Sponsored by:

How much do you think to paint door and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 04:38 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Default How much do you think to paint door and bumper

Just wondering what you guys think as far as cost. The passenger side door has a scratch 3/4 length of the door. Its deep into the clear coat I can feel it with my nail. I decided to move the car in the garage with a 55 gallon drum of meth next to it. I may or may not had a few shots..

Now the rear bumper has two 5-6" key marks and you can see its deep into the fiberglass also the bottom is painted gloss black

Car isn't running or I would get an estimate but I was just curious what would be the ball park for these to get fixed.

I can get a rear bumper cover with the bottom already painted black in great condition which includes tail lights, third brake light and backup lights( I dont need any of those 3 I so I will sell them) for $410.00 to my door and it's my paint code.

I can get the whole driver side door including the glass, motor, regulator & latches and it's my paint code..Cost to my door $425.00

both pieces shipped and already painted=$835.00

What do you guys think?
Old 10-16-2016, 06:25 PM
dgree03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience, you can expect to pay at least $750 to clear and paint any panel on your car. Repairs would be above that.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:41 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Just had my rear bumper replaced - total was ~$1700.

$700 for parts including new bumper cover.
$1000 in labor and paint. Mine was a 3 part metallic paint so I believe it was a little more expensive because of that.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

used parts it is. That's what i figured
Old 10-16-2016, 07:26 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

go with used parts because you will never get that metallic paint matched properly
Old 10-16-2016, 07:40 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
go with used parts because you will never get that metallic paint matched properly
yeah someone else said the same thing to me at work.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:16 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Funnily enough I was faced with the same decision last week, also with a 18" long scrape (malicious though) on the passenger door. I bought a used door in exactly the same color (pewter) in the hope that the match would be better than having it sprayed. I've only seen it under florescents so far, but the match is not so good. Seems there are different shades, or possibly sun bleaching, of pewter. Also less deep clearcoat gives a different reflection. Just thinking about my options now...
Old 10-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I had to have my hatch done. Fixed a couple of spots, matched and blended the paint and clear coated. $375. For that price, I was impressed. Btw, it's pewter also.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:27 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carl Timonen
A couple of weeks ago I had to have my hatch done. Fixed a couple of spots, matched and blended the paint and clear coated. $375. For that price, I was impressed. Btw, it's pewter also.
Just that little area around the glass?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:27 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Timonen
How's the match? I was quoted $300 for the door panel.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:44 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

I had a door, fender, and front fascia painted under someone else's insurance money some time back and the most expensive panel I had to have done was the door. For a full color change it ran around $750 which echoes a post above. Fender and front fascia was not far below that but they didn't require color changes.

Mine was also Nassau Blue Metallic. I know a lot of people like to say metallics are difficult to match up, but the shop I took mine to did an absolute hell of a job on it. I made sure to take it out in the brightest of sun and shine various lights on the panels and the blend work and you literally cannot tell by the paint work there was ever an issue. They were able to match up the depth of the metallic and the subtile color changing quality of Nassau Blue is still present on the repainted panels. They didn't paint the mirror or passenger handle to use as a guide. Modern paint work is really great; near magical. It probably helped that my car has been garaged stored so there was little to no noticeable paint fade.

For sure though you want to take it to someone who knows what they're doing. I shopped heavily and finally found someone that was trained by GM back when C5s were new to work the dealer networks. Seemed pretty excited to get a chance to work on the car and commented he hadn't seen a Nassau Blue car in some time.

The only potentially concerning issue with buying a used panel is you're not sure exactly how the panel has been stored nor the exact status of the car it came off of. A panel that came off of a 20,000 mile car does no good if the car itself or the panel were stored in the elements. In all likelihood though I would assume a good parts re-seller on body panels would know to properly store them in an inventoried enclosure.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:47 PM
Daypoblue
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

As long as they are "blending" the paint, it should match fine.
All they are really doing is adding a little new cold to the fender and quarter panel and clearing all of it.
If they know what they are doing, It will match. Remember... You get what you pay for.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Just that little area around the glass?

Yes. One shop wanted $500. Another wouldn't even touch it since it's a corvette.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Originally Posted by AndyDove
How's the match? I was quoted $300 for the door panel.

I looked it over pretty good outside in the sunlight and it looked great to me. Also got to figure for a 17 yr old paint job, it took them several test sprays to get it.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:58 AM
SMT1004
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Had a drivers door scratch repaired and front bumber respray done, with blending cost was $1600. Paint color is 100% match, I went around to different speed shops asking who they go to for paint work. Top quote $5000 by high end classic car restorer, picked second recommendation and couldn't be happier. Ask any potential shop if they remove the mirror, molding, paint the bumper on or off the car, will show if they know what there doing. Mine actually looks better than when I purchased it two years ago. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:13 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I had a front bumper tear, my fault and did the repair myself. About $100. in materials and about 15 hours work(bonding, sanding, priming and painting and many coats of clear.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by runner140*
I had a front bumper tear, my fault and did the repair myself. About $100. in materials and about 15 hours work(bonding, sanding, priming and painting and many coats of clear.
I thought about doing that but then reminded myself I cant even color in between the lines let alone try to spray a sports car. I am gonna spray some of my extra panels with plastidip. I made a thread on that some of the colors are bad ***..Its cheap too and if i mess it up i can peel it off.

Last edited by Chicago1; 10-18-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How much do you think to paint door and bumper

Quick Reply: How much do you think to paint door and bumper