Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok...Who's ready for flared front fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 07:10 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I agree, there is always a line you cross at some point where a good thing turns not so good.
You're looking at an unfinished product. The C5 would have the potential to look as good as the Supervettes LLC car. Stick a pair of deep concave forgestar under the flares and it will be golden.

Pete, if you're reading this, maybe make flares in a couple of different dimensions. I would say 1", 1 1/2", and 2" inch extreme for those who have a wild imagination.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:47 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
Pete, if you're reading this, maybe make flares in a couple of different dimensions. I would say 1", 1 1/2", and 2" inch extreme for those who have a wild imagination.
Lol, yes I am reading it, however...the issue with that is cost. Trust me, it's not cheap to make a pair (especially if you guys want nice quality) let alone make 3 different versions. These basically have to pay for themselves or it's not worth it. A mold for a pair of fenders can be over $5K so at a couple hundred profit per set you'd have to sell quite a bit to just break even.

If I could get these made cheap, then yea, I'd have no problem making a few different versions. This is the exact reason I post these threads, I need to gauge what kind of interest there is for a certain part before diving in completely blind.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Definitely go quality over quantity! And despite what people are saying, there is no reason to make 2" flares that two people will buy, lol. I'd like to see quality 3/4" to 1" fronts that won't look out of place with aggressive rear fenders.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
Definitely go quality over quantity! And despite what people are saying, there is no reason to make 2" flares that two people will buy, lol. I'd like to see quality 3/4" to 1" fronts that won't look out of place with aggressive rear fenders.
yea but they already make 3/4 inch flares, if you were so interested in one you would of purchased it already , and you haven't

Its like asking him to make 2 inch rear flares....hes going to get very little business as everyones already making those

If he wants to make money he needs something new and different, and theres only one way to go which is bigger
Old 07-20-2016, 09:50 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Well, I mean the existing 3/4" flares aren't very good looking; otherwise I'd have already bought them. Are there others than the L5?

Those lose an entire body line behind the front wheel.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:51 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I had no idea that L5 made front fenders in a 1.25" width increase! These are perfect, and actually look much more subtle/blended than their own 3/4" versions! These are what you should shoot for, Pete!

I think those of you asking for fenders that are flared more than 1" or so are underestimating how much wheel/tire you can actually fit under the C5's OEM fenders to begin with. There are many people running a 10.5" front wheel fitted with 285mm tires without issues, and without the combo sticking out past the fenders.

Here is an 11" wide +53mm offset wheel with a fat 295mm tire on RC000E's car. All that was needed to fully cover the tire was modified C7Z fender extensions, and they are only about an inch wide...

Old 07-20-2016, 10:33 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Lol, yes I am reading it, however...the issue with that is cost. Trust me, it's not cheap to make a pair (especially if you guys want nice quality) let alone make 3 different versions. These basically have to pay for themselves or it's not worth it. A mold for a pair of fenders can be over $5K so at a couple hundred profit per set you'd have to sell quite a bit to just break even.

If I could get these made cheap, then yea, I'd have no problem making a few different versions. This is the exact reason I post these threads, I need to gauge what kind of interest there is for a certain part before diving in completely blind.
I'm suppose to go up to the track this weekend. I'll take some measurements and vids to help generate some ideas that will work for everyone.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:45 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,015 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I would be interested in some 1" C7 Z06 front fender extensions made for C5 fenders, like the ones RC000E modified. Maybe even with an integrated splash guard...
This should be a much less expensive option to manufacture, and on the retail side as well. Just my $.02
Old 07-20-2016, 12:49 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
yea but they already make 3/4 inch flares, if you were so interested in one you would of purchased it already , and you haven't

Its like asking him to make 2 inch rear flares....hes going to get very little business as everyones already making those

If he wants to make money he needs something new and different, and theres only one way to go which is bigger
Yeah, he already makes them and gets a ton of business. Not everyone wants to buy the current fronts, especially when you never know if you'll actually receive them from the current producer. I don't think there is a market for 2" front flares outside of yourself as there aren't many stance boys in the C5 world and you can already fit a lot of tire under the car, as mentioned.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:56 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
I would be interested in some 1" C7 Z06 front fender extensions made for C5 fenders, like the ones RC000E modified. Maybe even with an integrated splash guard...
This should be a much less expensive option to manufacture, and on the retail side as well. Just my $.02
This is the best suggestion since nobody currently makes them.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:16 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Yeah, he already makes them and gets a ton of business. Not everyone wants to buy the current fronts, especially when you never know if you'll actually receive them from the current producer. I don't think there is a market for 2" front flares outside of yourself as there aren't many stance boys in the C5 world and you can already fit a lot of tire under the car, as mentioned.
2 inches is extreme I agree, im just trying to make a point that we need something new and aggressive

