Sponsored by:

Still waiting on Hood!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:39 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
you're on the downhill, just give the bodyshop the time he needs to make it right
Yes I am, just a long downhill slope! Ty though for your kind words!
Old 05-09-2016, 01:46 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
If the guy has a lot of work, your insistence or pressure will only make him rush the job... If he isn't busy , it may not be an issue.. It has a whole lot to do with personality. His personality. !!!

Some guys need a kick in the *** and subscribe to the notion that if the customer doesn't care, he can put your car on the back burner. So he can bring in more work.. Most body shops take your car apart ( first thing ) so they can tie it up and keep you from taking it somewhere else. Every body shop is different. Some have a really good customers service mentality, but most that I have seen over 50 years, Do not. Pushing them could help, but pushing them could leave you very disappointed.

If they have been sanding your car for 3 days.. even if they only did 4 hours a day @ 80 an hour ) that 960 dollars that's not fitting or painting either. add paint and materials. That's about 1800 dollars on top of the cost of the hood.
He said he likes to do extra things for his customers, like adding the little air brushed flames on the cowls for me. He offered to clean it out and put my mufflers on which he didn't have to do, so he's going above and beyond. I can't give him too much of a hard time. I think he bites off more than he can chew to be honest. He's had it long enough to do all that to it while waiting. When we did go out to bring the mufflers a month ago, he said he has times where he has nothing to do so no problem. I've even offered to answer his phone and deal with walk-ins to help him out! Still no decision on that yet, but I know it would certainly make his life easier and the shop run much smoother.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

While he's doing all these "extra things", make sure he has time to get those louvers removed.......

Shakey
Old 05-09-2016, 01:56 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
While he's doing all these "extra things", make sure he has time to get those louvers removed.......

Shakey
They're not louvers, they're flames and they will go with the flames on the twin cowls perfectly! I love em and honestly don't care what you or anyone else thinks! To each's own Shakey......
Old 05-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Flames you say? SMH........you might as well put on some curb feelers and fuzzy dice...

You GO Huggy!
Old 05-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I think you should sue them.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:16 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Flames you say? SMH........you might as well put on some curb feelers and fuzzy dice...

You GO Huggy!
Great idea!! Thanks!
Old 05-09-2016, 03:17 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black 02
I think you should sue them.
You probably would!
Old 05-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CindysC5
You probably would!
I take responsibility for my own actions, right or wrong, so probably not
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 102 Posts

Cindy, it will be worth the wait. Even if it is little off, it will be very visible and it will bother the heck out of you. Hang in there. The smallest wave will be very visible in the sun. Clear coat will enhance it.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:55 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Studying4boards
Cindy, it will be worth the wait. Even if it is little off, it will be very visible and it will bother the heck out of you. Hang in there. The smallest wave will be very visible in the sun. Clear coat will enhance it.
Yes you're right....just never expected it to take almost 3 months. He wants it perfect, so do I. Hope by end of next week he said.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:12 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,015 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Yes you're right....just never expected it to take almost 3 months. He wants it perfect, so do I. Hope by end of next week he said.
Be happy your body man wants it perfect, that would make me feel better about it all.
Once you have it back, it will be all good.
The following users liked this post:
CindysC5 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 07:47 PM
Rico7142
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
Be happy your body man wants it perfect, that would make me feel better about it all.
Once you have it back, it will be all good.

It will be worth the wait to have perfection later, than to rush and settle for inferior work and end up taking more time to correct the hurried mistakes
Old 05-20-2016, 03:16 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rico7142

It will be worth the wait to have perfection later, than to rush and settle for inferior work and end up taking more time to correct the hurried mistakes
I hate to say it but I went there last Thursday and both were there and still being sanded as of yesterday! Two weeks!!! I don't think so! I think what's happening is when he has something come in that he can do quick and make quick money, he's at it and puts mine to the side! Plus he has no one at the front desk to handle walk-ins or phone calls (which he hardly ever answers so I can get an update!) Although he might be very good, he's not constantly at my car! Even said this was the only car he's had this long.....so why not get it done and out of there!?? Also, he's already been paid by the insurance company!! In two days, it will be exactly three months since the accident! Can anyone else out there tell me they wouldn't be going off the deep end also!?!?!?!?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:33 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I hate to say it but I went there last Thursday and both were there and still being sanded as of yesterday! Two weeks!!! I don't think so! I think what's happening is when he has something come in that he can do quick and make quick money, he's at it and puts mine to the side! Plus he has no one at the front desk to handle walk-ins or phone calls (which he hardly ever answers so I can get an update!) Although he might be very good, he's not constantly at my car! Even said this was the only car he's had this long.....so why not get it done and out of there!?? Also, he's already been paid by the insurance company!! In two days, it will be exactly three months since the accident! Can anyone else out there tell me they wouldn't be going off the deep end also!?!?!?!?
Cindy, I hate that this is taking so long, it is typical of a body shop not to work on just one car. They sand and then fill the low spots, and have to wait till it's dry then do it all over again. Still seems like a very long time
The following users liked this post:
CindysC5 (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Sue them yet?

I agree though, three months is too long. Have they had the car the entire time or only for two weeks? Two weeks is like one day in paint and body time, especially if they're getting paid hourly
Old 05-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

They have already made their money off of you... They have nothing more to gain, they have already lost your respect.. and any recommendations from you. There are some lessons to be learned here. You never pay anyone until the job is done and especially to your satisfaction.

