Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tablet install 2005 C5 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Basically, what you would be looking for are these key words: PX5 and/or octa-core A53, and 4gb RAM. Bluetooth performance generally isn't an issue with the newer units.

Unfortunately most that I see only have a single subwoofer output. However, if all you need is just bluetooth, then get a regular single din unit. If you want backup camera functions, a regular double din unit would do. Only go Android if you want to use the functionality Android offers, as it is a steeper learning curve in using them than your regular radio.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:05 AM
Scholioso
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Basically, what you would be looking for are these key words: PX5 and/or octa-core A53, and 4gb RAM. Bluetooth performance generally isn't an issue with the newer units.

Unfortunately most that I see only have a single subwoofer output. However, if all you need is just bluetooth, then get a regular single din unit. If you want backup camera functions, a regular double din unit would do. Only go Android if you want to use the functionality Android offers, as it is a steeper learning curve in using them than your regular radio.
Right now, I have a single din unit that's bluetooth. It works for my needs, but it just looks like s***. I actually really like the look of this:
https://www.ebay.com/i/332423970134?chn=ps
What makes you say it's a steep learning curve? This looks to be cheaper, & have more functionality than the pioneer double din's I was looking at before.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:23 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Remember that it is an Android unit, and that it comes with all the quirks of Android. Especially in the case of these Chinese units, which often come with proprietary roms and software. Getting full functionality out of these units might require custom roms and root, though most apps will work just fine. Waze on these don't work unless you have tethering/hotspot enabled on your phone, or if you have one of those USB sticks for cellphone data attached.

I have the Joying SoFIA unit in my C5, and the phone app does not work properly. Can't make calls with it, and it doesn't properly recognize when calls are ended. Just one of the quirks you might run into. They're also known to overheat and throttle down unless cooling mods are added, but that was mostly a problem on older units/chipsets.

I have used it with the Torque app and a USB OBD II unit, and it seems to work just fine. It's a nifty tool that can record and display various parameters.

Last edited by Tsumi; 04-25-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:39 AM
Scholioso
Racer

Thats awesome! On that link I shared, looking at it, it has all the rca outputs I need! Fronts, rears, sub, video in, video out, etc. I think this is what I was looking for! I do indeed have mobile hotspot on my phone which I can turn on/off. I was reading about them overheating, but from what I read, you are correct, thats mainly on older units. These new ones are pretty good from what I have seen. I have an S8 which is why I didnt want a normal double din as most are made for iphones. I just want one that works with my phone & google play, etc. Do you know if I can load my google play library onto it? Like with a flashdrive or something?
Old 04-25-2018, 03:02 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

The one you linked only has a single subwoofer output. It appears that most of these units only have one subwoofer output. You stated that you needed two subwoofer outputs. If a single subwoofer output is enough, I would get this one for more RAM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8core-4GB-R...oAAOSwi4lae8sa

The Joying connections do seem a lot cleaner though without the extra harnesses.

What do you mean by Google Play library? If you mean apps, you can simply sign in with your Google account and all your apps will be available to use. If you mean music, they have an SD card slot for that, as well as the internal memory. Of course, you can use a USB memory stick as well. I got one of these and replaced the console cigarette lighter with it connected to the rear USB ports on my head unit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWNZ18N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWNZ18N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-25-2018, 10:10 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by carluver
could this be used to control hvac?
I seem to remember there are/have been vendors out there producing custom aftermarket "piggy back" touch screen interfaces that can be modified to interact & take over functions from older vehicles and/or to help interface w/ newer tech/stereos etc.

Back when I was driving a Pontiac G8 I remember seeing some guys doing mods like that - central displays that could tap into the cars ECM pull data, consolidate & display in its own menus while also allowing control of HVAC/stereo functions etc.

I don't think this tablet idea makes alot of sense unless you were able to simultaneously display/control stereo functions - if you could get some app to talk w/ a qualiyt head unit and/or install both together then we'd be cooking w/ gas
Old 04-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Scholioso
Racer

The one you linked only has a single subwoofer output. It appears that most of these units only have one subwoofer output. You stated that you needed two subwoofer outputs. If a single subwoofer output is enough, I would get this one for more RAM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8core-4GB-R...oAAOSwi4lae8sa

The Joying connections do seem a lot cleaner though without the extra harnesses.

What do you mean by Google Play library? If you mean apps, you can simply sign in with your Google account and all your apps will be available to use. If you mean music, they have an SD card slot for that, as well as the internal memory. Of course, you can use a USB memory stick as well. I got one of these and replaced the console cigarette lighter with it connected to the rear USB ports on my head unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Oh, my apologies. When I said 2 for the sub, like a left & right plug I meant. I don't know why I felt necessary to detail that. That's like saying I need 2 pant leg pants. Makes no sense. Anyways, yeah, both would be suitable. Front, Rear, & Sub outputs. I wonder how well these actually work/hold up. They are cheaper than even the basic of pioneer double dins I was looking at. I will see if I can hunt down some reviews. I know you had said that they do have some quirks/flaws in them?

Update: I was checking out that one you linked, & it doesn't have any rca outputs. I know that it has them, just different wiring which I would have to redo. For me, that's a bummer. I don't feel like doing that. I know the one you supplied has double the ram, but is that going to be that noticeable in the car?

Last edited by Scholioso; 04-25-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scholioso
Oh, my apologies. When I said 2 for the sub, like a left & right plug I meant. I don't know why I felt necessary to detail that. That's like saying I need 2 pant leg pants. Makes no sense. Anyways, yeah, both would be suitable. Front, Rear, & Sub outputs. I wonder how well these actually work/hold up. They are cheaper than even the basic of pioneer double dins I was looking at. I will see if I can hunt down some reviews. I know you had said that they do have some quirks/flaws in them?
They are cheap, true, and that is what attracted me to them in the first place. For things like bluetooth music streaming, they seem to work fine. For a while, my Joying unit would have stuttering bluetooth streaming until a recent update. After the update, the calling feature broke; I can't make calls with the head unit, but I can receive them. Microphones aren't the best, they pick up a lot of wind noise, at least, where mine is positioned.