Fabricating another run of the mill half inch flare is pointless, if that's what you want just go buy one that's already on the market...which for some reason you haven't done in the many years you've been here

A 1.25 inch front would hit the most market I think, its aggressive enough to make a difference and worth all the hassle involved with installation

And next time I see you up in the C6 section I expect to see you calling out all those "stance boys" on how silly their car looks
Attached Images    

Last edited by 1Willy1; 07-20-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:22 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
This is the best suggestion since nobody currently makes them.
the problem with those is they aren't actually a flare, they don't give you any extra clearance at all, they just add an extension on the stock fender.....it doesn't change the width of your wheel well at all, the stock fender is still in its original place and you need to fit your wheel accordingly.

To be honest, those flares on the C7 are no better then a stick on grill from pep boys, its purely for looks and has no real function
Old 07-20-2016, 07:49 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

2 inches is extreme I agree, im just trying to make a point that we need something new and aggressive

Fabricating another run of the mill half inch flare is pointless, if that's what you want just go buy one that's already on the market...which for some reason you haven't done in the many years you've been here

A 1.25 inch front would hit the most market I think, its aggressive enough to make a difference and worth all the hassle involved with installation

And next time I see you up in the C6 section I expect to see you calling out all those "stance boys" on how silly their car looks
Those cars aren't stanced. Also, have you ever seen a "Super wide body" C6 in person? I have and I still stand by what I said, subtle mods are where it's at, especially those that could be questioned by some as being factory.

Also, nice dig on me for not buying wide fenders "in the many years that I've been here". Please don't get me started on your car
Old 07-20-2016, 08:33 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Those cars aren't stanced. Also, have you ever seen a "Super wide body" C6 in person? I have and I still stand by what I said, subtle mods are where it's at, especially those that could be questioned by some as being factory.

Also, nice dig on me for not buying wide fenders "in the many years that I've been here". Please don't get me started on your car
I wasn't knocking your car, you've played it far too safe to even say anything about your car ....18/19 set up , stock on stock on stock with a mild cam.

I was just saying that if you were serious about wanting a 3/4 inch front flare you would of bought one already, as they are on the market and have been for years

But sure, feel free to "start" on my car........given how long yours has been for sale for , and still not sold...........it should make for an entertaining debate
Old 07-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

I wasn't knocking your car, you've played it far too safe to even say anything about your car ....18/19 set up , stock on stock on stock with a mild cam.

I was just saying that if you were serious about wanting a 3/4 inch front flare you would of bought one already, as they are on the market and have been for years

But sure, feel free to "start" on my car........given how long yours has been for sale for , and still not sold...........it should make for an entertaining debate
You were almost ok for the last few months, sad to see you've reverted back to your old ways of being a troll.

As far as the flares, if you must know, I was ready to pull the trigger on a front and rear set a few years back but they got REALLY pushy about wiring the money as quickly as possible. Gave me a bad vibe so I backed out. Turns out it was the right move after reading all the horror stories of the time along with the many since then. So yes, I am serious about wanting some but don't want to deal with that particular company for personal reasons. Excuse me for being excited for more options.

Also, lol about playing it "far to safe". I've had a big cam car in the past. I went too aggressive and I didn't want to make the same mistake again. The cam I have now is very drivable and makes great power. The car trapped 120 in the 1/4 and can cruise 45 in sixth gear without problem. Hate on it all you want since it's a usable cam and not some YouTube hero cam that gets a lot of views because it sounds raunchy. The rest of the car is modded to my tastes. I'm an OEM+ guy though, so sorry it's not aggressive enough for you.

As far as your car, I was referring to the way you cut away the shock boots to access your bump stops because you were too lazy to take off the shocks. Then you glued them back together Says a lot about how you approach things. As far as the rest of the car, I have nothing to say because you bought it as is, so none of it is your work, you only bought it because it was a perceived good deal.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:22 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

You were almost ok for the last few months, sad to see you've reverted back to your old ways of being a troll.

