Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Vararam or not? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 12:12 AM
00__Vette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default To Vararam or not? That is the question.

Got a bone stock 03' Z06 that I just purchased. I've got a hurst shifter in the mail and just found a VR intake for $250 shipped. From the bit of searching I have done, the VR seems to be the intake of choice still, but I e read it's it's a nightmare to install.

So so before I drop $250 smackers, any other recommendations and is this a good price?

many thanks!
Old 10-07-2016, 01:01 AM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

$250 for just the Vararam? I bought a lightly used Vararam and power duct for $200 from the C5 Parts for sale section. Install is definitely a pain in the ***, especially for a CAI. Cool though, when you have everything in. If you're willing to get your hands dirty and get the rpm's above 4k from time to time (sorry bow tie guy. ), it's definitely worth it.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:20 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Vararam, no. Callaway Honker, YES!
Old 10-07-2016, 01:48 AM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I mistakenly ran through water that came over my hood and was glad I had a stock air cleaner. Read stories of motors getting hydrlocked from water.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:09 AM
20vette0107fatboy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes worth it. You will feel more throttle respond then anything. It also helps the motor breath more.
The following users liked this post:
00__Vette (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 AM
RVETTE42
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Vararam intake and a ECS mail in tune! Just stay away from high water.
DOUG @ ECS (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 08:59 AM
RVETTE42
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexde1
I mistakenly ran through water that came over my hood and was glad I had a stock air cleaner. Read stories of motors getting hydrlocked from water.
Wow if you ran through water that deep you are very lucky your car still runs and has no electrical gremlins.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:58 AM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
if you search "Flow Bench" you may come across a thread by a guy that used a flow bench to see of if common aftermarket intakes added usable CFM through the restriction known as the MAF

Some good reading, and a lot of regurgitated hype too. my stock Car with a fresh element seems to meet my expectations

So unless you're going to run the car ***** to walls, and often I really see no need on a dai ly driver but then again I shift my M6 car @ 3500-4000 rpm my cars never see Redline
no need, by the time I'm in third I'm backing off
Yeah, I plan ultimately to have a lot of drag strip time with this car. I want to keep it steerable, but primary use will be at the drag strip, so I imagine it'll see a lot of time over 4000rms.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do a search for bench flow or CFM flow restrictions.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:59 AM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by TorchRedLS6
$250 for just the Vararam? I bought a lightly used Vararam and power duct for $200 from the C5 Parts for sale section. Install is definitely a pain in the ***, especially for a CAI. Cool though, when you have everything in. If you're willing to get your hands dirty and get the rpm's above 4k from time to time (sorry bow tie guy. ), it's definitely worth it.
Yeah, I plan on seeing quite a bit of drag strip time. Right now since it's bone stock, it'll see more street time.. but as I get to modify it more heavily.. it'll switch to see more strip time.

How long did it take you to install? Did you have to remove the front facia/bumper?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:00 AM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by striper
Vararam, no. Callaway Honker, YES!
Thanks for the input, can you elaborate please? I read the Honker is second to the VR.

thanks
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 AM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Rexde1
I won't be taking my car out in the rain unless I get stuck in a freak storm. That don't mean I couldn't end up in an unexpected situation, but if rain is in the forecast.. the Z will be cozy and warm in the garage.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:03 AM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by RVETTE42
Vararam intake and a ECS mail in tune! Just stay away from high water.
I figured I'd get it tuned after I got some LT headers. Do you recommend I get it tuned immediately following intake install? And if so, why do you recommend this?

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Christian327
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 00__Vette
Thanks for the input, can you elaborate please? I read the Honker is second to the VR.

thanks
Between the two, I chose the honker. Based of fit/finish and many proven results on the forum (The vararam is also a good choice though but do your research before buying either).I got it NIB on the for sale section for 350...Excited to be installing it this weekend! Will report you back with sotp results if you want.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:09 AM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Christian327
Between the two, I chose the honker. Based of fit/finish and many proven results on the forum (The vararam is also a good choice though but do your research before buying either).I got it NIB on the for sale section for 350...Excited to be installing it this weekend! Will report you back with sotp results if you want.
Heck yeah! Please do.

As you can obviously tell, I have done some research and searched the forums.. but I want to be sure before I make my purchase. I'm planning on lots of drag strip time, so I want to get the best bang for my buck.

I had a 2000 C5 and because I failed to do proper research for a clutch (after many other mods), I went through 2 before finally settling on a 3rd which was a McCleod twin disc. That was a lot of wasted money.. I don't want to waste money on this build.

Thanks again for you input.. I greatly appreciate it and good luck on your install this weekend.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:10 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by 00__Vette
I figured I'd get it tuned after I got some LT headers. Do you recommend I get it tuned immediately following intake install? And if so, why do you recommend this?

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

The Vararam causes the most change to the MAF settings, which is why it needs to be tuned more than other cold air intakes.

Simply put, the more it needs to be tuned, the better the intake works.

The inlet ducts of the Vararam are above the door sill, so if you take in water you're already above the level of the door in water. I understand things can happen, but I don't understand how that can accidentally happen.

BTW, I have a used Vararam take out here in fair shape that can go for $100 if anyone is interested. PM me
Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 AM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
The Vararam causes the most change to the MAF settings, which is why it needs to be tuned more than other cold air intakes.

The inlet ducts of the Vararam are above the door sill, so if you take in water you're already above the level of the door in water. I understand things can happen, but I don't understand how that can accidentally happen.

BTW, I have a used Vararam take out here in fair shape that can go for $100 if anyone is interested. PM me
PM sent!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:14 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I have personally ran all of them.... VR2,Calloway,Halltech.... the VR is a pain in the *** to install.... the Calloway is somewhat easier other than cutting your factory shrowd. The Honker is hands down the better choice over the VR... For me, the Halltech has served me well. But then again my car is built and needs the air up top which the Halltech provides.

66dts-v (10-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To To Vararam or not? That is the question.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:16 AM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

In your experience (as I'm sure you have a lot) what would it cost me for a good tune?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:19 AM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
I have personally ran all of them.... VR2,Calloway,Halltech.... the VR is a pain in the *** to install.... the Calloway is somewhat easier other than cutting your factory shrowd. The Honker is hands down the better choice over the VR... For me, the Halltech has served me well. But then again my car is built and needs the air up top which the Halltech provides.

Damn, that looks awesome!! Such a sweet looking car man. How much power you putting to the ground? I'm pretty much looking for a similar setup as you.

End game is H/C/I with wet nitrous setup aiming for consistent low 10's to high 9's on a 6spd. I had high 10's in my old C5 Coupe with C/I and 175 shot of nitrous.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:27 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06

You made an excellent point, nice car too!

The Vararam does become restrictive on high HP builds, but for a bolt on or cammed C5 they work great.

Quick Reply: To Vararam or not? That is the question.