​​​​From what I can tell, they all pretty much come from the same suppliers. Differences are minor, mainly the ROMs and button layout. Joying is the biggest and most well known, but their website recently disappeared, which can't be a good sign IMO.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Scholioso
Racer

That explains why all of their products are on sale. Probably killing off that brand or branch would be my assumption & putting it all into something else. I noticed that the Hizpo brand you linked me to was almost identical to the Joying unit. Except as you said, button layout. So my assumption is they are both probably owned by one company, just sold as two different ones.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

That explains why all of their products are on sale. Probably killing off that brand or branch would be my assumption & putting it all into something else. I noticed that the Hizpo brand you linked me to was almost identical to the Joying unit. Except as you said, button layout. So my assumption is they are both probably owned by one company, just sold as two different ones.
That's what I've found to be the case. Chinese companies are notorious for using something like 5-10 different usernames on Ebay, and there's probably 2 suppliers for 5 different "companies." Presumably whenever one has too bad of an image, they can just abandon it and switch to the next one.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:37 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Yeah. Exactly. Might be the right time to pick one of those up then.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:11 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

That's what I've found to be the case. Chinese companies are notorious for using something like 5-10 different usernames on Ebay, and there's probably 2 suppliers for 5 different "companies." Presumably whenever one has too bad of an image, they can just abandon it and switch to the next one.
How well would an iPhone work with one of those joying octo units?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:16 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by z06801
How well would an iPhone work with one of those joying octo units?
Haven't tried. Apparently my brother tried to get it working with my unit, but he couldn't get bluetooth streaming to work. Granted, he was trying to do it while driving and I wasn't in the car at the time, there's no reason to think it wouldn't work.

Hotspot/tethering on iphones would be trickier with lack of root/jailbreak unless you pay for a hotspot/tethering plan. These units are capable of screen mirroring over Wifi with both Android and iPhones, though I haven't tried it. I've only tried screen mirroring over USB, and it did okay.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:25 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Haven't tried. Apparently my brother tried to get it working with my unit, but he couldn't get bluetooth streaming to work. Granted, he was trying to do it while driving and I wasn't in the car at the time, there's no reason to think it wouldn't work.

Hotspot/tethering on iphones would be trickier with lack of root/jailbreak unless you pay for a hotspot/tethering plan. These units are capable of screen mirroring over Wifi with both Android and iPhones, though I haven't tried it. I've only tried screen mirroring over USB, and it did okay.
What is the Zlink they talk about? A direct USB hook up?
Thanks for your help on this! I thought yours looked really quite good.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Tsumi do you have a picture of your setup at all? I'd love to check it out
Old 04-25-2018, 05:25 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by z06801
What is the Zlink they talk about? A direct USB hook up?
Thanks for your help on this! I thought yours looked really quite good.
No idea, I assume it's the wifi screen mirroring.

Tsumi do you have a picture of your setup at all? I'd love to check it out
An old picture, but nothing much has changed.

The following users liked this post:
Scholioso (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Oh ok. How do you like it? I am looking at mounting it behind the dash bezel, as I want to delete the ash tray regardless. I'll probably end up getting a metra bezel as they are cheaper. I actually just found this:

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-eu...-4gb-32gb.html

I was reading online, Joying's old website was carjoying.com but now it's joyingauto.com weird. This is best of both worlds in my opinion. 4gb ram, 7" screen, actual rca outlets, as well as a volume **** which I'm happy about. I do appreciate all your help! You are located in San Fran? I live up in Sac. Hope to see you out cruisin some day!

Get notified of new replies

To Tablet install 2005 C5 corvette

Old 04-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Other than the quirks, I like it. I got the single DIN version because I didn't want to mess around with cutting the cage and cost of a double DIN bezel. I might go double DIN at some point in the future, but for now this is good enough.

Not quite San Francisco, more like mid-peninsula area. Can't miss my Corvette, it's got paint peeling from the front bumper (already bought a replacement bumper that needs to be painted, damaged it in an accident) and the sequential LED tail lights. Also has switchback LEDs in the front housings and the fender coves. Won't be driving it as much anymore as I'm about to get a company car, and weekend driving is mostly in trucks due to boating activities.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:33 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Nice! I know the struggle. My front bumper is cracked, paint missing, deep scratch, etc. Looks like s***, but I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place. The whole car in general needs a paint job. I have a replacement bumper as well, but if I paint just the bumper, it's not going to match the car. But if I try to match the car paint, well that's a waste of a paint job. Yet, to paint the car, is going to cost an arm & a leg to do it right. So for now, it'll look like death. It's not terrible, but it bugs me a lot. Same with the fenders. They flare where they bolt to the rocker panel because both rockers are missing that mounting location on them. So in order to fix that, I need new rockers or to find a shop that will actually do fiberglass work. Which is no one. I took it to a boat shop & they refused to work on it. Told me to take it to corvette care. They closed 2 years ago! Didn't have very good reviews either from what I hear. So for now, it's going to look like a used & abused vette till I get tired of the patina look. Good from far, far from good is how I describe it.

If you ever seen this thing around, give me a honk! Lol
Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by carluver
could this be used to control hvac?
Yes, but you would need to tie into the LIN Bus and send the correct LIN Bus command codes.
You could learn the correct codes to send by wiring into the LIN bus and using something like SocketCan (can-utils) using the cansniffer command.

Quick Reply: Tablet install 2005 C5 corvette