As far as the flares, if you must know, I was ready to pull the trigger on a front and rear set a few years back but they got REALLY pushy about wiring the money as quickly as possible. Gave me a bad vibe so I backed out. Turns out it was the right move after reading all the horror stories of the time along with the many since then. So yes, I am serious about wanting some but don't want to deal with that particular company for personal reasons. Excuse me for being excited for more options.

Also, lol about playing it "far to safe". I've had a big cam car in the past. I went too aggressive and I didn't want to make the same mistake again. The cam I have now is very drivable and makes great power. The car trapped 120 in the 1/4 and can cruise 45 in sixth gear without problem. Hate on it all you want since it's a usable cam and not some YouTube hero cam that gets a lot of views because it sounds raunchy. The rest of the car is modded to my tastes. I'm an OEM+ guy though, so sorry it's not aggressive enough for you.

As far as your car, I was referring to the way you cut away the shock boots to access your bump stops because you were too lazy to take off the shocks. Then you glued them back together Says a lot about how you approach things. As far as the rest of the car, I have nothing to say because you bought it as is, so none of it is your work, you only bought it because it was a perceived good deal.
lol man, I agree we were getting along fine for a while, but it was you who started taking shots again, not sure why

Anyways I wasn't knocking your car, your car is nice

With regards to the bump stops, one way or another those things were coming out, I have no remorse about it at all

Anyways Ill stay out of the thread now, until it gets back on track
Old 07-21-2016, 03:54 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I run a 1 inch front flare . I have 275x18 tires, but could
easily go to 285 and maybe more.
Would you consider 2 in. flare if the price of the mold was
right??
Keep up the good work.

The following users liked this post:
1Willy1 (07-22-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Ok...Who's ready for flared front fenders?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

....especially when you never know if you'll actually receive them from the current producer
....I still stand by what I said, subtle mods are where it's at, especially those that could be questioned by some as being factory...

I agree with both points. Nobody wants to make a purchase for $900-1,000 then worry when / if you're going to receive the goods. If there were somebody producing the 1.25" shown above that had a solid reputation for delivering quality product we would all have front and rear flares.
CorvetteBrent (05-20-2019)
Old 07-22-2016, 12:04 AM
Revolver ZSTi
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS

Here is an 11" wide +53mm offset wheel with a fat 295mm tire on RC000E's car. All that was needed to fully cover the tire was modified C7Z fender extensions, and they are only about an inch wide...

you will not be able to run wider than stock fender with that c7z extension mod, if your car is low enough and tires/wheel combo gets pass the stock fender that bigger tire/wheel has no where to go, once suspension fully compresses, good bye stock fenders....

unless your ride is height is high enough that when suspension fully compresses it wont ever hit the tire then that mod works i guess, other than that its simply " for looks "

btw c7z uses that extension mod for aerodynamic purpose not to fit wider tires hahahhha
1Willy1 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:58 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Revolver ZSTi
you will not be able to run wider than stock fender with that c7z extension mod, if your car is low enough and tires/wheel combo gets pass the stock fender that bigger tire/wheel has no where to go, once suspension fully compresses, good bye stock fenders....

unless your ride is height is high enough that when suspension fully compresses it wont ever hit the tire then that mod works i guess, other than that its simply " for looks "
There are so many SCCA, NASA, and OUSCC cars running wheel/tire combos past the front fenders that it isn't funny. Those cars are driven harder than any street car, and nobody is ripping their fenders off. I am guessing full compression is quite difficult. Either way, we aren't talking about having the tires stick out past the fenders like a lifted 4X4. Minimal poke is fine, as the top of the tires pull in when the suspension is compressed.

Oh noes! All of Danny's tires are sticking out a bit! His fenders!

btw c7z uses that extension mod for aerodynamic purpose not to fit wider tires hahahhha
WhoGAF? That isn't why RC000E wanted to use them. *derp* The only reason I showed RC000E's pics was to show that you can fit a very wide wheel and tire combo under the OEM fenders. Simple C7Z extensions covered his poke. I am not advocating adding Bushwhacker flares so people can run 13" wide wheels and 345mm tires without modding the fenders. I am a fan of keep tires flush or under the fenders. Just no need for ridiculous 2" front flares.
The following 2 users liked this post by FYRARMS:
Black 02 (07-23-2016), lewislgZ06 (07-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Ok...Who's ready for flared front fenders?