Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Afraid of my wife's SUV

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:28 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

In Bob Lutz's column in Road & Track, he was commenting on Tesla. Based on his knowledge of the auto industry, which is quite extensive, he was commenting that on the present course Tesla is taking, he doesn't see them in business more than maybe just a couple of years. The electric car business still has a long way to go before it becomes mainstream in the public's mind. Many people still don't have confidence in them. As for me, nothing beats the sound a V-8 makes when it starts up.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:23 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

This thread is supposed to be about drag racing.

Last edited by robz; 10-15-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Germany outlawed internal combustion motors as of I think 2030--only 14 years away. That's within the possible life expectancy of a new car today! Every "brilliant" idea they do over there comes here too--this is real, and for keeps. Cheer up, we can up our compression to 13.5:1, wild cam, and switch to natural gas.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

The next firmware update for her car removes the factory limiting HP restriction which frees up another 40hp. I'll see what it will run at the strip when she goes out of town. lol
Old 02-17-2017, 01:23 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Currently only a select few can afford electric cars. And they are quick. I love the sound of gas internal combustion motors (not diesel), but am not blind to the fact that electric cars are coming full force. I'd think sooner than 10 years we'll see a huge increase.
Not with Obammy out of the White House and Trump in!
The following users liked this post:
ElisTwoCents (09-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2017, 03:30 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

What about long/extended trips? That is a lot of KW/H to draw from any given destination.

Congrats for being an early adopter though.

Last edited by Rob 02; 02-18-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:53 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

I will reiterate, if even 50% of all cars on the road today were fully electric, someone w/ knowledge on the subject tell me where/how all the power needed to charge these vehicles on a continuous basis will come from? (answer - there is no answer - not unless we start building more nuclear plants)

Ever wonder what LA/NY/Boston/Chicago/Dallas etc etc traffic would be like if/"when" ALL cars are electric & even 5% (I think that is being generous) dying in big city traffic due to lack of charge? This WILL occur.

Fully electric vehicles are a nifty carnival trick, but are not even close to being practical without a MASSIVE overhaul of our current power grid/transportation network. Hybrids? Now there's something that makes sense.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
I will reiterate, if even 50% of all cars on the road today were fully electric, someone w/ knowledge on the subject tell me where/how all the power needed to charge these vehicles on a continuous basis will come from? (answer - there is no answer - not unless we start building more nuclear plants)

Ever wonder what LA/NY/Boston/Chicago/Dallas etc etc traffic would be like if/"when" ALL cars are electric & even 5% (I think that is being generous) dying in big city traffic due to lack of charge? This WILL occur.

Fully electric vehicles are a nifty carnival trick, but are not even close to being practical without a MASSIVE overhaul of our current power grid/transportation network. Hybrids? Now there's something that makes sense.
like Rob said this is suppose to be about drag racing,. which makes your point VERY relevant .... the electric car is doomed and we racers will get into racing them because it wont be useful for anything else cool down time is just re-charging time

For the expense, and if your commute is not planned out right,. Its just nothing compared realiable transportation to what we have had for century now,. sure we got spoiled and all bells and whisttles as made the cars heavy and consume more fuel then we should ,. but electric is NOT the answer by any stretch of imagination..

Ofcourse no offense Rob your Wifes car is nice But it seems you like it even better (racing) then her

Last edited by Gxpz06; 02-22-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:34 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gxpz06
like Rob said this is suppose to be about drag racing,. which makes your point VERY relevant .... the electric car is doomed and we racers will get into racing them because it wont be useful for anything else cool down time is just re-charging time

For the expense, and if your commute is not planned out right,. Its just nothing compared realiable transportation to what we have had for century now,. sure we got spoiled and all bells and whisttles as made the cars heavy and consume more fuel then we should ,. but electric is NOT the answer by any stretch of imagination..

Ofcourse no offense Rob your Wifes car is nice But it seems you like it even better (racing) then her
She loves it for what she does. I have a hard time letting a 900+tq car go back and forth to work every day and not "stretch it's legs".

Last edited by robz; 02-25-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Mangina!
Old 03-19-2018, 11:56 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

So far:
her car 11.41
my car 11.51
Old 03-19-2018, 12:11 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

What's next, diesel pickups faster than C5s?
Old 03-19-2018, 12:16 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
If you spend enough money, yep
Old 03-19-2018, 12:28 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Ill take the sound of my procharged and cammed ls1 over 0 noise anyday of the week no matter how much of an *** whopping an electric car may give me.

This..

or this..

Old 03-20-2018, 12:05 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

your check engine light is on as well as ABS, I would get that checked before catastrophe
Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight01
your check engine light is on as well as ABS, I would get that checked before catastrophe
Its been on jackstands for awhile now
Old 03-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
Doubtful between the oil industry (OPEC & N. America) & our nation's unwillingness to seek nuclear power as our main source for powering our grid. This electric vehicle thing is such a ruse its really ridiculous. What do you think would happen to regional power grids if all of a sudden 50 million E-cars started getting plugged in every night?

But they're "greener" right? No emissions. Hmmm...where do you think most of the electricity comes from in the USA? Hydro power? Nope...only accounts for maybe 4-5% of all power generation. Those nifty solar/windmill farms? Nah, that's only about 4-5% too (oh, and lets not get into the environmental devastation required to open up enough space to get any significant generation by them).....about 70% of all US power is generated through burning of fossil fuels, and more than a 1/3 by coal alone.

