Sponsored by:

[Z06] Afraid of my wife's SUV

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 08:32 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Afraid of my wife's SUV

Was planning on getting another c5z and keeping it near stock and running it drag strip on occasion maybe with a nitto drag radial or RR tire.
...Until my wife's Tesla Model X just arrived and I see how silly fast it is. I may be forced to modify or buy one with some mods.
Can't lose to the wifey. Lol

Popular Reply

10-03-2016, 10:27 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
this is just the beginning, wait 5 ....10 years, these electric cars are going to make you forget all about your little dinky v8's
Doubtful between the oil industry (OPEC & N. America) & our nation's unwillingness to seek nuclear power as our main source for powering our grid. This electric vehicle thing is such a ruse its really ridiculous. What do you think would happen to regional power grids if all of a sudden 50 million E-cars started getting plugged in every night?

But they're "greener" right? No emissions. Hmmm...where do you think most of the electricity comes from in the USA? Hydro power? Nope...only accounts for maybe 4-5% of all power generation. Those nifty solar/windmill farms? Nah, that's only about 4-5% too (oh, and lets not get into the environmental devastation required to open up enough space to get any significant generation by them).....about 70% of all US power is generated through burning of fossil fuels, and more than a 1/3 by coal alone.

Then there's the whole issue of not being able to recycle the batteries that power these E-cars - compared to a traditional lead acid car battery or a Ni-MH (nickel metal hybrid batteries) the LI batteries are much more complex, heavier, larger, way more difficult to recycle on mass scale (lead batteries are literally shredded up whole & the entire recycling process is 100% sustainable & all byproducts are put to use) & are not easily removed from vehicles as well. In addition LI battery composition can vary greatly between manufacturers - something that probably won't change as its tied directly to a vehicles designed use/performance etc. - in particular the materials used to make up the cathodes in the battery can be cobalt based (majority) or AL, or MN, or NI etc. These heavy metals cannot be easily mechanically separated either as they're sprayed like a powdery adhesive onto a metal foil (usually AL) - without getting into very boring details lets just say the only feasible/economical way to separate these heavy metals in a recycling setting is not good for the environment (in fact its VERY bad). Lastly, @ the end of the day regardless of whether its good or bad for the planet recycling is a business & if recycling a certain product is too difficult, costly, or generally unprofitable guess what? It won't happen on its own. So what does that mean? That the US govt will most likely force people (businesses) into ensuring these batteries are recycled in a safe manner more than likely resulting in increased costs to the auto manufacturer, and a likely coinciding subsidy to battery recyclers to help offset the bad business case of recycling them & give an incentive instead.

Guess who's pocket these subsidies & increased manufacturing costs come out of? You guessed it - US TAXPAYERS!!!

Think about all of this before you buy an E-car or as you claim your tesla tax credit bahahahhahaha

Hybrid vehicles? Hell yes we have something there, the batteries are smaller & can be standardized & since the vehicle has a tradiotional AL motor/tranny it still has the normal recycling incentives as part of its intrinsic value. Hybrid cars make sense on many many levels.

Lastly, I'll give you a little food for thought on AL bodied cars - again the sensible business case is similar to the hybrid idea & is GM's approach - use a combo of multiple materials to hedge your material costs/risk while also meeting the same end goal, lower weight better mpg. The little lie/missing piece of information on AL cars? Well Aluminum sheet is much MUCH more energy intensive/costly to produce vs. traditional high strength steel. I've read a number of articles analysing this trend & the proposed environmental benefits & the gist of it is this: despite an AL vehicles lower weight & supposed better mpg like the F-150, even taking that into consideration in order to offset the total additional carbon emissions generated during the production of the AL used to make the truck you would need to own it a minimum of 10.5 years averaging 15,000 miles/year.

Its a joke.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:58 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Lol.

Did your car sell yet?

Do you people really mod the Tesla's? Things are ridiculous from a dig already.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:18 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Still have my car but planning on selling. Its too dialed in to convert it back. Want to buy a c5z with low miles and minimal mods. Then her car shows up.

No need to modify the Model X . Im thinking it may squeak into the 10's stock.

Last edited by robz; 10-02-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:49 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Unplug wife's battery...
The following users liked this post:
ss4luck (02-18-2017)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

Eventually her car will run out of power and you will skip by !!!
Old 10-02-2016, 04:45 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

this is just the beginning, wait 5 ....10 years, these electric cars are going to make you forget all about your little dinky v8's
Old 10-02-2016, 05:20 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Currently only a select few can afford electric cars. And they are quick. I love the sound of gas internal combustion motors (not diesel), but am not blind to the fact that electric cars are coming full force. I'd think sooner than 10 years we'll see a huge increase.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:27 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
Doubtful between the oil industry (OPEC & N. America) & our nation's unwillingness to seek nuclear power as our main source for powering our grid. This electric vehicle thing is such a ruse its really ridiculous. What do you think would happen to regional power grids if all of a sudden 50 million E-cars started getting plugged in every night?

But they're "greener" right? No emissions. Hmmm...where do you think most of the electricity comes from in the USA? Hydro power? Nope...only accounts for maybe 4-5% of all power generation. Those nifty solar/windmill farms? Nah, that's only about 4-5% too (oh, and lets not get into the environmental devastation required to open up enough space to get any significant generation by them).....about 70% of all US power is generated through burning of fossil fuels, and more than a 1/3 by coal alone.

