Sponsored by:

Type of Corvette owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:39 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

When I was three, my grandfather bought my grandmother a '58 brand new so Corvettes have been in my family for as long as I can remember. My 2002 Z06 is my fourth after owning three C3's and it is by far the best one so far. My wife and I are definitely not financially rich by any measure but comfortable enough to enjoy a few things at this stage of life. So I guess we enjoy a rich life together. I guess that makes me a solid #4 with some #2 added in.

Cancer has touched us through her family too many times and we are in the early stages of possible ovarian cancer with her. Tests are ongoing as we speak. Seems to be a theme here...

As for any #1's: It isn't the size of the pencil, its how you write your name.

Last edited by CaseyJones; 07-06-2016 at 09:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
phoneman91 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 09:41 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
To start this thread I must clarify "Type". The way I see it this is objective so feel free to add on to my list.
1. Rich guy with a little wee wee trying to compensate
2. Motor head who loves the power and feel of a Corvette especially mods.
3. Guy who likes the way they look more than its performance
4. Guy who always wanted a Corvette and finally has one!
5. Rich guy clueless for the most part mechanically and it's just a status symbol
6. Old man who never goes over 40mph brand new of course
We all go to car shows if time permits so we see the different types of Corvette owners out there.
I guess I am all 4.
1. I have traveled all over the world and most of the people
don't have a vette or any car. They are worried most about their
next meal. So, yes I am rich and so are all the lucky few that have
a vette and food to eat
1a. I maybe under endowed and the girls laugh and I laugh along
with them. It's not much but still enough.
2.I track my vette and I have standing within the vette community.
3.I am crazy for the C5 body, even if it needs a few improvements.
4.The C5 was not my first vette, the C1 was my first. I will always
have a Corvette.
5.I am pretty dumb when it comes to the electronics, and of course
vettes are status symbols. How many times have you heard someone
say; You must be rich to own a corvette.
6. I race my vette I have no need to show off on public roads.

Ok, Guys and Gals who own a Corvette are special people and
lucky. We all, really fit into one category..
We own a corvette.
the kid C6 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by friou
. . . but I just can't understand how we can successfully send a spacecraft to Jupiter, a 5 year journey through the hazards of space and we can't find a way to defeat renegade cells that cause cancer . . .
during our 34-month ordeal, we had doctors not answer questions (ironically during a QUESTION and ANSWER session), receptionists fail to relay critical information to the doctor for several days, multiple administrators botch her insurance forms, and non-Engrish speaking nurses prescribe medications from another patients' chart:
as my fiancee (prior to her diagnosis, always positive, cheerful and upbeat) laid in-bed one day, waiting for yet another procedure to begin, she turned to me and said "this isn't a disease . . . it's an industry . . . where would all of these incompetent people find employment if a cure was found?"

phoneman91, my thoughts are with you

back to the topic, I never cared-much for foreign cars, and despite being a 'sports car', back in the day the Corvette, with it's big-block power, still screamed "AMERICANA":
that's good-enough for me
phoneman91 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Psydef
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

#3 & #4 for me. My dad always had Corvettes while I was growing up so I caught the bug early. A couple of years ago I was finally in a position to purchase my first.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:07 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Glensgages
"this isn't a disease . . . it's an industry . . . where would all of these incompetent people find employment if a cure was found?"[/I][/B]
Some are incompetent but many are so dramatically overworked, under-trained, and under-paid that it is scary.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,052 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Seriously, not sure why a Corvette owner has to be categorized, seems we try and avoid that with the many out there who do that to us.
It's a hobby and some prefer different cars for different reasons. Most of us here share this common interest and we each enjoy it in our own way.

Last edited by Mike98SilVert; 07-06-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,052 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Some people like cars and driving them and some people see cars as a necessity and an appliance to get from point A to point B.

Last edited by Mike98SilVert; 07-06-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:54 PM
dylans
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

#4 here. Fell in love with the z06 in 2001 when I was 13. It became my dream car.

Did the 3rd gen Camaro thing for a while.

27 years old now, and my dream has finally come true! I snatched one up. We needed a second car and my wife said "buy what you want."

I wasted no time. It's a little surreal actually, I finally have one!

2002 z06 Millennium Yellow, 16800 miles.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:08 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

And she's a 'beaut, Dylan. Welcome to the club.
dylans (07-13-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 02:29 PM
ramm21
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glensgages
"this isn't a disease . . . it's an industry . . . where would all of these incompetent people find employment if a cure was found?"

