Sponsored by:

Why aren't cars selling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 03:48 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Perkins
Here is what I am seeing the prices of the C5,s are staying toward the high side for a good well taken care of car. The age of the car requires the buyer to pay cash for it. The buyers have 10-12K available but you are not going to find a nice C5 for that money so the sellers are getting low ball offers. Look back at history the same happened with the C4's, history repeats its self. If you have a nice C5 why sell it you will not get anything better for the money you get unless you are going to finance a newer C6 or C7.
Yeah I do have a really nice, lightly modded C5 coupe that I bought off the original owner 10 years ago. Everything is well cared for and a reliable shop did the cam and clutch. Fall of 2014 I bought a SWZ that I plan on keeping pretty stock just because how few there are. I can't drive 2 cars at the same time, and I only put about a few thousand miles on a year. I love the look of my coupe over my Z, but when comparing apples to apples, it's just a coupe compared to a SWZ.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:34 PM
5thgenvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my 2 owner triple black 99 with 77k on it for 13,5 a little more than half a year ago. All it needed was an idler pulley and I felt that was a fair price but I can't seem to get much interest on the 2 owner 98 vert we have, only 3 serious inquiries in a week with 83k at an asking of 13k
Old 04-12-2016, 05:23 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

It's all a matter of supply and demand. Plenty of supply, spotty seasonal demand. Now factor in they are old and you need more than a box of wrenches to keep them going. Professionals don't work on them cheap so if you can't fix them yourself you may make another choice.

My older friends still have their lead sleds, 49 Mercury, early 50 street rods and demand is down for them also. The Model A Ford clubs are a dying breed and in time the C5 will follow because your grand kids want something different.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:32 PM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Most people are pretty proud of their cars. More so than the buying public.

A good indication is when private party asking prices start becoming higher than retail dealer asking prices. Something that I have been seeing over and over.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 102 Posts

For $20K, a person will buy a new Honda Accord. More practical, problem free, keeps its resale values, and 4 doors and cheap upkeep.

C5 is a toy. Not many people can afford toys.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:46 PM
ttiros
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

This is no surprise that modified vettes move slow. Just look at the past two week threads about vettes that have been worked on by previous owners. Those were horror stories.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
The prices for C5s bottomed out two years ago, retail pricing has begun moving upwards. Current ratios of supply and demand favor the seller right now. As with all sports cars, the more mods or the more personalized the mods are the slower they are to move.
Agreed! Some mods, are in the eye of the owner, not the potential buyer!!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:06 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm that dude, I would rather have a car that has been modded than one that hasn't
but I'm not a purist (so to speak). I like a Vette that stands out or is unique rather than one that dosen't or is still factory. But that's just me. Everyone has their thing. I'm in it for the joy not the resale. If I owned a car lot it might be different.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by sloopdawg
I'm that dude, I would rather have a car that has been modded than one that hasn't
but I'm not a purist (so to speak). I like a Vette that stands out or is unique rather than one that dosen't or is still factory. But that's just me. Everyone has their thing. I'm in it for the joy not the resale. If I owned a car lot it might be different.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:03 AM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I think the issue on the C5Z side is, there is just nothing to rival it until you exceed 25k...if you sell at 15k...what do you buy...talk about lose for the seller and win for the buyer..lol. The C5Z's are holding strong in their place of value for that reason. Now we see C6Z's starting to crunch in right behind them also, as the LS7 failures have devalued them a couple grand (unless there is documented head attention). The used performance Corvette market is solid, so then you have these guys with verts and coupes...some with low miles wanting 20k and it's just a no sell proposition. Too many options at 20k to buy a base model. So, on that end, I see a lot of over priced cars. The C5 market is about the C5Z right now...that's it.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Jake the Snake
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

It seems that many people think these cars should sell cheap and that is the case with many that have been beat or mistreated or just high mileage. They will take a lot of money to get back into great shape and the sellers were aware of that, so they sold low.

Mine is a 2002 Z51 with all options, convertible, magnetic red, pristine shape and low mileage at 23,000. The KBB value in my area is $17,600 private party and $19,766 dealer. It has a couple of mods, COW tune, B&M ripper, TI exhaust and new leather seats, but I do have all the original parts. Never been tracked or beat on, no body damage ever.