Then there's the whole issue of not being able to recycle the batteries that power these E-cars - compared to a traditional lead acid car battery or a Ni-MH (nickel metal hybrid batteries) the LI batteries are much more complex, heavier, larger, way more difficult to recycle on mass scale (lead batteries are literally shredded up whole & the entire recycling process is 100% sustainable & all byproducts are put to use) & are not easily removed from vehicles as well. In addition LI battery composition can vary greatly between manufacturers - something that probably won't change as its tied directly to a vehicles designed use/performance etc. - in particular the materials used to make up the cathodes in the battery can be cobalt based (majority) or AL, or MN, or NI etc. These heavy metals cannot be easily mechanically separated either as they're sprayed like a powdery adhesive onto a metal foil (usually AL) - without getting into very boring details lets just say the only feasible/economical way to separate these heavy metals in a recycling setting is not good for the environment (in fact its VERY bad). Lastly, @ the end of the day regardless of whether its good or bad for the planet recycling is a business & if recycling a certain product is too difficult, costly, or generally unprofitable guess what? It won't happen on its own. So what does that mean? That the US govt will most likely force people (businesses) into ensuring these batteries are recycled in a safe manner more than likely resulting in increased costs to the auto manufacturer, and a likely coinciding subsidy to battery recyclers to help offset the bad business case of recycling them & give an incentive instead.

Guess who's pocket these subsidies & increased manufacturing costs come out of? You guessed it - US TAXPAYERS!!!

Think about all of this before you buy an E-car or as you claim your tesla tax credit bahahahhahaha

Hybrid vehicles? Hell yes we have something there, the batteries are smaller & can be standardized & since the vehicle has a tradiotional AL motor/tranny it still has the normal recycling incentives as part of its intrinsic value. Hybrid cars make sense on many many levels.

Lastly, I'll give you a little food for thought on AL bodied cars - again the sensible business case is similar to the hybrid idea & is GM's approach - use a combo of multiple materials to hedge your material costs/risk while also meeting the same end goal, lower weight better mpg. The little lie/missing piece of information on AL cars? Well Aluminum sheet is much MUCH more energy intensive/costly to produce vs. traditional high strength steel. I've read a number of articles analysing this trend & the proposed environmental benefits & the gist of it is this: despite an AL vehicles lower weight & supposed better mpg like the F-150, even taking that into consideration in order to offset the total additional carbon emissions generated during the production of the AL used to make the truck you would need to own it a minimum of 10.5 years averaging 15,000 miles/year.

Its a joke.
Really?

I just bet 100.000 on LIT ( a lithium ETF)

Every single auto manufacturer is betting on batteries, and lithium ion is the currently best way to go.

Last edited by Phanni; 03-20-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Afraid of my wife's SUV

Old 03-20-2018, 05:51 PM
DirtRoad
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
It might not be diesel, but this little old "farm truck" can lead most of us thru the 1/4 mile.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:53 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Model X P100D
Performance
The Quickest SUV
Tesla’s all-electric powertrain delivers unparalleled performance in all weather conditions, with Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive, instant responsiveness and the quickest acceleration of any SUV on the road—from zero to 60 mph in 2.9 seconds.
$140,000
Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Really?

I just bet 100.000 on LIT ( a lithium ETF)

Every single auto manufacturer is betting on batteries, and lithium ion is the currently best way to go.
You'd be better off investing in a certain Canadian-based penny stock that has succeeded in actually recycling nearly 100% of end of life lithium ion based batteries....

Seriously - I'm very confident in my knowledge of this topic & based on first hand experience related to both the manufacturing & recycling of automobiles & their components (got an allison tranny? i sold the AL to make it), they are pushing the EV's WAY WAY too hard & too early on a populace, power grid, manufacturing & recycling base that is not ready to fully adopt them. Period. (don't even get me started on autonomous vehicles....so we have multi-tiered lawsuits effecting millions of people involving freakin AIRBAGS & yet we're supposed to believe & have confidence in cars that drive themselves mmmmmkay)

I do think EV's have a place but either in controlled fleet/commercial/mass transit applications or, as other posters have pointed out, on race tracks (another controlled environment).

Some free investment advice....I truly hope you didn't put $100k into a lithium ETF - if so, & you have gains, ****** em up & back off that position, LI is relatively abundant & there are many producers all over the world & you'll find many manufacturers are either partnering or buying outright producers of LI - thereby easing the supply constraint concerns that likely drove the value of your ETF up.....you'd be better served putting into the companies that produce, distribute, refine & CONTROL base/precious metals & the indices their traded on for reasons I shouldn't have to point out, specifically nickel or esp. cobaly (both of which are also needed in these batteries)....take a gander @ Glencore for instance.....they literally hold an estimated 35% of the entire worlds CO for example....& if you check out their press releases/earnings calls etc. you'd find that even their CEO Ivan G., while happy to project his company's impending windfall from the surge in EV's, will point out that maybe we should kinda sorta think of something more fruitful to do w/ massive chunks of the world's elements that cannot be replaced rather than using them to make rolling appliances to cart us from A to B - & by their own estimates even on a conservative (realistic) adoption rate of EV's Glencore predicts their CO access would be depleted within 20 years, easily. Vale, BHP Billiton, are a couple others worth checking out....plus they pay dividends.

Mining, metals, smelting, manufacturing is my wheelhouse. I couldn't tell you squat about tech for example....other than it seems like FB may be in some hot water these days

Long live the internal combustion engine & V8's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
whalepirot (03-31-2018)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Afraid of my wife's SUV