Sponsored by:

My DIY Carbon Fiber Console Lid

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:33 AM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default My DIY Carbon Fiber Console Lid

I think I should start with a disclaimer: I have been playing with DIY carbon fiber wrapping for a couple years and never really managed anything impressive. Now that I have a Vette, I decided to take my time and be a bit more serious with it. I plan on doing my DIY side skirts and a pair Z06 ducts and much of my interior in carbon fiber. I finished my first piece today-the console lid.

I used what I have picked up over the last couple years and this DIY post: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tte-parts.html

The fabric is around $30 for a 3ft x 3ft section. The resin is about $70 for a gallon (I just used the Bar Top Resin from Home Depot/ Lowes).

It can be a messy, time consuming process. But, if you like doing it, it feels like more of a fun hobby than a pain in the ***. Here's some pics:
Attached Images    
Old 07-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Beautiful! Nice work!
The following users liked this post:
DrRaySomeDay (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 12:17 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

what did you use to make the mold? And how did you cure it? You have use a oven or autoclave? Very nice work!! I was playing around with some prepreg cf myself but have been so busy I haven't really had the time to mess with it. Plus its hard for me to get my hands on a autoclave to use lol.

Last edited by zdeckich; 07-09-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:22 PM
not2old
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good. Did you wrap the fabric over the existing padding and vinyl or remove and use some other substrate/form?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:40 PM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Originally Posted by zdeckich
what did you use to make the mold? And how did you cure it? You have use a oven or autoclave? Very nice work!! I was playing around with some prepreg cf myself but have been so busy I haven't really had the time to mess with it. Plus its hard for me to get my hands on a autoclave to use lol.
I did not make a mold. I wrapped a layer of carbon fiber around the existing console lid. I applied a light layer of resin to the lid and let it dry to a sticky tack (4-5 hours). Then, starting at the middle, I laid the fabric down. I put a layer of resin over it and let it dry over night. I applied a second layer of resin the next day and let it dry completely. I sanded it down with 100-220-400-800-1000 grit sandpaper. I put another thinner layer of resin on it. I made sure to get all the bubbles out of this layer; some people say use a hair dryer, but I just get close to the surface and blow on it, the bubbles come right out. I let it dry completely. I put a last thin layer of resin on it and used the same method to get rid of the bubbles. It looks like wet glass without a clear coat, but I bought a 2k 2-part epoxy clear coat spray to use on.

I used straight plan 2x2 twill carbon fiber fabric, not prepreg. There was no vacuum bagging or oven curing. I let the first experiment dry in the garage and decided that was not a sound environment when I discovered 2 dead flies dried into one of my parts. So, I have turned my spare bathroom into a makeshift "drying room" so the part can air dry in a dust/bug free environment. The resin I use from Home Depot self-cures in room temperature air to a tack in 4-5 hours and is solid enough for a 2nd coat in 10-12 hours and probably solid enough by then to reinstall in the car, but I am waiting 24 hours just to be safe.

Last edited by DrRaySomeDay; 07-09-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:42 PM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Originally Posted by not2old
Looks good. Did you wrap the fabric over the existing padding and vinyl or remove and use some other substrate/form?
I wrapped the fabric over the padding and vinyl for the console lid. For the A-pillars I am working on, I pulled the vinyl and padding off. I couldn't think of a good alternative for the lid, so I experimented and got lucky! The console lid itself still has the same cushiony feel as it did without the carbon fiber on, which actually surprised me. I thought it would be more rigid but its not.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,285 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

That console kid looks really good. Be sure to post up pics of other pieces you do.
DrRaySomeDay (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 06:39 PM
C5RClone
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Me likee.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Sleezy E
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

top work!
Old 07-09-2016, 07:44 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by DrRaySomeDay
I did not make a mold. I wrapped a layer of carbon fiber around the existing console lid. I applied a light layer of resin to the lid and let it dry to a sticky tack (4-5 hours). Then, starting at the middle, I laid the fabric down. I put a layer of resin over it and let it dry over night. I applied a second layer of resin the next day and let it dry completely. I sanded it down with 100-220-400-800-1000 grit sandpaper. I put another thinner layer of resin on it. I made sure to get all the bubbles out of this layer; some people say use a hair dryer, but I just get close to the surface and blow on it, the bubbles come right out. I let it dry completely. I put a last thin layer of resin on it and used the same method to get rid of the bubbles. It looks like wet glass without a clear coat, but I bought a 2k 2-part epoxy clear coat spray to use on.

