Sponsored by:

installed Viper Alarm Now Windows Roll Up VERRRY Slow

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 05:03 PM
97c5vette
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default installed Viper Alarm Now Windows Roll Up VERRRY Slow

I have a 1997 C5 6 Speed and just had a Viper 7944V installed.

I'm satisfied with the overall functioning of the alarm but after a few days I finally had to roll down my driver door window to pay a toll.

No problem with the roll down.
Trying to put the window back up is where the problem begins...

The window goes up very, very, very slow.
So, I tried the passenger window, same issue.

Went back to the dealer/installer and the guy is trying to convince me that the window motors are both going bad.
Very hard for me to believe both motors are now bad!

To start, I'm going to put a power probe III on it this weekend and see if the motor is bad but as I said, it's hard for me to believe.

Has anyone else had a problem with this?
A friend told me he thinks the alarm was installed incorrectly. duh!
May be a bad relay was used or something along those lines?

Please, I need help!
Thanks
Old 08-19-2016, 07:03 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Unless u had some sort of window roll up or down options connected I doubt the alarm has anything to do with it
Old 08-19-2016, 08:02 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

So it goes down fine, and up very slowly?

I would highly recommend putting a power probe on... I doubt both motors are going bad at the same time, it's probably that something is robbing the motors of power. Like there's a big fat power draw in parallel to the motor circuit, so it has a lot less available power to push the motor.

No sure where the viper alarm installs, what circuit it hangs off of, etc, but I'd look into it. If they put it on the same circuit and it has limited power available, that'd be your answer.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:47 AM
toxdoc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long ago car alarm installer here---

Alarms require, among other things, 12V switched power, 12V constant power, and a ground. One possibility is that your installer used Scotchlok type connectors ("wire taps") for one of these power or grounds. Power window wiring makes a tempting target for an installer because it is often large, easy to identify, and easy to tap into. Which is fine if the correct size wire tap is used. But if too small a size is used, it can really chew up that nice 12 gauge or whatever wire, and only leave a few strands of copper intact. This can really limit current, which might account for your problem.

Just one possibility. Good luck
Old 08-20-2016, 06:18 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by toxdoc
Long ago car alarm installer here---

Alarms require, among other things, 12V switched power, 12V constant power, and a ground. One possibility is that your installer used Scotchlok type connectors ("wire taps") for one of these power or grounds. Power window wiring makes a tempting target for an installer because it is often large, easy to identify, and easy to tap into. Which is fine if the correct size wire tap is used. But if too small a size is used, it can really chew up that nice 12 gauge or whatever wire, and only leave a few strands of copper intact. This can really limit current, which might account for your problem.

Just one possibility. Good luck
I enjoyed the informed reply, and learned a little bit.

I was going to kick around the installer, since the story seemed to point to the shop. it is hard to find good installer , and most learn by experience , only. Earn while you learn is only good for the shop., not the guy with a messed up install. And even then only if they don't repair the errors, since do overs kill, generally, any chance for profit.

The fact that the shop actually tried to tell you that both changes in window function were just a coincidence is a real steamer, and an insult to your intelligence.

While a display of anger will not further your cause, it is still a large problem , honesty seems not to be a valued customer service at this shop. Why do the work if you are just going to lie about the results and the value given to the customer.

If, in fact, the factory wiring is damaged, consider if this is the shop to repair window wiring in a corvette. They already have given you trouble with results on stuff they do regularly.

A friend had a little brother in a low rider car club, who installed radios in his back yard, sometimes for free because of errors, he wasn't a clever man. HE eventually got hired someplace and bounced around , until he joined the family tug boat business.

He did wire his 57 chevy so that a thief got shocked at the door handle, and did once get a crook stuck to his car and hollering in the middle of the night, couldn't let go.
Very illegal , with high penalties, something about setting a trap and danger. once he found his legal exposure, he changed that quickly. Not a clever guy, he could have been sued , for medical ( $$$$!!!! ) and legal claims. He did keep his car nice.

Get notified of new replies

To installed Viper Alarm Now Windows Roll Up VERRRY Slow

Quick Reply: installed Viper Alarm Now Windows Roll Up VERRRY Slow