Sponsored by:

TCI or Stock Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:03 PM
whitehillc5
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI or Stock Torque Converter

The transmission in my stock 1999 Corvette with A4 4L60E went out (the 3-4th clutch pack) and I am having it replaced. I figured I would get a new Torque Converter also. I did't do a lot of research when I started looking for a torque converter. All the sites I found had TCI torque converters so, I figured I would get a TCI. I ordered a TCI Sizzler Torque Converter from Corvette Central. I liked it because it was close to the stock stall ( I really don't want a really high stall). It said it is suppose to be 300-400 above stock stall and it was a good price. After I ordered the torque converter I found a post on this forum from a member called Mike Mercury. He said he did't want a high stall and his mechanic recommended a lockup GM converter with a slightly higher stall than stock. The GM torque converter part is #24208645. I found it listed on gmpartsdirect.com and it is listed as a refurbished torque converter for about the same price that I paid for the TCI. My question is should I return the TCI and get the GM torque converter? I am asking because I keep reading posts on this forum about TCI torque converters being crap and going bad very fast. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-22-2016, 01:17 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Lookup Pro-torque and Yank.
Originally Posted by whitehillc5
The transmission in my stock 1999 Corvette with A4 4L60E went out (the 3-4th clutch pack) and I am having it replaced. I figured I would get a new Torque Converter also. I did't do a lot of research when I started looking for a torque converter. All the sites I found had TCI torque converters so, I figured I would get a TCI. I ordered a TCI Sizzler Torque Converter from Corvette Central. I liked it because it was close to the stock stall ( I really don't want a really high stall). It said it is suppose to be 300-400 above stock stall and it was a good price. After I ordered the torque converter I found a post on this forum from a member called Mike Mercury. He said he did't want a high stall and his mechanic recommended a lockup GM converter with a slightly higher stall than stock. The GM torque converter part is #24208645. I found it listed on gmpartsdirect.com and it is listed as a refurbished torque converter for about the same price that I paid for the TCI. My question is should I return the TCI and get the GM torque converter? I am asking because I keep reading posts on this forum about TCI torque converters being crap and going bad very fast. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply: TCI or Stock Torque Converter