Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP LT headers on stock H-pipe: Possible right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:06 PM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default TSP LT headers on stock H-pipe: Possible right?

Well my tiny budget found the TSP long tube headers to be the best bang for my buck. On their website it says that they include off-road connections to connect to the factory h-pipe and all that needs to be done is some cutting of the factory h-pipe.

I am confused because in the searches I did, I thought I had always read that long tube headers don't work with factory h-pipes because they do not have catalytic converters? Do the off-road connections supplied by TSP make it possible I'm assuming?

The kit comes with the following:
(2) cosmetic exhaust manifold gaskets
(2) 2.5" band clamps
(2) 3" band clamps
02 Extensions

Will I need anything else to complete this install? I'm planning doing it myself over a weekend with the LS1howto instructions and I'd rather not hit any snags!

I know header installations have been covered many times on the forum. I have read through most of them, but felt more comfortable making my own post before attempting this-thanks guys!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:23 PM
chasb4570
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Might be wrong, if so, someone more knowledgeable please correct. Recently installed LG headers with X-pipe and high flow cats. The removed H-pipe from the '04 was a solid unit including the cats that bolted up to the exhaust manifolds. The long tube headers replaced much of the previous H-pipe including the factory cats. The X-pipe was much shorter in length to include the high flow cats, X-pipe bolting up to the axle back.
Chas
Old 06-04-2016, 08:30 PM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

That is what I am confused about-but here's what it says from TSP's website about the headers:

"However, it WILL include the off-road connection pipes to connect to your factory H-pipe...The connection pipes will come standard with the headers and will allow you to fit the headers to your factory H-pipe. It will require you to cut the front portion of your factory H-pipe off in order to clamp the connection pipes in place."

Does that sound right?

Last edited by DrRaySomeDay; 06-04-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:45 PM
chasb4570
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRaySomeDay
That is what I am confused about-but here's what it says from TSP's website about the headers:

"However, it WILL include the off-road connection pipes to connect to your factory H-pipe...The connection pipes will come standard with the headers and will allow you to fit the headers to your factory H-pipe. It will require you to cut the front portion of your factory H-pipe off in order to clamp the connection pipes in place."

Does that sound right?
There is your answer. The company is stating that the factory H-pipe will need to be cut therefore allowing it to mate up with the headers. Will have to cut even shorter to allow for high flow cats if desired.
I would think you would be better off in the long run to buy a system designed to fit correctly without fabrication which I believe would mean replacing the H-pipe with an X-pipe designed to mate up with the headers, cats or no cats.
Just my .02$ thoughts.
Chas
Old 06-05-2016, 10:54 AM
bluemike28
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

From what I understand, you would need to cut out the portion of your H pipe that includes the cats, hence "off road" connectors. I just picked up a set of TSP headers as well and spent the extra coin to get the high flow catted X-pipe from them. It all bolts up directly in and will connect to your factory axle back with no cutting. They are going in now and should have the car back by Tuesday tuned and all.

Good luck with whatever you do decide on!
The following users liked this post:
DrRaySomeDay (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 12:24 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

The off road extensions allow you to use the factory H, yes. Best to make some markings (I used masking tape and marked lines with a sharpie) on the same spot on by both the H pipe and frame running alongside before removing anything. That way you don't have to try and make cut points with headers in place and nowhere to put front portion of H (or the rear, as once the H is out the cat back dangles).
Know what I mean?

Last edited by grantv; 06-05-2016 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DrRaySomeDay (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 04:32 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemike28
From what I understand, you would need to cut out the portion of your H pipe that includes the cats, hence "off road" connectors. I just picked up a set of TSP headers as well and spent the extra coin to get the high flow catted X-pipe from them. It all bolts up directly in and will connect to your factory axle back with no cutting. They are going in now and should have the car back by Tuesday tuned and all.

Good luck with whatever you do decide on!
Did you get a chance to hear the sound yet? Install easy?

Get notified of new replies

To TSP LT headers on stock H-pipe: Possible right?

Quick Reply: TSP LT headers on stock H-pipe: Possible right?