Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing water leaks, where should the water be going?

Old 05-04-2016, 01:49 PM
2000C5guy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing water leaks, where should the water be going?

Hey guys, my windows leak like crazy, I'm talking soaked floor on both sides and even worked its way to the trunk from the top of the b pillar . I am in the process of completely resealing both sides, down to the body itself. My question is, when it's all said and done and I'm water testing it, where is the water suppose to go? Should the door hinges be getting wet at all? Should there be any water sitting at the door sill, or is the entire door frame supposed to remain dry? I love this car but holy crap I want to enjoy it and be done with the water issue for good... only had it a few days and I don't have a garage...
Old 05-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

when I use water (seldom) my door jambs are wet ????? (I have a coupe) the rear hatch the water runs down the channels thru a hole in the base of the hatch down past the rear wheel wells !!!!! I never have any water inside !!!! been thru a couple real good downpours !!!
Old 05-04-2016, 02:05 PM
2000C5guy
Heel & Toe

Consider yourself very fortunate lol. I'm one of the unlucky ones with bad water leaks on my fixed roof. I did see all the channels where the water is supposed to go out the back. My problem is that so much water leaks in behind the weather strip on both doors that it runs to the trunk. I followed the trail yesterday. Not to mention sitting water under both seats. And door hinges are soaked. This is just from sitting out in the rain...

Last edited by 2000C5guy; 05-04-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Fix Roof Coupe/ZO6s have a BAD problem with the sealing compound between the windshield header/ A Pillar and Roof leaking.

The water runs down the inside windshield frame, down the door pillar and INSIDE the cabin.. IF, you remove the door sill cover and have someone SPRAY down the car, you will see exactly where the water is leaking in.

I got lazy and built an RTV dam that directed the leak to the OUTSIDE. I still have to rip off the door seal and the roof rail and reseal everything!

Hinges... YES they can get wet. That's NORMAL... BUT,,, The hinge to body seal can sometimes fail or was never right from the factory. I filled mine in with RTV. If you tape up the painted body, apply the RTV and lay cellophane over the RTV, once it hardens, it looks factory.

UNSEALED FROM FACTORY:

RTV SEALED by BC:

Upper

Lower hinge:

The area where the plastic rivet is, you can see a drip.. This is where the water is leak into your passengers foot well. It runs down on to the inside of the door sill area and into the floor:

The BALCK frame area is where you will see the water running in. This is where I made the RTV DAM and solved the issue...

The following users liked this post:
Pounder (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 04:53 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've got some Word files that cover water leaks in the C5. If you'd like a copy of them, PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward them to you.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:52 PM
2000C5guy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I've got some Word files that cover water leaks in the C5. If you'd like a copy of them, PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward them to you.
Pm sent, thanks a lot!

And thank you for the detailed pics above as well, I will fill in any gap I see that shouldn't be there. Probably going to use a combo of 3m strip caulking and RTV.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:04 PM
2000C5guy
Heel & Toe

[/QUOTE]

Windows are fixed but water pours in the under the passenger kick panel. If you look at the speaker above, the gap directly below and slightly to the left is where water pours in. A bit of water gets in the driver side as well but not enough volume to leak into the cabin. The car is nose up in the driveway now, I remember reading someone elses post with a similar situation. Is the windshield cowl a culprit here? I cleaned out all the udders as well. I did seal the hinges too as a precaution although they weren't a problem.

Last edited by 2000C5guy; 05-14-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:18 PM
2000C5guy
Heel & Toe

Hopefully the pic above works. This is my potential solution for the leak I found. Its the only opening that leads in the side panel. So i shot some water in it and sure enough it came out at my leak. I completely sealed the top opening with black silicone. When it dries will tell how it works out.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:49 PM
2000C5guy
Heel & Toe

The seal I made is a no go. Same spot, I circled above on my car if it will help anyone to know where I'm looking. Seems to have helped the drivers side but when soaking the front corner of the passenger window this spot still leaks heavily. I'm at a loss now, I have no idea where its coming from. Anyone have an ideas? Like i said the nose of the car is uphill for these tests since it sits in the rain like that most days. I really wantnto just enjoy this car, 3 weeks of ownership and the interior has been apart for all of it.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:16 PM
2000C5guy
Heel & Toe

