Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno tune and PCM

Old 04-09-2016, 05:04 PM
DVUSz06
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default dyno tune and PCM

I'm planning on going forward with a cam swap. I'll need a tune afterwards, so my question is, after I spend the money for the dyno tune, and changes are made to the PCM by the tuner, who owns the tune.
Reason I ask is, lets say after a year from the time of the tune my PCM goes bad and needs replaced, how do I get the new PCM updated to my new run files. Do I get a copy of the modified files or do I go back to the tuner and pay another fee, or will they update new PCM for free. Or is a complete new tune the only way to get new PCM to match my mods.

Sorry if this should be in the tech section, but in all the posts and threads I've read, I have never seen this conversation and thought this section would have a lot of people that my be able to contribute.

thanks
larry
Old 04-09-2016, 05:53 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 963 Likes on 779 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Alot of tuners will lock the PCM from what I have read. You can also use Chuck Cow for remote tuning unless you want the Dyno Sheet
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 06:12 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoken1
Alot of tuners will lock the PCM from what I have read. You can also use Chuck Cow for remote tuning unless you want the Dyno Sheet
I HIGHLY recommend Chuck CoW for the tune... he is AWESOME!
Old 04-09-2016, 06:14 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default There is no ownership of anything....

Originally Posted by DVUSz06
I'm planning on going forward with a cam swap. I'll need a tune afterwards, so my question is, after I spend the money for the dyno tune, and changes are made to the PCM by the tuner, who owns the tune.
Reason I ask is, lets say after a year from the time of the tune my PCM goes bad and needs replaced, how do I get the new PCM updated to my new run files. Do I get a copy of the modified files or do I go back to the tuner and pay another fee, or will they update new PCM for free. Or is a complete new tune the only way to get new PCM to match my mods.

Sorry if this should be in the tech section, but in all the posts and threads I've read, I have never seen this conversation and thought this section would have a lot of people that my be able to contribute.

thanks
larry

Hey Larry... There is no ownership of anything.... IF (which rarely happens) you had to replace a pcm, the tuner would be a real tool if he charged you to re-install the tune.

Give me a call any time if you would like to discuss your options.

914-332-0049
Thanks
Chuck CoW
Old 04-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,218 Likes on 13,928 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Best advice I can give is to check with the tuner or tuners you are considering and see what they say should something like you describe happen.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:37 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

personally I would not deal with a tuner who locked the pcm, it can make things very difficult if you have issues later on down the line and you are at their mercy if you need help which isn't cool... not to mention sometimes they are trying to cover up shoddy work so no one else can see it... however, if you have a good experience with a tuner out of respect you should keep the info private unless they don't mind that anyone else knows or sees it
Old 04-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Get with Chuck! He knows what he is talking about! He tuned my LS1 after it was "dyno tuned" after a cam swap. The car leaped forward after Chuck's tune.
Chuck CoW (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 09:14 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Get with Chuck! He knows what he is talking about! He tuned my LS1 after it was "dyno tuned" after a cam swap. The car leaped forward after Chuck's tune.
Thank you Mr. Bullet!

Chuck CoW
Old 04-12-2016, 05:07 PM
DVUSz06
Racer

So I think I decided on going with a BTR ls1/ls2 stage 2 cam kit, is anyone running this cam and what do you like or dislike about it? Planning on keeping my ls6 stock except for this and my ARH longtubes and hf catted x pipe.

Last edited by DVUSz06; 04-12-2016 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 04-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Jake the Snake
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the COW mail in tune and am very happy with it. Chuck did not lock it (sometimes done to prevent a dealer or service tech from overwriting it). That said it has never been on a dyno for proof, but if Chuck ever gets near me it can be done. He also said that if there are other mods done he will redo the tune for free.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:37 AM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

I would personally do a dyno tune. I wouldn't not do a mail order. To much guess work. I would rather my car be dyno tuned and street tuned for my car specifically.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:57 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Not the way I do it.....

Originally Posted by zdeckich
I would personally do a dyno tune. I wouldn't not do a mail order. To much guess work. I would rather my car be dyno tuned and street tuned for my car specifically.
Not the way I do it..... We use our AutoCal device to record live data and transmit it back to me.

This way I an see what's going on and make the right adjustments.

It's not a "quickie" mail order tune.