Would I sell it for $20,000..HELL NO. Fortunately I don't need or want to but when I do I believe there will be a market for it. There are people who want and will pay for a very desirable car, low mileage with all the options.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:45 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

I blame some of this BS on people that buy C-5s and sink big money in them and did not do any research on what they are selling for if a C-5 is selling for lets say $16-$20 and you sink $7-$8,000 more in it and try to sell it for $25-$28. not happening . People who buy these Moded C-5s know what they are looking at but most know nothing about the mods you do to there Corvette . People think cause people want a Corvette they know something about them NOT most know very little about what they are looking at and the mods just steer them away from buying they don't know what the hell your talking about anyway .. I buy Moded Corvette why I know what they are worth ,two years back 04 Z-16 Cools headers ,Cools X-pipe GHL cat back ,new $3,200 for just that and a $800.00 Kentwood , V-ram air intake and on and on low miles $22,000 that's what I gave for it ,why I know mods and the worth ,most don't have any idea what the heck is the worth of any of this stuff ,that's why these C-5s are hard to sell . I see unmoded low miles C-5s selling .I buy my Corvette with the intention of keeping them I look for ones I want to keep why very hard to resell .. Do your home work before you buy one and put way too much in it and wonder why you can't sell it to someone that knows nothing about Corvettes at that point its a used HOT ROD..Drive it and have fun .. Mines a keeper can't sell it might as well be a keeper..
Old 04-13-2016, 01:11 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by gimp
Price is too high. I'm in the market, but I'm not seeing what I want.
Look at Canada. It might be worth the trip to find a decent car since your dollar is worth more.
The following users liked this post:
Fatbob (04-16-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 01:16 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Good thread. Selling my C5 soon and like to see the different opinions. As a seller I already realized I will not get back the money I put into the car, but I knew that going in.

I dont consider it a lost though as I know many people do. the money is long gone and if I didnt spend it on the vette I would have spent it somewhere else (probably a boat so I feel lucky ). Someone will get a good deal (as many people on this forum have from me in the past) and I will take the money and complete my bar. I see it as a win win.....

And yes my vette is highly modified. that is what you get when you are friends with high performance shop. But driving a C5 with a NA 427 putting out a 550 RWHP/RWTQ is a blast
Old 04-13-2016, 03:08 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
Look at Canada. It might be worth the trip to find a decent car since your dollar is worth more.
2-3 years ago you could find deals here in Canada, but not much anymore

The price has steadily gone up the last few years

A stock low mileage Z has an asking price now of nearly $30k, few years ago you could probably get one for the low $20's

I think the C5's are in that awkward place now where they are kind of dated, but still good cars, so they are holding their value but for the money you can get into a lot of other great machines

I know for a fact a lot of C5's here in canada are not selling, and ive seen a lot of the ones here in the forum not selling either

I think the price is just too high
Old 04-13-2016, 03:26 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Its a money thing also ,most people don't have $16-$25,000 cash laying around have to get a lone some do and tell your banker buying a Hot Rod C-5 Corvette and I need $22,000 right .. What they are 12-15 years old now ,just hard to do get the money unless your like some got Hot Rod money ..C-5 in a bad place right now if you have one drive it be happy can't give it away might as well ..
Old 04-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Whats really interesting is the Price spectrum you find on C5's. Anywhere from $8000-$30000!

Get notified of new replies

To Why aren't cars selling?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by radar502
Its a money thing also ,most people don't have $16-$25,000 cash laying around have to get a lone some do and tell your banker buying a Hot Rod C-5 Corvette and I need $22,000 right .. What they are 12-15 years old now ,just hard to do get the money unless your like some got Hot Rod money ..C-5 in a bad place right now if you have one drive it be happy can't give it away might as well ..
This is probably the best explanation available. The C5 is a cash car now due to age, an expensive cash car. I saw on the news a few months back that 63% of Americans don't have enough savings to cover a $500 unexpected expense. Pretty sad.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:56 PM
radar502
Safety Car

To a real Rodders this is what we do spend money on our rides and sell no we be thinking about the wow deal 1/4 mile deal having fun reselling is not in the thought .I think the C-5 is kinda like the old 57 Chevy 69-70 Big block Cheval most are hot rods now days this is what we have to play with ,like I say real Rodders don't think resale be cool have some fun and check out my ride most keep them for years heck my 04 has a name and yes I have $30,000 in it ,real Rodders don't care see what I got in the garage WOW low 11s in 1/4 works for me spinning from start to finish.. If worrying about the money in your ride maybe you need to be driving a yotomoto or something.. Just saying..
Old 04-13-2016, 04:57 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

C5's, like anything else are only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. I have an early '98 coupe which I bought new. Around 75k on it. Apart from wheels/tires and an intake it is stock. Both roofs, the "glass" one hardly used, original window sticker, never damaged. And luckily, the ECBM still works.

While I have no plans to sell it, I think if I really had to for any reason, I would be lucky to get much over $10k. I see a lot of people on here who I think have a very optimistic view of what a C5 is worth these days. They are old, the newest being 12 years old. Mine was built in the summer of '97, so next year it will be a 20 year old. Ask yourself, would you lay out big $$$ for a 20 year old car?

And as has been said, no car loans out there for old cars.

Last edited by jackthelad; 04-13-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Why aren't cars selling?