Why are those people incompetent? Because we work in an industry that keeps on rolling because of money, like everything else in America?
Don't hate the player, hate the game. Sure, its totally different from the other side, when you have cancer and you have to wait days or weeks to be squeezed into oncology schedules, wait for labs, wait for insurance authorizations, etc...
From the workers perspective, we would love for healthcare to be about patients and actual medical care. But the reality is we live in a capitalist society, and the mighty dollar tops everything else.
phoneman91 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 02:33 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I just wanted something good on gas, but couldn't afford a new prius.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:52 PM
jess87
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
1. Rich guy with a little wee wee trying to compensate
2. Motor head who loves the power and feel of a Corvette especially mods.
3. Guy who likes the way they look more than its performance
4. Guy who always wanted a Corvette and finally has one!
5. Rich guy clueless for the most part mechanically and it's just a status symbol
6. Old man who never goes over 40mph brand new of course
I'd be mostly #4, then 3...except I'm a girl. I'm not too mechanically inclined, but I know more than most and am willing to learn more. And lucky me my husband shares the interest and probably is a #3/4 as well.

My beautiful new baby...

Old 07-06-2016, 06:57 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

"this isn't a disease . . . it's an industry . . . where would all of these incompetent people find employment if a cure was found?"
When cancer touched my family, most of the doctors and nurses were excellent. Cancer still won, but the care was as good as could be expected. It is an industry; the tv commercials for Cancer Centers and MD Anderson indicate that.

I liked road pilot's post. Yes, we do belong to a very special club, we Corvette owners.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:21 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

What type am I? None of the above. First career - vehicle design/development engineer for a couple of European auto companies. Second career, computing (note, not IT, but real computing). Owned a lot of interesting Euro vehicles back when including Jag and Lotus.

Bought my C5 new in '97 as it was the "winner" out of my 3 car shortlist to replace my modded 5.0 Mustang - the other two "finalists" were the Mitsu VR4 or the Toyota Supra Turbo. All about the same in performances stats. Really liked the idea of the VR4 - I had owned AWD in Europe and loved its all weather capabilities, but the Mitsu's price started getting jerked up until it was way more expensive that the other two. The Supra was tempting - performance plus Toyota reliability, but styling wise it was bland. So the C5 it was.

Still have that same car, not Toyota reliable by a long way, but still eye catching today and with enough performance that 19 years later it can more that hold its own. Mind you, a mint Supra Turbo these days is worth rather more than a mint C5.

Next car? Don't know. Not a C7 - I do not go for the styling at all. I like my cars rounded and sleek, not angular. Giving it a lot of thought lately, but no conclusions as yet. Meantime, I will probably will keep the C5 until it is grounded by lack of parts (EBCM anyone?). I regularly get tempted by restomods, Cobra replicas or even Superformance's GT40 replica - or a Viper. Honest cars all, with no electronics to go wrong.

Last edited by jackthelad; 07-06-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:58 PM
FL Skydiver
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never really liked Corvettes, always liked Camaros and Chevelles. Still not crazy about Corvettes, they are certainly not fast by todays standards. I would have rather had a Coyote engine Mustang even though I have always been a Chevy guy, just don't want to spend that much on a weekend car. I have a company car as a daily driver. The C5 is dirt cheap and a pretty good bang for the buck though. Maybe it will grow on me.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:09 AM
cherrypoppins
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love Cross Fire Injection

I'm not rich and I love the 1984 Corvette.

Last edited by cherrypoppins; 07-08-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm a 2 for sure, but a wanna be motor head (and a girl)....I let someone else work on my cars or it would be a disaster, but I'm learning, but I do a wicked detail. Always had C3's (my fave gen), but love the feel of the C5 much better. I just went to the dark side and bought a C6 Z06 (yellow) to add to the madness, it took a while to warm up to the headlights that don't flip up, but bought it for the performance, not the looks anyway.

So sorry for those who have lost loved ones and friends to cancer, as it has touched my life closely too. Lost my mom in 1992 of it at a young 63 yrs. old and then my dad about 5 yrs. ago, and my long time boyfriend 3 yrs. ago of a similar disease. The downhill slide is devastating, and makes you appreciate every minute of time to enjoy life. Since it runs in my family, I go to a board certified naturopath and stay away from all inflammatory foods, like wheat and sugar, and keep my immune system boosted sky high. I have friends who work with cancer patients, and it is tough on them, they are stuck in the bureaucracy because they need a paycheck, but no matter what they believe, the people I know are a caring group.

Meanwhile, my Corvettes and horses keep me sane in an insane world and I'm glad to be part of the special club!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:32 PM
MisterC
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seventy-five year old adrenalin junky and former Air Force aviator who wanted a Corvette from age 15 and got my first one at age 60. It's the one in my sig-pic.

Quick Reply: Type of Corvette owner