I used straight plan 2x2 twill carbon fiber fabric, not prepreg. There was no vacuum bagging or oven curing. I let the first experiment dry in the garage and decided that was not a sound environment when I discovered 2 dead flies dried into one of my parts. So, I have turned my spare bathroom into a makeshift "drying room" so the part can air dry in a dust/bug free environment. The resin I use from Home Depot self-cures in room temperature air to a tack in 4-5 hours and is solid enough for a 2nd coat in 10-12 hours and probably solid enough by then to reinstall in the car, but I am waiting 24 hours just to be safe.
Ok cool. Any pics of the underside of the lid?
Old 07-09-2016, 08:09 PM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Originally Posted by zdeckich
Ok cool. Any pics of the underside of the lid?
The underside is largely covered by a plastic panel you reattach except for roughly the outer inch of the lid. If one was so inclined, the epoxy resin on the underside could be built up and sanded as smooth as the glass-like topside, but I was not so inclined. I smoothed off the rough edges so I wouldn't feel sharp, bumpy edges but I stopped sanding it at around 400 grit. It should still gloss up nicely with the clear coat, but it won't have a wet, mirror like finish to it. If you show the car or are just more picky than I am, it would probably be another hour of sanding up to 1000 grit, then another 2 layers of resin, then another hour worth of sanding.

Long story short, I did not finish it to the quality of the top but will post pictures once I get the piece completed with the clear coats
Old 07-09-2016, 09:07 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Amazing work! I must ask, you went over the padded cover, used multiple coats of finish material and it remains flexible without cracking?
I want to do something with my radio bezel, but I don't want shine and wouldn't mind some texture. Is that possible?
Old 07-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,576 Likes on 663 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

That is super cool ! Well done!!
Old 07-09-2016, 09:41 PM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Originally Posted by chasboy
Amazing work! I must ask, you went over the padded cover, used multiple coats of finish material and it remains flexible without cracking?
I want to do something with my radio bezel, but I don't want shine and wouldn't mind some texture. Is that possible?
The cushion is still flexible. It has an initial coat of epoxy resin, the carbon fiber cloth, then 3 or 4 additional coats of epoxy resin. I test fitted it in my car and while driving it felt exactly like the vinyl padded console lid armrest I was use to. It surprised me. I can push down on different areas and it is spongy just like OEM.

As for the radio bezel...that is a nightmare. I have worked with CF and resins for a couple years on different DIY projects and that was the first part I attempted in the Vette. There are just so many curves and holes in it that it makes it an absolute nightmare to attempt. Over winter break (medical student = winter, spring and summer break = car time) I spend probably 4 hours a day for 5 days and 3x the necessary carbon fiber fabric to try and get it right. I said "f-it" and even though I'm broke and my wife would kill me, I bought a hydrographic dipped carbon fiber radio bezel for $300. I told my wife it's the real thing and she was proud of me for how good it turned out. Needless to say, I set the bar pretty high and have become a perfectionist for these other wrap jobs so she doesn't realize I dropped $300 without asking lol.

All the interior parts are DIY possible except the radio bezel. You will spend an equal amount of money (or close to it) on materials and the equivalent of a 40 hour workweek to MAYBE get it looking as good as a hydrographic part.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:51 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,042 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Great job!Turned out perfectly. Looking forward to a picture of it installed.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:19 AM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Originally Posted by chasboy
I thought about this, and if you DONT want shine and want some texture, you should give 3M's 1080p vinyl carbon fiber-like wrap a shot. It is matte finish, has awesome 3k 2x2 twill texture, and is infinitely easier that carbon cloth and resin to apply. I still think it would be REALLY tough to get the vinyl sheet to give you all the curves, bends and holes required from the radio bezel but its cheap enough to give it a shot. If I recall correctly, I tried the radio bezel once with 3k 1080 wrap from 3m with no success before trying 4k vinyl wrap from china. I was still not happy so I attempted real carbon fiber skinning multiple times before accepting defeat and going with the high gloss hydrographic.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:23 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Great Work! Yes you can use the 3m Dinoc for a more texture matte look

Get notified of new replies

To My DIY Carbon Fiber Console Lid

Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

I was referring to the dinoc as well. I pretty successfully wrapped the one in my Z with perf. Naugahyde and my heat gun. My wife helped me by adding a seam in the area near the ignition key. I think I'll be all right with the dinoc, but if not there's always something else. How about wrinkle finish paint?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:34 AM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

I'm not familiar with wrinkle finish paint, could you explain?
Old 07-12-2016, 10:21 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

here you go Ray. It's typically found on older Ferrari valve covers, etc.
http://www.eastwood.com/vht-high-tem...FQUmhgodkvIOkw

Last edited by chasboy; 07-12-2016 at 10:25 AM.
DrRaySomeDay (07-12-2016)

Quick Reply: My DIY Carbon Fiber Console Lid