Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a new Corvette 17 years after the fact

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 05:37 PM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Stole my wife's christmas present (6D MKII) and took some pictures in the snow.

The following 3 users liked this post by work_truck:
DeeP99 (12-12-2018), SKT (12-24-2017), StancyPants (01-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2017, 10:44 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Pix well taken!

The following users liked this post:
work_truck (12-26-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 08:51 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Looks just outstanding at that ride height. Here's the million dollar question: How much does it scrape and how much does it bother you? I'm trying to achieve a similar ride height.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:39 PM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nsogiba
Looks just outstanding at that ride height. Here's the million dollar question: How much does it scrape and how much does it bother you? I'm trying to achieve a similar ride height.
Thanks!

So far I’ve only scraped the front black spoiler that I’ve noticed. The spring rate is stiff enough that bumps don’t bottom the car out.

What I notice more often is the front wheels rubbing at lock, but that only seems to happen in parking lots. I haven’t noticed it at autox yet.

Now, does it bother me? Sort of. I hate thinking about having to replace things as they wear or break.

But! I bought a corvette, and specifically a low mileage car, so I could drive the **** out of it. There are a million more out there and it’s cheap to fix/replace parts. I set it up how I wanted and everything from there is yet the way she goes.

Ride height is almost exactly where I want it (from a looks cool perspective). I feel like the car is level but the rear wheel gap is uneven from the front.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:56 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by work_truck
M roadster is on my short list for my second toy as the corvette gets more and more uncomfortable

I've never owned a convertible and the M roadster is a super cheap way to get into the s54
As a once BMW afficiando, I learned that like exotic anything, it's one thing to afford to buy; quite another to afford to keep, IF parts are around. Know that I still have my '89 280k mile 735iL (the best car ever, from Bavaria) but have owned 5 others; the newer, the wor$t they got (2x 745s = junk). Having car-dreams turn to nightmares sucks.

With two Vettes, now, I'm smiling at the low cost, reliability, simplicity of self repair, etc. Comfort was restored to my Shinoda with new leather and foam, needing absolutely NO expensive, brand-specific computerized tool of questionable function.

Beware the 'greener grass'! (not wishing to be your wet blanket, at all)
Old 12-28-2017, 09:43 PM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whalepirot
As a once BMW afficiando, I learned that like exotic anything, it's one thing to afford to buy; quite another to afford to keep, IF parts are around. Know that I still have my '89 280k mile 735iL (the best car ever, from Bavaria) but have owned 5 others; the newer, the wor$t they got (2x 745s = junk). Having car-dreams turn to nightmares sucks.

With two Vettes, now, I'm smiling at the low cost, reliability, simplicity of self repair, etc. Comfort was restored to my Shinoda with new leather and foam, needing absolutely NO expensive, brand-specific computerized tool of questionable function.

Beware the 'greener grass'! (not wishing to be your wet blanket, at all)
Not at all! There are 2 sides to everything. I even shopped the cl600 before finding out a bank of coils is 1300$.The “exotics” come with their own “quirks” (aka hilarious unreliability and parts costs), but often at the reward of incredible engineering feats and cutting edge (at least for he time) technology. Everyone lists after Ferrari’s for their high reconvene v10+ motors or Lamborghinis for their styling and exhaust notes, But I’m not at the point in my life that my car budget can maintain its own engine out $10k+ service budget out of warranty.An engineer friend of mine always says that the corvette and LS platform in general is a polished turd, but in the most loving way.Sure the 2 valve push rod v8 was designed something like 70 years ago, but it’s lightweight, compact, and fuel efficient.Sure the body is made out of plastic to cut costs, but at a huge weight savings, and have you ever read Acura’s (Honda is known for their cutting edge tech and F1 integration) description for their plastics panels?
Originally Posted by Acura
Sheet Molding Compound Panels
Originally Posted by Acura
Used extensively in the construction of high-end exotic cars in key exterior componentry, sheet molding compound (SMC) is high-grade specialty glass-fiber reinforced polyester, its shape formed while heated under pressure within a compression molding. By utilizing special resins as well as high-strength fiber composite matting, NSX exterior design engineers have developed SMC material for specific applications on the vehicle's exterior.Specially engineered SMC material, for light weight and durability with high surface quality, has been created for use in the fender sections at all four corners. Designed to possess high structural rigidity, this unique SMC paneling optimizes the NSX overall center of gravity by minimizing weight at all four corners. The rear trunk skin is also made of lightweight SMC, with structural support provided by a stamped aluminum inner frame structure.A rigid, structural SMC material has been developed for use for the NSX trunk internal structure. This highly rigid construction allows the trunk structure to serve as a mounting point for the rear fenders and rear bumper for optimal accuracy and precise fit. An added benefit of the trunk compartment design is that it allows for easy removal when the vehicle is brought into an Acura dealer for service. After removing the rear fascia, the entire trunk structure can be removed for easy access to the engine room. This design also allows for easy replacement of the rear section should the NSX be involved in a rear-end collision.
Chevrolet even pioneered hydro forming in order to produce a cheap but incredibly effective chassis.
All in all for me, the corvette, while a childhood dream, just also turned out to be the most logical choice when choosing a sports car that I needed to work every time I went out to it.

