Sponsored by:

* She gave her life for me. 12 yrs later put her to rest *

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:23 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Insurance Question -

Guys, thanks for being there... Your support has a positive emotional and psychological affect. I was a member on this forum before I bought the car....and still am. So Thanks again!!

Now, the reality is I have to deal with the Insurance. Here's the scenario, please tell me what my options are -
1. Truck on my right hit me, pushing my car (left) and over the edge into on coming traffic. Technically, he created this mess. But I have no info on him because he was across the traffic on the south bound, while I was stuck in the north bound traffic
2. My car went into oncoming traffic hitting 2 other vehicles, so I guess they would consider me "at fault."
3. Who do I go after? I don't even have medical insurance, so I'm paying out of pocket - not sure who will reimburse me (if at all).
4. I could hire a lawyer, but I don't see many options for myself.

And yes, I do Thank God for giving me another life...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 10-24-2016 at 05:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1MRTYME (11-05-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 07:33 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Guys, thanks for being there... Your support has a positive emotional and psychological affect. I was a member on this forum before I bought the car....and still am. So Thanks again!!

Now, the reality is I have to deal with the Insurance. Here's the scenario, please tell me what my options are -
1. Truck on my right hit me, pushing my car (left) and over the edge into on coming traffic. Technically, he created this mess. But I have no info on him because he was across the traffic on the south bound, while I was stuck in the north bound traffic
2. My car went into oncoming traffic hitting 2 other vehicles, so I guess they would consider me "at fault."
3. Who do I go after? I don't even have medical insurance, so I'm paying out of pocket - not sure who will reimburse me (if at all).
4. I could hire a lawyer, but I don't see many options for myself.

And yes, I do Thank God for giving me another life...
You don't go after anybody. Your insurance company does. That's what you pay them for. The accident report will show who was at fault. Your medical expenses will also be covered by the at fault driver's insurance. You did get a copy of the report didn't you? What has your insurance company told you so far?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:00 AM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by norcalace
You don't go after anybody. Your insurance company does. That's what you pay them for. The accident report will show who was at fault. Your medical expenses will also be covered by the at fault driver's insurance. You did get a copy of the report didn't you? What has your insurance company told you so far?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by norcalace
My insurance has finally responded and have totalled the car. Repairs were $25K. They are offering me $14K. Now some serious questions arise -
1. Can I take a mechanic with me to remove the add mods?
2. What happens to the car now? Can I buy it and sell parts - is that a good deal or a hassle?
3. What can I do to have them increase the value, since most cars for sale (like mine) are close to $20K? My car was fully optioned with HUD, dual climate control, multi CD changer, 2 tops, and Magnesium wheels. I was told my other Vette owners the Magnesium wheels was a 4-5K option on a the car. Does anyone know if that's true? I know you can buy them on ebay, etc for a under $1K now
Thanks again guys!!

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 10-24-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:23 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

My insurance hasn't told me anything since 1st day they took my statement. As for the driver at fault, it was the truck driver who hit me, but like I said before I have no info about him. Did the police get his info, I doubt, because I didn't see anyone crossing the traffic or talking to anyone in the opposite direction. I was in too much shock and didn't get anyone's info.
If it happened on the freeway CHP would have responded and taken a report. You must have spoken to someone from law enforcement. Yes? Call you insurer. They will surely have the report by now. Don't let time slip by. Where is the car? Ask them where to send you medical bills, when will the damage be appraised and where, when and where do you get a rental car and who do you bill it to. Sorry for your loss but it's time to get past missing the love of your life and start taking care of your interests. Not meaning to sound harsh or insensitive but if you don't take control no one else will either. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:58 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A couple questions what year is the car, what are the NADA values , who was responsible for the accident? This will all have a bearing on what you should settle for as far as a total pay out.You can buy your car back usually 15 to 20 percent of total. Is there that many good parts you can salvage to make it worth it for you and do you have a place to store the car. As far as removing parts usually not permitted once on the car they are part of the car. But if you have receipts for the mods you can show them to the adjuster and try to get the total price increased.
C5blk (11-06-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:36 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

IBTZP

I can't believe I'm the first to say: slap some Zaino in that and it will be good as new

Seriously...good luck with your insurance AND make them work for you (as far as getting the truck's insurance to pay for your medical, etc.)
Old 10-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page coverage

Glad you're okay. Figured the front page could help send you good vibes too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...er-walks-away/
Pounder (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 01:35 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Vette_Fan,
So glad you came through that awful wreck. That's most important. Absolutely, see a doctor and get checked out, especially the neck pain issue. Early detection may result in getting a steroid injection instead of a neck fusion down the road. I know, I've got the fusion. My best wishes too you, hope it all works out. Please, Please, get back into a Corvette.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:50 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Get a copy of police report, should list witnesses, police observations, info on all vehicles involved, etc. Any traffic cameras around?
Old 10-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Robert Perkins
A couple questions what year is the car, what are the NADA values , who was responsible for the accident? This will all have a bearing on what you should settle for as far as a total pay out.You can buy your car back usually 15 to 20 percent of total. Is there that many good parts you can salvage to make it worth it for you and do you have a place to store the car. As far as removing parts usually not permitted once on the car they are part of the car. But if you have receipts for the mods you can show them to the adjuster and try to get the total price increased.
Car info: 1999, 80K miles. Obviously it was well taken care of throughout its life and the ran strong.

