that she had trouble seeing the brake lights at night.
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
LED bulbs in stock housings won't be as bright as stock bulbs.
Originally Posted by killain View Post
I've tried LEDs and stock and in the evening, the stock 3057 really were as bright as the LED's.
Originally Posted by ALLEGRO View Post
Much less light

Back when I installed my LED bulbs, you were actually the one trying to dissuade people from using them. Just a reminder...

Bad Idea. Most LED bulbs on the market have less lumens output than a standard 3157 bulb. In addition, these LED bulbs do not focus light as well in the reflector bowl due to the off-center location of the LEDs on the bulb (compared to the central location of a filament)
This was a couple years ago, so I am assuming that the newer Cree type LED replacements offer much better performance. I run Cree bulbs in a few of my weapon lights, and I have been very satisfied with how bright and how durable they are.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:29 PM
3sACROWD
CF Senior Member

I have Red Cree bulbs (35 watt I believe) in my stock tinted housings. The tail lights work great! It also improved the daytime visibility over stock bulbs and un-tinted lenses.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:27 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by FYRARMS View Post
This was a couple years ago, so I am assuming that the newer Cree type LED replacements offer much better performance. I run Cree bulbs in a few of my weapon lights, and I have been very satisfied with how bright and how durable they are.

True, before the Cree LED bulbs, the best we had available was COB or Plasma and on top of being unusually goofy when installed in vehicles with more than 1 tail light bulb per side they weren't very bright. The Cree bulbs changed all that which is why we carry them for just about every possible application in the C5/C6 world.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRadioFlyer For This Useful Post:
FYRARMS (03-22-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 PM
6speedsteve
CF Senior Member

I have the Cree bulbs and if I recall these are shots of just the running lights, not brake lights, you can see how much light reflects on the ground & around the area at the back of the car. I also have all of the remaining bulbs are LED as well including backups, even the side marker bulbs are throwing lots of light. I purchased all of mine from Radioflyer.

The Following User Says Thank You to 6speedsteve For This Useful Post:
TheRadioFlyer (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve View Post
I have the Cree bulbs and if I recall these are shots of just the running lights, not brake lights, you can see how much light reflects on the ground & around the area at the back of the car. I also have all of the remaining bulbs are LED as well including backups, even the side marker bulbs are throwing lots of light. I purchased all of mine from Radioflyer.

beautiful. may we use these photos in future ads and on our website?
Old 03-23-2016, 08:55 PM
6speedsteve
CF Senior Member

beautiful. may we use these photos in future ads and on our website?
Yes you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to 6speedsteve For This Useful Post:
TheRadioFlyer (03-23-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 02:29 AM
striper
CF Senior Member

You get what you pay for obviously. One day while walking through Walmart, I saw that they sell LED auto bulbs. The price was much cheaper so I thought I'd try them. The brake light was barely brighter than the taillight. Plus some didn't work properly. Fortunately you can return anything to Walmart. I have the red/amber euro tails and I'd really like to brighten them up and also improve their lighting speed. I'll have to contact George soon. BTW, I find the signals okay so I might just do the tail/brake lights.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:08 PM
2FAS4UU
CF Senior Member

...Just yesterday I received my LED (clear) bulbs for my Euro tail lights (red/amber). I installed the LED bulbs in only one housing to get a comparison between the two while lights were on and also using the turn signal. The red portion is better in lighting, but with the turn signals on, the amber with clear Led bulbs looks funky and has a greenish/yellow color due to the blue/white of LED transmitting through amber/yellow, thus getting the greenish tint. Use 'amber' colored bulbs, either LED or incandescent for Euro's, for what it's worth !!.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tail light bulbs

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: