Sponsored by:

4 seat equivalent to C5 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by K9Leader
I will weigh in not on the specific car recommendation but as someone who has been through the parent of young children thing (a while ago - mine are 28 and 25):

You want four doors!

Doing a car seat and a child in the "back" seat of the two-doors that have been mentioned would get old not after a while but the second time you have to do it. As they get a bit older you want them to be able to climb in on their own and get themselves situated - much harder to do with a two-door.

Much luck with the car hunt and with the future family.

K9Leader
If it's your only car........ yes four doors. If you just need a car that is capable of hauling the kids around once in a while, not so much.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:32 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
If it's your only car........ yes four doors. If you just need a car that is capable of hauling the kids around once in a while, not so much.
Agreed with JR-01, with a but...
OP; it depends on your exact situation. My wife always had a mini-van and me 3 series BMW's (for 17 years). When I was looking for a change we considered... do we ever take the girls (3 Y/O and a few months old at the time) in my 4 seat / 4 door BMW? The answer was no. The rest is history; 2 door cars added to list of options for my DD.
The OP isn't even married yet, doesn't have a kid yet. What does the wife drive? Can they work it with whatever she drives for the kid(s) and he just keeps the Corvette? We do...
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (01-07-2018)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:08 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Agreed with JR-01, with a but...
OP; it depends on your exact situation. My wife always had a mini-van and me 3 series BMW's (for 17 years). When I was looking for a change we considered... do we ever take the girls (3 Y/O and a few months old at the time) in my 4 seat / 4 door BMW? The answer was no. The rest is history; 2 door cars added to list of options for my DD.
The OP isn't even married yet, doesn't have a kid yet. What does the wife drive? Can they work it with whatever she drives for the kid(s) and he just keeps the Corvette? We do...
When me, my brother and sister were little kids my Dad had a two door '58 Ford Hardtop with a 352 police interceptor motor. My mom didn't drive. Back then there were no car seats or seat belts and we walked or rode our bikes when we wanted to go somewhere. so it worked out just fine. It's a different time now. They will have to figure out what works best for them.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:27 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by RoninC5
See below
Sharp 4 dr vette, how cool��

Last edited by 57gman; 07-23-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Eaglerulez
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks a ton for the suggestions, they've all really been great thus far.

Here's a few that have stuck with me, but I have listed my reservations on each one.

-997 911 I like this one just because it is probably the most comparable to the Corvette. The big thing for me would be rear seat usability though. Some people say they work just fine, even for adults, others say they are impossible. Maybe a convertible will help with the roominess.

-BMW M3 My friend used to have an E36 M3 and I really enjoyed driving in the car with him. That being said, I do have a silent hatred for BMW's and I'm not sure whether I would hate myself for owning one. (For reference there are just too many near where I live)

Cadillac CTS-V/Cadillac STS-V Both cars are really appealing to me...but every time I watch a review of them I get less excited about them for some reason. I'm honestly not a luxury sports kind of guy. I could care less about comfy seats, nice interior, etc. I kind of just want something that's badass, eye catching and fast. (This also goes for the M3). The other concern I have about these are how much they weigh...going from a 3200LB C5 to a 4,000lb Caddy makes for a different experience. That being said...a little bit of modding can always get things closer to the direction that I want.

Pontiac G8 I've always wanted one of these, and this is honestly the most logical contender in my mind from a price/performance perspective. There are only two things holding me back. 1) I kind of like the attention my Corvette gets. As weird as this sounds I have a job where I have to go to a lot of luxury hotels/fancy venues. I'm honestly just a regular joe...but it's nice not having the staff at these places give me the run around like they do my co-workers who have less nice cars. 2) It's built on the same platform as the 5th Gen Camaro. I used to own a 5th Gen Camaro but it doesn't hold a Candle to the Vette. To be 100% honest I can't stand getting into a Camaro after having just driven a Vette. This isn't to say that Camaros don't have a special place in my heart...just that I'm happy I am driving a Vette now.

If it makes any difference the wife to be has a fairly new (2015 I think) Camry. At some point we'd probably get an SUV, or crossover for the kiddos, I guess I'm just trying to cover myself for having to pick the kids up from school when the wife can't, etc.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 07-23-2016, 03:44 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglerulez
Hi everyone,

First off, thanks a ton for the suggestions, they've all really been great thus far.

Here's a few that have stuck with me, but I have listed my reservations on each one.

-997 911 I like this one just because it is probably the most comparable to the Corvette. The big thing for me would be rear seat usability though. Some people say they work just fine, even for adults, others say they are impossible. Maybe a convertible will help with the roominess.

-BMW M3 My friend used to have an E36 M3 and I really enjoyed driving in the car with him. That being said, I do have a silent hatred for BMW's and I'm not sure whether I would hate myself for owning one. (For reference there are just too many near where I live)

Cadillac CTS-V/Cadillac STS-V Both cars are really appealing to me...but every time I watch a review of them I get less excited about them for some reason. I'm honestly not a luxury sports kind of guy. I could care less about comfy seats, nice interior, etc. I kind of just want something that's badass, eye catching and fast. (This also goes for the M3). The other concern I have about these are how much they weigh...going from a 3200LB C5 to a 4,000lb Caddy makes for a different experience. That being said...a little bit of modding can always get things closer to the direction that I want.

Pontiac G8 I've always wanted one of these, and this is honestly the most logical contender in my mind from a price/performance perspective. There are only two things holding me back. 1) I kind of like the attention my Corvette gets. As weird as this sounds I have a job where I have to go to a lot of luxury hotels/fancy venues. I'm honestly just a regular joe...but it's nice not having the staff at these places give me the run around like they do my co-workers who have less nice cars. 2) It's built on the same platform as the 5th Gen Camaro. I used to own a 5th Gen Camaro but it doesn't hold a Candle to the Vette. To be 100% honest I can't stand getting into a Camaro after having just driven a Vette. This isn't to say that Camaros don't have a special place in my heart...just that I'm happy I am driving a Vette now.

If it makes any difference the wife to be has a fairly new (2015 I think) Camry. At some point we'd probably get an SUV, or crossover for the kiddos, I guess I'm just trying to cover myself for having to pick the kids up from school when the wife can't, etc.

Thanks again for all the help!
So why no consideration to a used Chevy SS?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by nvusgt
So why no consideration to a used Chevy SS?
It's basically an updated G8, which doesn't look as good as the G8, at least in my opinion. I don't see the draw to those cars personally, they are heavy and look like a big Malibu in a lot of ways. The interiors are nice, sort of, but still doesn't make up for the rest of it, especially at the $40k price point. I'd rather have a G8 and $20k cash over the SS.

Speaking of the G8, they are nice, but aren't really a comparable drive to the C5. I miss my old one sometimes, but not sure if I'd have another. The interior is a bit of a let down and the GT is only available as an automatic.

The C5 is a lot of car with good feel for the money, especially for what they sell for these days. The only other cars I can really think of that offer similar excitement and feel would be the M3 and 911. Beyond that, what's really available realistically at a sub $50k price point? Without going into exotics that are in the $100k+ range, I can't think of a whole lot.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:38 PM
VETTEC599
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 4 Doors

Originally Posted by a striper
While some hate the "boy racer" looks I loved every mile in my STI.
My wife and I (just the two of us) have a '04 STi that we've owned since it came off the transporter. Totally suited for winter driving in the snow country we live in. AWD doesn't leave us stranded. As soon as the snow is gone our C5 is detailed and driven. No plans to replace either.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:10 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Might be smaller than you like but the Cadillac ATS was the start of the Alpha platform that GM enlarged for the CTS and now uses for the Camaro.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:11 PM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEC599
My wife and I (just the two of us) have a '04 STi that we've owned since it came off the transporter. Totally suited for winter driving in the snow country we live in. AWD doesn't leave us stranded. As soon as the snow is gone our C5 is detailed and driven. No plans to replace either.

My wife bought a sliver one in November of '03. In January of '04 she bought the blue one and gave me the silver one as a "hand me down". A couple of friends snickered at them until they drove them. That resulted in two more sales for Subaru.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:15 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
It's basically an updated G8, which doesn't look as good as the G8, at least in my opinion. I don't see the draw to those cars personally, they are heavy and look like a big Malibu in a lot of ways. The interiors are nice, sort of, but still doesn't make up for the rest of it, especially at the $40k price point. I'd rather have a G8 and $20k cash over the SS.

Speaking of the G8, they are nice, but aren't really a comparable drive to the C5. I miss my old one sometimes, but not sure if I'd have another. The interior is a bit of a let down and the GT is only available as an automatic.

The C5 is a lot of car with good feel for the money, especially for what they sell for these days. The only other cars I can really think of that offer similar excitement and feel would be the M3 and 911. Beyond that, what's really available realistically at a sub $50k price point? Without going into exotics that are in the $100k+ range, I can't think of a whole lot.
I would rather have a g8 GXP over a new SS plus $20k cash personally
Old 07-24-2016, 01:49 AM
Nasbluec5
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You're asking a lot trying to maintain the sportiness of a 3200# corvette to a 4 door with the same mannerisms and *****.

That said you could look at some of the rice/German offerings.

Audi s4
Vw Gti 4 door
Mazdaspeed3
Ford Focus st

While a G8 GT is nice and I've driven one extensively (my dad has one) it's not nearly the same car. It's a great touring car, not a sports car. You feel that extra weight no matter what. Can't speak for the gxp, but they hold their value so well I'd rather look at a CTS-V

An Sti or evo x would be great if they didn't hold their value so well and get ragged out by all the kids.

Honestly there are a lot of options out there, but you're gonna have to make a compromise on something.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:21 AM
Aug Air
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 4 seat equivalent to C5 Corvette

Buick regal turbo GS. 4 door with good gas economy, nice ride, AWD, and some get up and go.

Last edited by Aug Air; 07-24-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:42 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

I will weigh in not on the specific car recommendation but as someone who has been through the parent of young children thing (a while ago - mine are 28 and 25):

You want four doors!

Doing a car seat and a child in the "back" seat of the two-doors that have been mentioned would get old not after a while but the second time you have to do it. As they get a bit older you want them to be able to climb in on their own and get themselves situated - much harder to do with a two-door.

K9Leader
So true! I love my daily driver, a four door truck
Old 07-24-2016, 10:55 AM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by RoninC5
See below
I once saw a Corvette limo

Last edited by The Rabbi; 07-24-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Aug Air
Buick regal turbo GS. 4 door with good gas economy, nice ride, AWD, and some get up and go.
And we continue to see who bought their corvette to only go in a straight line....
Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 PM
FirstC4
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I know their is an older thread but I want to share my experience as a new dad. As I did a lot of research and still ended up changing cars.

I thought I had the "fun family car" covered with the 6-speed AWD Mazdaspeed6. It was a great car until the baby came. While they are in a rear facing car seat, you want an SUV. Forgot any sedan or coupe until they get older.

I switched to a Trailblazer SS. It's not the most fun to drive (anything automatic is dull to me) but the LS2 still has great power despite the 4K+ curb weight. And it's sooo much easier to load/unload the baby and all their stuff. It was also the cheapest of the "sports car" SUV's

TBSS, GC SRT, ML63 AMG, FX50, Cayenne Turbo

Get notified of new replies

To 4 seat equivalent to C5 Corvette

Old 01-04-2018, 09:21 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

I was in the same spot in 2001. I wanted the then new 01 Z06, but with a kid on the way I bought a 96 Impala SS. It was a great car, modified LT1 pushing 400 hp, lowered, race suspension, big brakes, etc, etc. If I had to get another 4 door car I'd look into a 2011-2017 Caprice. Basically the same car as a G8 GT, but with heavy duty police suspension, police calibrated transmission and an LS engine. I've seen some with less than 2k miles go between $20k-$25k.

Steve
Old 01-04-2018, 09:31 PM
XmentalPilot
Drifting

Location: "Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You want four doors!

K9Leader
I second the 4 doors recommendation. I have owned an 06 GTO and a '11 CTS-V Coupe. I too was looking for sporty with a backseat...The backseat was impossibly useless. 4 door sport sedan is the way to go!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:59 PM
kobrak
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default CTS V wagon with the manaul 6sp

If you can find one. I've never driven one, but from everything I hear....it is awesome. AND.....shooting brake???? come on man!

Quick Reply: 4 seat equivalent to C5 Corvette