Sponsored by:

Interior paint for speaker grills

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:03 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Interior paint for speaker grills

I have a 98 with option light oak for interior. My drivers side grill has a lot of paint removed from it due to previous owner. Is there anywhere that sell the correct color of touch up paint or should I just remove and paint black??

Thanks for and response
Old 09-28-2016, 10:24 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I'd have to see what exactly light oak looks like again, and how much other black there is...
Have you considered a contrasting slightly darker finish? That's what I'd probably do if I couldn't find the factory color.
I'm also guessing it might be powder coated (which is actually what I'd do to refinish), as opposed to wet paint.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Amazing1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sirdano
I have a 98 with option light oak for interior. My drivers side grill has a lot of paint removed from it due to previous owner. Is there anywhere that sell the correct color of touch up paint or should I just remove and paint black??

Thanks for and response
I understand its been a few years since the OP asked this question but for all of those facing the same issue with a discolored speaker grill with a Light Oak interior, I have found a quick under $5 fix that looks great. I purchased a can of Rustoleum 2X spray can paint in the Satin Nutmeg color. I was able to do the entire speaker grill without taking the door panel off by doing some very simple masking off around the grill, then using a 1.5" brush I sprayed the paint onto another surface, dipped the brush continually into the paint and then simply brushed/dabbed onto the grill.

At first I just tried to cover the spots that looked awful and at first glance it looked like almost an exact color match, but since it was so easy, I just went ahead and decided to do the entire grill, and after two coats, I doubt anyone could even tell that there was ever any discoloration or rust or whatever it is that creates this fairly common problem.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:57 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Amazing1
I understand its been a few years since the OP asked this question but for all of those facing the same issue with a discolored speaker grill with a Light Oak interior, I have found a quick under $5 fix that looks great. I purchased a can of Rustoleum 2X spray can paint in the Satin Nutmeg color. I was able to do the entire speaker grill without taking the door panel off by doing some very simple masking off around the grill, then using a 1.5" brush I sprayed the paint onto another surface, dipped the brush continually into the paint and then simply brushed/dabbed onto the grill.

At first I just tried to cover the spots that looked awful and at first glance it looked like almost an exact color match, but since it was so easy, I just went ahead and decided to do the entire grill, and after two coats, I doubt anyone could even tell that there was ever any discoloration or rust or whatever it is that creates this fairly common problem.
Do you have a picture of the finished painted speaker grill? Is there a part number associated with the Rustoleum Satin
Nutmeg color?
The following users liked this post:
Edmund Iverson (08-18-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 07:09 PM
Amazing1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick369
Do you have a picture of the finished painted speaker grill? Is there a part number associated with the Rustoleum Satin
Nutmeg color?
There is no part number on the can. Bought at Walmart for under $5. Says Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint + Primer and the color is Satin Nutmeg. 12 oz can. I used a 1/.5 inch brush, using long strokes after taping around the grill itself. I sprayed the paint onto a plastic surface then dipped the brush continually into the paint "puddle". You may notice some of the small holes at first go away, but if you don't apply paint too thick, its really simple and looks close up just like the grill on the passenger side door even though that speaker grill is OEM (never painted). Two or three coats (especially on the damaged area) and it really truly looks almost perfect.

Speaker damage, i.e. rust? before I painted it.

after simple 10 minute process of brushing the speaker grill with paint brush
Old 08-20-2019, 07:43 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

That looks really good. My drives side speaker grill has some trash on it. Almost looks like someone spilled coffee on it. I tried to clean it. Looks a little better but still noticeable. I may have to try your procedure.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior paint for speaker grills

Quick Reply: Interior paint for speaker grills