They are willing to sell the car back to me for $750. I can park it in the drive way for a month or two; then I'll have to get rid of the wreckage.

Obviously, the engine, transmission, front body, seats, electrical parts, radiator, etc are usable. I have posted the Photos of the damage here - What do you guys think? Is it work it? Or will I have to pay to the wreckage yard to haul it away? I haven't dealt with these situations before...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 10-26-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:24 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Well if you have the tools, the time and the space...it could definitely be worth it to part out. Otherwise, it will be nothing but a PITA.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:42 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

ask Marc at vettenuts what it is worth to him ? maybe pick up a buck or two ??http://www.vettenuts.net/

Last edited by Pounder; 10-26-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It is differently worth $750 you can get that for just the EBCM. I would do it, you can probably get 3 to 4K easily in parts. If you are handy and have the time $$$ to be made also your performance parts can be removed and put on your next C5.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:04 PM
streety2k
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy it back and part it out. The seats sell for about 1k each I think. Start an ebay store and also see if you can sell the parts here on the forum. Call it the Vette_fan new vette fund.

Reading through this thread made me feel so sad. I lost an 02 Z06 before to a hit and run truck driver and got an 04 Z06 quickly after. My thoughts and prayers go with you. I am sorry for your loss. The choice was clear for me to get another c5. You share a bond with your car it is clear. Nothing will replace the feeling trust me. But another vette always helps. Up to you what you are willing to get.

Beyond that you should definitely get an MRI & Xray. Do not let it go. I am so glad to hear you are alive and healthy. The car did its job it saved you.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:50 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

OK, I'm back again. I can't over emphasize the importance of consulting with a good attorney. Many attorneys will offer a consultation at no cost to review your situation. I haven't seen a police accident report which should establish fault and to what degree for the various involved motorists, hopefully the accident report included a diagram. Without the report I really can't be any further help to you except to say this: GET A COPY OF THE ACCIDENT REPORT AND GET TO AN ATTORNEY IMMEDIATELY! DON'T SIGN ANYTHING OR ACCEPT A SETTLEMENT OR TALK TO ANYONE ABOUT THE ACCIDENT UNTIL YOU SPEAK TO THAT ATTORNEY. Hopefully you have had a medical assessment, once again, if not, GET TO A MEDICAL FACILITY AND FULLY EXPLAIN ANY INJURY OR DISCOMFORT, NO MATTER HOW MINOR YOU MAY THINK IT IS AT THIS TIME. Well, thats it, I'm off my soap box, hope you take the advice as there is only down side for not taking the proper steps to protect yourself. Best wishes and take care!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow, what a terrible accident! Glad you're on the mend.

Get notified of new replies

To * She gave her life for me. 12 yrs later put her to rest *

Old 10-27-2016, 03:30 AM
KingPin7869
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Corvette Community is like none - I've know that for years. And that's why we're the only guys who wave seeing another Vette.

I still am not sure of my options are? Glad to hear you guys pitching in. Honestly speaking, ONLY God could have prevented me from harm, and the C5 is a testimony to it's design (flying right in front of a moving truck in opposite direction). May be I should contact GM for giving my testimony for the Corvettes... It broke into shreds taking all the impact and I didn't even get a band aid. My biggest hurt is the emotional affects I feel - we were kinda married for 12 yrs.

I have not taken any settlement from the insurance, or signed anything yet! If they can get me into another car just like that, with similar condition, that would be ideal. Or if they make an acceptable offer, I may consider getting a C6. C6 body/etc is smaller than C5 and maybe more tight, and a lil added HP. But nothing looks like a C5. A good looking C5 is still an exotic car (to me).

What are my options: Can I remove my parts from it? Like the T1 sway bars, Z06 diff, Z06 Ti exhaust, Blackwing air intake, etc? Can I sell it for parts? Buy it back? Or sell to a junk yard? Or let the insurance keep it?
I'm also in CA. Been thinking about selling mine and getting a C7. She's a manual, HUD, Black/Black, glass top. Let me know if you're interested. Less than 15k miles. Brand new MPSS about 3k miles ago. 2nd owner.

1MRTYME (11-05-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 03:36 AM
KingPin7869
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPin7869
I'm also in CA. Been thinking about selling mine and getting a C7. She's a manual, HUD, Black/Black, glass top. Let me know if you're interested. Less than 15k miles. Brand new MPSS about 3k miles ago. 2nd owner.

It's a 2004.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:33 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by streety2k
Buy it back and part it out. The seats sell for about 1k each I think. Start an ebay store and also see if you can sell the parts here on the forum. Call it the Vette_fan new vette fund.
Done!

I'm also considering talking to some private body shops, who may want to fix it up and sell. I know it's hard to bring it back on the road, but a hobbyist, or a professional mechanic could do it. I could sell the car as a whole (cheap, $uggestions appreciated), their investment on parts brought for a wreck yard, or aftermarket should be a 3-4K, and personal time. The engine STARTS, radio works, driver window works...so I think there might be some hope.

WHAT do you guys think? HONESTLY, is it worth the trouble? Thanks!

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 10-27-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Vetteman Jack (10-27-2016)

Quick Reply: * She gave her life for me. 12 yrs later put her to rest *