Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] How many Z06 owners use theirs primarly for track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:36 PM
ticket-red
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How many Z06 owners use theirs primarly for track?

Just curious how many owners of the Z06 use their car mostly as a track car, or just as a fun car to drive on the streets. I refused to track mine so it lasts longer, wondering how many others share that mentality or if they use theirs regularly at the track. I can see both ways, for me I guess it's a habit from my father about taking care of your cars and making them last. The replies might help gauge how many of these are being taken care of or driven hard.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:26 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I've owned mine for 13 years, and it's never been raced. Just turned 20k mi., and it's been my science project/garage queen.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

I got mine a few weeks ago with the intent on it being a Friday/Weekend driver, and occasional autocross car and some track time. I need to swap the brake fluid out and find some spare rims for a 2nd set of tires for both AutoX and track, but that was the whole reason I got the car. Something fun to track and I don't need as a daily driver that I can possibly trailer to some races.

The whole point was that it was affordable, parts are inexpensive, TONS of power and handling for the amount of money I'm buying it for, and easy to add power if I want.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Keeping your car "nice" is fine, but not using it the way it was designed and intended is a waste.

The Z06 has tons of design features like a baffled oil pan, brake ducts, bigger wheels and tires, thinner glass, stiffer suspension and special shocks and on and on, that make the car a true track machine. If you didn't buy it to use it that way, you might just as well buy a coupe with an automatic and soft suspension and take it to "cars and coffee" and stand around talking and then wax it once a week.

There's an old saying that not using your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend so that she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend...

Actually though, I'm happy that there are folks like you out there who don't put any miles or use these cars up, because when I want to go out an get another one I can find somebody's "garage queen" and have an almost new car for not much money at all.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
Keeping your car "nice" is fine, but not using it the way it was designed and intended is a waste.

The Z06 has tons of design features like a baffled oil pan, brake ducts, bigger wheels and tires, thinner glass, stiffer suspension and special shocks and on and on, that make the car a true track machine. If you didn't buy it to use it that way, you might just as well buy a coupe with an automatic and soft suspension and take it to "cars and coffee" and stand around talking and then wax it once a week.

There's an old saying that not using your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend so that she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend...

Actually though, I'm happy that there are folks like you out there who don't put any miles or use these cars up, because when I want to go out an get another one I can find somebody's "garage queen" and have an almost new car for not much money at all.
But..but...but the coupe with the automatic doesn't have the street cred that the Z06 does and it all about looking the most badass at the cars and coffee so its Z06 all the way!
Old 05-19-2016, 04:16 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it depends on how hard one drives it if they take it to the track. Someone like me would take it to the track to 'stretch' its legs and use the power that I can't on the street. It doesn't necessarily mean I'm abusing it just because it's been to the track.

I bet some people drive their Z harder on the street than some people do on the track - and maintenance goes a long way.

Last edited by 04silverZ06; 05-19-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:38 PM
zeevette
Race Director

The day comes you buy a car for me, I'll start giving a carp about your suggested usage.
The following users liked this post:
jeff7251954 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 05:08 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Street, no interest whatsoever in any track activities thank you.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:13 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

as are your comments
The following 2 users liked this post by S.C. vette:
jeff7251954 (05-24-2016), RoninC5 (05-22-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 05:15 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My car has over 101k miles. It was a daily driver for 7 years, has been down the 1/4 mile a handful of times and has seen more track miles than street miles over the past 5 years. If the drivers around Houston weren't so F'n crazy and roads pretty rough I would drive it more often.

I will echo the statement though about maintenance and care. Because I track the car fluids are changed often and I always do a thorough inspection before and after every event.

Running a road course on street tires really isn't any harder on your car than going for a "spirited drive" on some back roads and is actually much safer. I'm not sure why so many people are against it or bash it. If you want rough, drag racing is what's rough on your car. I've seen more people crash, blow up motors, explode their transmissions and catch their car on fire at the drag strip than from all the track event's I've been to.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

MongoZ06, you said it..... and then there is mine, 16 years of use and fun. SCCA National tour trailer queen for the first three years, then out of the trailer and two more years of Tour, and road trip use (including time in Europe), it's been back an forth across the country a dozen times, and has seen up to 30 track days a year (lead follow coach), I got my 150 lic at Bonneville (yes on the salt), it has 140k on it, and has never, yes Never had a tune-up. Lots of oil/fluids, brakes, tires, and still running strong. Wouldn't trade a min of the enjoyment/Adventures, I'v had with it. I just can't see Z. collecting dust for some one else.

As for tracking, Hell yea. It's a 16+ year old car that can shame most new cars when driving properly, and that only happens with seat time.

PS; its also the best looking Vett ever...(any color)...

Mark
ptindall (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:58 PM
ticket-red
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto One
MongoZ06, you said it..... and then there is mine, 16 years of use and fun. SCCA National tour trailer queen for the first three years, then out of the trailer and two more years of Tour, and road trip use (including time in Europe), it's been back an forth across the country a dozen times, and has seen up to 30 track days a year (lead follow coach), I got my 150 lic at Bonneville (yes on the salt), it has 140k on it, and has never, yes Never had a tune-up. Lots of oil/fluids, brakes, tires, and still running strong. Wouldn't trade a min of the enjoyment/Adventures, I'v had with it. I just can't see Z. collecting dust for some one else.

As for tracking, Hell yea. It's a 16+ year old car that can shame most new cars when driving properly, and that only happens with seat time.

PS; its also the best looking Vett ever...(any color)...

Mark
Did you ever change the valve springs? Would be cool to hear of someone pushing their car with the stock springs, and get to 140k miles.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:13 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

50/50 for me, in the winter months I swap seats tires and brake pads and do 5-6 track weekends. In the summer the pretty wheels go back on, factory seats back in and its a car show-cruise in machine.

Most guys who don't track their car are either scared or can't afford it.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:59 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
The day comes you buy a car for me, I'll start giving a carp about your suggested usage.
WTF does this mean? Oh wait, IDGAF.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:23 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

we have 6 c5s An '01 coupe 34k miles street car and '03 anniversary Rag with 3 k miles( not a miss print she loves that this car still smells new)
A 04 z16 street car 11 k miles and 3 02 zo6's with from 22k to 87 k miles that are mostly for road race use... These things take an amasing beating and keep coming back for more...

Last edited by 555ss; 05-20-2016 at 06:24 AM.
juggernautZ06 (05-22-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Mine is not for drag racing... It's more of a roll race car. ( 1/2 mi events and such) other than that I drive it every now and again. That being said, I would not hesitate to drive it cross country... It is the "total package"....
Old 05-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ticket-red
Did you ever change the valve springs? Would be cool to hear of someone pushing their car with the stock springs, and get to 140k miles.
My Z is a 2001, early production, (original valve springs) I haven't even changed the spark-plugs yet. Although spark plugs are on the list of things to do.

Mark

Last edited by Moto One; 05-20-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To How many Z06 owners use theirs primarly for track?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:45 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I can tell you this, I took my car to an all Vette show recently and left all the track stuff on the car including the slicks and numbers.

People thought my car was a damn UFO or something, those waxers could not fathom I actually used my car for track duty.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:15 AM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I can tell you this, I took my car to an all Vette show recently and left all the track stuff on the car including the slicks and numbers.

People thought my car was a damn UFO or something, those waxers could not fathom I actually used my car for track duty.

Lol that's awesome. I do vinyl work on the side and was considering making my Millennium Z look like the Lemans Vette for when I track it just for the hell of it.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop
WTF does this mean? Oh wait, IDGAF.
STFU, nOOb.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How many Z06 owners use theirs primarly for track?