Last edited by work_truck; 12-28-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:49 PM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Seats!!

Old 01-02-2018, 08:11 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Very nice, I like the additional padding.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

I need to get a garage heater. It's been way too cold lately, and I don't want to wait until spring time to get this done.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:02 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

If you have the means for it, a natural gas fired, ceiling hung Unit Heater controlled by a basic wall thermostat can be one of the absolute best tools in your garage.

Last edited by nsogiba; 01-10-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

hmmm

I was just going to buy a propane salamander.

but I do have a buried NG tank for my stove. I wonder how much more effort it would be to run a line to the garage. (home builders went to a lot of effort just for a gas range apparently).

If we weren't trying to move closer to work, I'd be putting in a minisplit. I'd really love to put an apartment in the loft over the garage (for in-laws) and the minisplit I think I could afford to run all year.

So I think I'll stick with this from amazon (because I'm a sucker for prime)

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-10-2018, 10:08 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Those are nice and effective but you will get sick of refilling/exchanging propane cylinders all the time. You'll at least be able to take that to your new house, though.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:17 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

I do have 220 service in the garage, however my electric bill (all electric and a big house) is enough to scare me away from that.

I only need to heat the first level of a 6-800sqft space, so I guess that will have to do for now.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 PM
FirstC4
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nsogiba
If you have the means for it, a natural gas fired, ceiling hung Unit Heater controlled by a basic wall thermostat can be one of the absolute best tools in your garage.
x2

I finally installed one in mine 3-4 years ago. I won't go without it again. Wonder why I waited so long in the first place
Old 01-13-2018, 06:06 PM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Got the stock seats and belts out, easy peasy.

New problem: since the seat is now so much lower, the stock belt receiver is way too long to safely route the belt through the lap hole.

New idea: rear Fbody belt receivers.

Have to also get some more bolts to attach the side mounts to the chassis mounts, but the seat belt is the main concern.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

My boss is actually bringing in a pair of f body buckles today, so I really lucked out there.

Of course it will only really be lucky if this actually works.

I got new button head bolts to mount the seat rails to the mounts, and I think I may drill some new holes, since I'm not 100% that the provided ones will work for me (on the car side mounts).
Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

cross posting this from the brake thread in tech:

Got this c6 knuckle with hub (!) for 79$ shipped on ebay. seems like a decent deal for something to use on mockups.

Next question will really be what calipers to shoot for.

My goal is OEM parts (chevy or otherwise).

Brembos are huge and cool, but what about something like these C7 z51 calipers for 575$?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C7-CORVETTE....c100226.m3208

I think I may start with the CTSV2 rotor ((since I'd really like that 15" (thats what she said)) and then work my way backwards.

This will be a slow going process, but when I saw a spindle with hub still installed I figured it would be a good place to start.

Current brakes are factory original other than SS lines and Motul, and they're pretty great for me so far.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a new Corvette 17 years after the fact

Old 01-16-2018, 01:10 PM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Just so everyone is aware, F body seat belt receptacles to not accept C5 belts.

It seems like the C5 is a unique part.

I may try and modify the factory belt receiver, or put a bolt through an extender.

but that seems like a shitty idea

Old 01-16-2018, 01:15 PM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

something like this would be perfect

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253263053976

and I went ahead and ordered it...

I'll cross my fingers I can get it to work.

Last edited by work_truck; 01-16-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:10 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

I ordered a 5" and 7" aluminum shifter. I really like the delrin one in it currently, but I would love for it to be a bit taller, so I think one of these should hit the spot.

7":

5":

I think the one I like I will plastidip (the old way, dipping into a can like a tool handle) so keep a better feel/grip. not much of a fan of metal ***** an anything but the most mild weather.

Quick Reply: Buying a new Corvette 17 years after the fact