Old 04-01-2016, 05:59 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
M G W
Originally Posted by neutron82
well how about giving him some options instead of just ranting about what someone else feels is a great choice... personally I love my mgw shifter as well...
Originally Posted by quick89
MGW with anti-venom mod, replaced my B&M Ripper
MGW for the win.
The following users liked this post:
Kellykoala (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:33 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

im going to buy an MGW just to see what the hype is all about....

Ive got a C6 shifter ATM
Kellykoala (04-02-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by chassed
im going to buy an MGW just to see what the hype is all about....

Ive got a C6 shifter ATM
You're welcome to come check out my MGW Ivan. Installed it about a year ago. Huge improvement over stock, and a beautiful piece of hardware to boot. To the OP: my vote is for the MGW, but I would imagine that just about anything would be an improvement over the stock shifter. Good luck.
Kellykoala (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 07:17 AM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Very happy with my MGW.. I tried it before I bought it..
Kellykoala (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 12:12 PM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellykoala
I'm thinking about adding a performance shifter to my 04 Vette. I was thinking of going with B&M but I am open to any suggestions from those that like other models. All comments are welcome...
You have PM.
Kellykoala (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 02:16 PM
Kellykoala
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to everyone for your input. I have heard good things about the C6 shifter as well but after reading everyone's opinions and doing a little research I think I will give the MGM with the anti-venom mod a try. Again I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions on this matter.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Kellykoala
Thank you to everyone for your input. I have heard good things about the C6 shifter as well but after reading everyone's opinions and doing a little research I think I will give the MGM with the anti-venom mod a try. Again I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions on this matter.
Awesome. Good choice. If for some reason you don't like the MGW, (can't imagine why) take it off, put an ad in the for sale section here in the forum, and make your money back in 5 minutes. Ha. MGW's are in very high demand. I really hope you love it though.
Kellykoala (04-03-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 11:07 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

MGW w/shifter box, Anti-Venom Washer, Amsoil Torque Drive Fluid, Ranger Method Clutch Fluid Cleaning. Nuff Said don't waste your time else ware!
Kellykoala (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:40 AM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a little late to the game, but I see someone mentioned MGW.

I put a stock C6 shifter in the 2000 vert, and while it was a definite improvement over stock, it didn't come close to the MGW I just installed in the '99 FRC. That said,the C6 shifter is a great upgrade over stock; it's a cheap and easily available shifter, and it's OEM quality. It feels like the C5 shifter only better. The throws are a little shorter, and the feel is just that little bit more precise.

The MGW, however, is ridiculously well engineered. Everything about it is well thought out. The precision and smoothness makes for an incredibly solid feel, and where other aftermarket shifters can give you the same short throw, they just don't feel as good as the MGW. You gain confidence in it instantly.

I love the MGW so much I'm ordering two more for two of the other cars.

Last edited by DinkyDonut; 04-03-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Kellykoala (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:45 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Sea Vette
I went from stock, to a C6 Z06 shifter/****, and now I use a B&M ripper. I liked the C6 better than stock, and I like the B&M much better than the C6.

If you know someone with an aftermarket shifter in their Vette, try before you buy! Otherwise, you pretty much have to take a shot in the dark, buy one, and hope you like it. Shifters are a very subjective choice, just like wheels and exhaust options, there is no "best" for everyone.

I bought the Z06 because it was very highly spoken of on the forums. I liked the ergonomics and the ****, but it wasn't much different than my stock shifter. I bought the B&M because I found a good deal on craigslist, but many of the reviews said it would make the car nearly undriveable! For me that could not be further from the truth, don't believe everything you read online
The reason some people don't like the B&M is because it requires some muscle. My wife can shift the b&m just fine, but it takes more muscle than stock. I love it, wouldn't trade it for an mgw (though not opposed to giving the mgw a try in someone else's car)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:53 AM
Sea Vette
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
The reason some people don't like the B&M is because it requires some muscle. My wife can shift the b&m just fine, but it takes more muscle than stock. I love it, wouldn't trade it for an mgw (though not opposed to giving the mgw a try in someone else's car)
It sure does. The only downside to my B&M is it makes my seat rock more pronounced because I have to push harder against the shifter
Old 04-03-2016, 01:10 AM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny enough, the shifter that came out of the FRC was a B&M. At first I thought it was a pretty terrible shifter, but when I took the stock lower box apart to get the linkage rod out, I found tar based sound deadening on the rod and in the bushing. No wonder it was so difficult to shift and felt like I was rowing through molasses -- or tar, as it was.

Last edited by DinkyDonut; 04-03-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:01 AM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
You will get every opinion under the sun. No one cn tell you what you will like,.. everyone want to push their choice because it validates their choice. because a shifter adds so much to the sensory feedback of driving your car.. it should be your choice, and not someone else's. Because I happen to like a certain shifter, that doesn't mean you will. Each shifter has specific characteristic which are seen in different ways by different people.. I could tell you what Shifter I have been using for the last 14 years, and how enjoyable each shift is, but what would be the point, you could hate it for all the reasons why I like it. Feel, touch, stroke, force, notch, are all characteristics which are slightly different in every shifter. Everyone perceives those characteristic in a slightly different way.
Hello Bill, once again I always enjoy your writings and thoughts on the various issues this forum brings out. On our last communication via this forum I neglected to thank you for your service and sacrifice to our nation, I would like to correct that now. Hope you are feeling well and best wishes to you! Take good care, Sincerely, Mike P.
Evil-Twin (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 09:16 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Lots of good points on this thread.

I recently upgraded from the original MGW Shifter (that utilizes to the OEM lower box) to their new shifter that replaces the OEM lower box with their new MGW lower box.

While I liked the original MGW Shifter, I really like their new setup SO MUCH BETTER. For me it is the perfect balance of ease of operation (OEM-like) with the added precision and short throws MGW is known for.

Last edited by FrankLP; 04-03-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New shifter