Chuck CoW
Old 04-13-2016, 08:45 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

on average how many times do you have to go back and forth sending logs and files?... I would guess at least 3-4 to get the driveability and wot stuff worked out and quite possibly more... I guess if most of the cars you work on are near stock with only air intakes and ported throttle bodies that wouldn't be a big deal but for a cammed or boosted car it could take quite a bit to get it right... when you factor in all the variables like the customer finding time to do a log, having to get a hold of you, you having to find the time to make adjustments, send the file back, and so on, it could really stretch out the time span
Old 04-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
on average how many times do you have to go back and forth sending logs and files?... I would guess at least 3-4 to get the driveability and wot stuff worked out and quite possibly more... I guess if most of the cars you work on are near stock with only air intakes and ported throttle bodies that wouldn't be a big deal but for a cammed or boosted car it could take quite a bit to get it right... when you factor in all the variables like the customer finding time to do a log, having to get a hold of you, you having to find the time to make adjustments, send the file back, and so on, it could really stretch out the time span
Well my car was tuned this way by a reputable tuner, it could not be tweaked too much, I believe because you can't get the wideband info from stock computer and sensors for a cam/supercharger, 383 etc. (I think I was told)it was never right until it hit the dyno by same tuner and I got a wideband, it was always meant to be temporary until he could make it to town. It had a strange sputter at a certain rpm range but it was intermittent? the pcm also crapped out on dyno and had to be replaced so I'm not sure what fixed sputter, but it has not done it since and never acted up on dyno? I would pick out a local tuner if I do it again. No offense to any remote tuners it was my experience and there were lots of other factors that drug this process out.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:09 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

This is why I go to a local tuner. Less headaches and can be done so much faster.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:49 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 285 Posts

Taking mine in soon to ECS for an LS6 intake and headers - getting a dyno tune this time so I can get some before and after numbers (my previous tune was a "street tune")....
Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

personally I would not deal with a tuner who locked the pcm, it can make things very difficult if you have issues later on down the line and you are at their mercy if you need help which isn't cool... not to mention sometimes they are trying to cover up shoddy work so no one else can see it... however, if you have a good experience with a tuner out of respect you should keep the info private unless they don't mind that anyone else knows or sees it
Agreed. No way in hell I would go to a tuner that locks the tune. What are you supposed to do if the tuner moves, or goes out of business unexpectedly? Also, if it's on my car, I should have access to it, IMO. All of the rputable tuners I have dealt with do not lock their tunes.

Get notified of new replies

To dyno tune and PCM

Old 04-15-2016, 12:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DVUSz06

thanks
larry

[QUOTE=DVUSz06;1591962293]I'm planning on going forward with a cam swap. I'll need a tune afterwards, so my question is, after I spend the money for the dyno tune, and changes are made to the PCM by the tuner, who owns the tune.

Well,,, Its your car and its in your PCM. That part is yours. HOWEVER, if something happens to your PCM what you have is LOST.

So, you must go back to that tuner and have those files downloaded to your new PCM. If the tuner SAVED you data, it easy. If he didn't, your screwed.

SO,, if the tuner sent you your tuning file, how do you think you are going to up-load it into your PCM? You need tuning software like HP Tuners or EFI LIVE and the requires license for the VIN.

You need to discuss all this with WHOEVER you decide to tune your PCM.

If its Chuck, I would be very CONFIDENT that he would be able to find your specific tuning file and make your PCM as it was before the problem. That could be done by simply mailing the PCM to him.

SO,,,,,,,,,,, You have decided to install a CAM. Can you please list ALL the OTHER stuff that you are going to do/change/up-grade along with the cam install??

That list should be LONG!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 04-15-2016 at 12:24 PM.
95rtturbo (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 01:27 PM
DVUSz06
Racer

Thanks for the information Bill on the tuning and pcm questions I had.

SO,,,,,,,,,,, You have decided to install a CAM. Can you please list ALL the OTHER stuff that you are going to do/change/up-grade along with the cam install??

That list should be LONG!

Bill[/QUOTE]

I ordered a BTR ls1/ls2 stage 2 cam, platium 660 with titanium retainers, 5/16 hardened push rods 7.400, gm heavy duty timing chain, and new gm hb bolt. My z06 already has ARH 1 3/4 longtubes (ceramic coated) with high flow catted x-pipe. Car has 40k on it now and will inspect oil pump and rockers at disassembly and will replace anything showing abnormal wear.
No future mods are planned for this engine. Will upgrade clutch when this on fails but not planning to replace at this time.
I don't track it, or drag it, just looking to enhance the performance that may have been left on the table by gm engineers to comply with regs.

Thank
Larry

Last edited by DVUSz06; 04-15-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: forgot a thought I wanted to touch on.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:39 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I would recommend replacing the oil pump regardless since you are there (melling 10295 is a good one), new balancer with an arp bolt (powerbond is a good stock replacement), do a rocker arm trunion upgrade (comp or tooley), and a good beefy single roller chain (c5r)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dyno tune and PCM