Ok i took a closer look at Bill Curries pictures above. The way I sealed my hinges is very skimpy compared to his. I will fit that void solid and report back.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:39 PM
2000C5guy
Heel & Toe

I am now at a complete loss. I sealed every thing as per the instructions above. For some reason, water still comes in at the blue circle I posted above. Sadly, if I cannot find a solution to this, my vette will have to sit in the street where the road is flat, since it only seems to leak in the driveway which has the nose upward. I will say that filling all the voids in Bills posts above has dramatically decreased the water flow in this area, however, especially on the passenger side, if I flood the lower corner area of the windshield, it leaks into the passenger kick panel. Any help here at all?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000C5guy
I am now at a complete loss. I sealed every thing as per the instructions above. For some reason, water still comes in at the blue circle I posted above. Sadly, if I cannot find a solution to this, my vette will have to sit in the street where the road is flat, since it only seems to leak in the driveway which has the nose upward. I will say that filling all the voids in Bills posts above has dramatically decreased the water flow in this area, however, especially on the passenger side, if I flood the lower corner area of the windshield, it leaks into the passenger kick panel. Any help here at all?

I'm not being a smart-***.

Can you back the car in so nose is down to lessen the damage while you
try to get this issue solved?

My only help, sorry.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:25 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Consider yourself very fortunate lol. I'm one of the unlucky ones with bad water leaks on my fixed roof. I did see all the channels where the water is supposed to go out the back. My problem is that so much water leaks in behind the weather strip on both doors that it runs to the trunk. I followed the trail yesterday. Not to mention sitting water under both seats. And door hinges are soaked. This is just from sitting out in the rain...
I had pretty bad water leaks in my Z as well, especially on the driver side. I was able to fix it by taping everything off and spraying a lot of plasti dip down in the roof molding channel. The reason I say a lot is that I sprayed enough for it to flow into the channel and seal everything up. I haven't had any leaks since. Pretty backyard way of fixing it, but it worked and is reversible if I ever want to clean and reseal it another way.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:29 AM
2000C5guy
Heel & Toe

I haven't water tested it with the nose down.... if I were to back in I would want to pull the interior apart and test again just to be sure I don't walk out to puddles on the floor again. The car is virtually never going to be nose down anywhere and I don't want to possibly open another can of worms until I fix the more relevant issue. As of now, all I know is I can park it flat, and it will only slightly leak, or nose up and it amplifies the leak.

I don't think it coming from the window area at all. I sealed the roof molding and weatherstripping mounting channels with black silicone. There is literally no spot for water to get in except where the window meets the weather strip, but that hasn't leaked yet.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:58 AM
billc80
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default water

I haven't water tested it with the nose down.... if I were to back in I would want to pull the interior apart and test again just to be sure I don't walk out to puddles on the floor again. The car is virtually never going to be nose down anywhere and I don't want to possibly open another can of worms until I fix the more relevant issue. As of now, all I know is I can park it flat, and it will only slightly leak, or nose up and it amplifies the leak.

I don't think it coming from the window area at all. I sealed the roof molding and weatherstripping mounting channels with black silicone. There is literally no spot for water to get in except where the window meets the weather strip, but that hasn't leaked yet.
My FRC don't leak parked downhill.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:18 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

your BCM is on the passenger foot well... if it gets wet you'll have ALL kinds of issues... even moisture can cause damage... remove your carpet, put a fan inside and DRY things out... mold, smell, and damage to electrical stuff can get ugly quick Good luck
Old 05-27-2016, 03:52 PM
2000C5guy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
your BCM is on the passenger foot well... if it gets wet you'll have ALL kinds of issues... even moisture can cause damage... remove your carpet, put a fan inside and DRY things out... mold, smell, and damage to electrical stuff can get ugly quick Good luck
I did reveal the BCM behind the foot board, it was dry back there throughout my testing, thank god.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:53 PM
Joey Z
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did reveal the BCM behind the foot board, it was dry back there throughout my testing, thank god.
did your problem ever get resolved?

Get notified of new replies

To Fixing water leaks, where should the water be going?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fixing water leaks, where should the water be going?