Then there's the whole issue of not being able to recycle the batteries that power these E-cars - compared to a traditional lead acid car battery or a Ni-MH (nickel metal hybrid batteries) the LI batteries are much more complex, heavier, larger, way more difficult to recycle on mass scale (lead batteries are literally shredded up whole & the entire recycling process is 100% sustainable & all byproducts are put to use) & are not easily removed from vehicles as well. In addition LI battery composition can vary greatly between manufacturers - something that probably won't change as its tied directly to a vehicles designed use/performance etc. - in particular the materials used to make up the cathodes in the battery can be cobalt based (majority) or AL, or MN, or NI etc. These heavy metals cannot be easily mechanically separated either as they're sprayed like a powdery adhesive onto a metal foil (usually AL) - without getting into very boring details lets just say the only feasible/economical way to separate these heavy metals in a recycling setting is not good for the environment (in fact its VERY bad). Lastly, @ the end of the day regardless of whether its good or bad for the planet recycling is a business & if recycling a certain product is too difficult, costly, or generally unprofitable guess what? It won't happen on its own. So what does that mean? That the US govt will most likely force people (businesses) into ensuring these batteries are recycled in a safe manner more than likely resulting in increased costs to the auto manufacturer, and a likely coinciding subsidy to battery recyclers to help offset the bad business case of recycling them & give an incentive instead.

Guess who's pocket these subsidies & increased manufacturing costs come out of? You guessed it - US TAXPAYERS!!!

Think about all of this before you buy an E-car or as you claim your tesla tax credit bahahahhahaha

Hybrid vehicles? Hell yes we have something there, the batteries are smaller & can be standardized & since the vehicle has a tradiotional AL motor/tranny it still has the normal recycling incentives as part of its intrinsic value. Hybrid cars make sense on many many levels.

Lastly, I'll give you a little food for thought on AL bodied cars - again the sensible business case is similar to the hybrid idea & is GM's approach - use a combo of multiple materials to hedge your material costs/risk while also meeting the same end goal, lower weight better mpg. The little lie/missing piece of information on AL cars? Well Aluminum sheet is much MUCH more energy intensive/costly to produce vs. traditional high strength steel. I've read a number of articles analysing this trend & the proposed environmental benefits & the gist of it is this: despite an AL vehicles lower weight & supposed better mpg like the F-150, even taking that into consideration in order to offset the total additional carbon emissions generated during the production of the AL used to make the truck you would need to own it a minimum of 10.5 years averaging 15,000 miles/year.

Its a joke.
The following 7 users liked this post by C5Dobie:
C52002Vert (03-28-2018), dhpeck (10-24-2016), ElisTwoCents (09-18-2018), fredkayaker (02-28-2017), imjdoggie (10-05-2016), Principal Lewis (03-20-2018), usgecko (03-19-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

when you can get 3-400 miles on a 5 min charge.. sign me up. until then, I'll fill up and be on my way.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dave02C5:
DonsC5 (09-18-2018), ElisTwoCents (09-18-2018), ENV MN (10-17-2016), RoninC5 (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 02:16 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

I'd like to do enough just to edge her out on the strip. I'll have to drag her car to the track, without her knowing, and see what it runs. But from what I can tell so far it's going to take a 10 second pass. I'm going to need some of the right bolt ons and a drag radial.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:10 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on the Model X robz.

Ours is a P85D with Ludicrous and we have a reservation for the Model 3.

Your wife is going to love it, and you will too because she won't have to put a drop of gas into it and she can get up each day and go about her business never having to stop for gas.
ArmchairArchitect (02-22-2017)
Old 10-06-2016, 07:45 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

get a miata, you'll feel better.

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 10-06-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:03 PM
RoninC5
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Well for 90K, get 4 and a C5 for fun
Old 10-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

or 2 C6Z's
Old 10-07-2016, 05:07 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Keep racing her back to back. I have heard they lose quickness as the battery drains from full.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:18 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

I prefer a c5z.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:24 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

The tesla is a dream to drive and perfect for her and the kids. Just can't have her grocery getter faster than my vette. And did someone say 90k? I wish.

Get notified of new replies

To Afraid of my wife's SUV

Old 10-12-2016, 06:16 AM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by robz
I'd like to do enough just to edge her out on the strip. I'll have to drag her car to the track, without her knowing, and see what it runs. But from what I can tell so far it's going to take a 10 second pass. I'm going to need some of the right bolt ons and a drag radial.
it may feel like it from a dig but dropps off to 12s/11 second pass or so I hear... fast yes But so are Hyabusas ... dont stress I dont see 1 speed electrics replacing clutch launched v8s

just swap out engine on 9 second z and go for an 8 second pass
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gxpz06
it may feel like it from a dig but dropps off to 12s/11 second pass or so I hear... fast yes But so are Hyabusas ... dont stress I dont see 1 speed electrics replacing clutch launched v8s

just swap out engine on 9 second z and go for an 8 second pass :l2urk:
If she lets me Ill take a pass. I bet its capable of 10.99@122 with the 20" stock tires/rims. She has a p100d.
And maybe if she wants to race, Ill tow my vette to Atco with her truck to drain down her battery lol.
Gxpz06 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by robz
If she lets me Ill take a pass. I bet its capable of 10.99@122 with the 20" stock tires/rims. She has a p100d.
And maybe if she wants to race, Ill tow my vette to Atco with her truck to drain down her battery lol.
then after the 10.99 you'll run 11.0 next time out then 10.99 and then anyOne at the track can take it and run it within hundreds of best pass...

that's where clutch traditional car is completely different... you can go out and get used to it and get time down and down.... and if a buddy grabs your car first pass (unless as a similar car) would be half to full second from your time...

thats what I meant not bashing the car whatso ever

Quick Reply: [Z06] Afraid of my wife's SUV