I don't know your particular situation ( insurance wise. ) but if they were paid by a hostile insurance company ( not yours but someone who hit you ) You may have been sent to tis shop by them. And they dealed your job. In an accident , you ALWAYS take it to Your sahop not theirs. ... You have control over the repair, not the insurance company. There are stae laws governing insurance claims and repairs.
The client ( your ) should not be the victim of these insurance scams... and that's what they are. You have a right to have your car fixed, it be guaranteed to be repaired for life, and repaired in a timely manner. You are a victim of this insurance scam, where they put your car on the back burner until their shop has no work, and then they will work on it. You really need to contact your Stated Attorney General's Office of consumer affairs at the State Insurance commissions office. They regulate both insurance company conspiracy claims like this, and repair shops like this.
They ( the body shop )could keep your car another six months, and spend 5 minutes a day for the next six months working on it.
Ultimately you learned a valuable lesion here. I think , at this point you need to be more involved... You could talk to your insurance agent and mention the Attorney generals office., and the State Insurance commission.
I hope you the best... BTW, it took three days to get my hood in the shop, uncrate it, sand it and seal it, paint it and put it on. The shop had about 20 cars in their shop.They did not get any money, or I did not sign the check until the job was done. IN your case, the insurance company made out a check to your shop and you... You should not have signed it until the job was done. You are certainly not at fault here. Its a shame you have to learn this game, this way. You have very specific rights. You are a victim here, and you need to pursue your rights. But you have to do it in a way that is effective. The insurance laws are on your side. You could have used your insurance company ( friendly ) and have them go after the other insurance company.
Good Luck
Bill aka ET

Get notified of new replies

To Still waiting on Hood!!!

Old 05-20-2016, 06:15 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
They have already made their money off of you... They have nothing more to gain, they have already lost your respect.. and any recommendations from you. There are some lessons to be learned here. You never pay anyone until the job is done and especially to your satisfaction.

I don't know your particular situation ( insurance wise. ) but if they were paid by a hostile insurance company ( not yours but someone who hit you ) You may have been sent to tis shop by them. And they dealed your job. In an accident , you ALWAYS take it to Your sahop not theirs. ... You have control over the repair, not the insurance company. There are stae laws governing insurance claims and repairs.
The client ( your ) should not be the victim of these insurance scams... and that's what they are. You have a right to have your car fixed, it be guaranteed to be repaired for life, and repaired in a timely manner. You are a victim of this insurance scam, where they put your car on the back burner until their shop has no work, and then they will work on it. You really need to contact your Stated Attorney General's Office of consumer affairs at the State Insurance commissions office. They regulate both insurance company conspiracy claims like this, and repair shops like this.
They ( the body shop )could keep your car another six months, and spend 5 minutes a day for the next six months working on it.
Ultimately you learned a valuable lesion here. I think , at this point you need to be more involved... You could talk to your insurance agent and mention the Attorney generals office., and the State Insurance commission.
I hope you the best... BTW, it took three days to get my hood in the shop, uncrate it, sand it and seal it, paint it and put it on. The shop had about 20 cars in their shop.They did not get any money, or I did not sign the check until the job was done. IN your case, the insurance company made out a check to your shop and you... You should not have signed it until the job was done. You are certainly not at fault here. Its a shame you have to learn this game, this way. You have very specific rights. You are a victim here, and you need to pursue your rights. But you have to do it in a way that is effective. The insurance laws are on your side. You could have used your insurance company ( friendly ) and have them go after the other insurance company.
Good Luck
Bill aka ET
Unfortunately, it's my insurance company since the girl who hit me doesn't seem to have any as of today. Auto body guy was recommended to me by the friend who was in the car with me. Because I have a loan on it, the ins check would have had to be sent to the loan company in Cali first (we know how long that would have taken), then to me to be signed and cashed. So, in the interest of getting things done quicker (so I thought), we decided to just let the ins check go straight to the shop of which I never had to sign. The entire ordeal has taken way longer than I ever dreamed or heard in anyone else's stories! Starting from Ecklers ordering 2 weeks after shop ordered it, then everyone taking longer than they said to make the hood and bumper! Don't forget though, I ordered after market hood and bumper, not OEM. Now, him taking forever to get it done! If it's not done by mid to end of next week, I think I will have to get a bit vocal!! But, don't want to really go there for fear he won't do as good a job or tell me to take it elsewhere! Then I would still have to wait longer, I'm sure! Between a rock and a hard place!!

Last edited by CindysC5; 05-20-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:16 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black 02
Sue them yet?

I agree though, three months is too long. Have they had the car the entire time or only for two weeks? Two weeks is like one day in paint and body time, especially if they're getting paid hourly
Yes they've had the car the entire time!
Old 05-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Yes they've had the car the entire time!
I could have predicted this the minute you decided on a aftermarket hood and body parts, you thought he was doing you a favor by agreeing to get these parts for you but he should have known it would take longer to get, prep, and finish yet he is getting paid a regular part price for costume work soooo you will always be on back burner for this type transaction. I would not threaten to sue, it will get you nowhere, just be a constant figure at his shop so he can't lie about what he is doing. Good luck

Quick Reply: Still waiting on Hood!!!