Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need performance upgrade advice!! Which of these 2 options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:22 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chev
Let me just leave this right here.

I love roots blowers, and this article is old, but LPE still offers a warranty and that seems like it might be important to you.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty-file

In case you are not familiar with roots blowers, the provide full boost at low RPM. Your torque curve is no longer a curve, but a flat line. You may give up some on max HP, but for drive-ability and smiles per gallon, top notch.

lol 2002 lol
Old 11-22-2016, 12:38 PM
turbojim
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
BOOM! exactly this. I'm doing the same thing, only going .228/.232, and stage 2.5 5.3L TSP heads, and that will put me around 430whp with an A4.
It's a personal preference but I went with the H/C/I route. The car is lighter than stock and cooling is a non-issue. A mild cam with supporting mods to optimize air flow can provide stock driveability with nice broad torque curve. 456 whp / 407 ft lbs

AI 243 ported heads/stock valves
AI 224/228 cam 114/+2
Fast 92 intake, port matched
American racing 1 3/4" headers, stock Ti axle back
Callaway Honker
Attached Images   
Old 11-22-2016, 12:43 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Unless you can tinker with it yourself, which you said you are not mechanically inclined, stick with the cam and tune, with headers. That will require the least input from someone holding test equipment and a wrench once it's set up.

If you're going to take the heads off though, you may as well get some machine work done to them. Porting, springs and lifters to help that cam along.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:46 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5
I have a completely stock 2000 C5 auto with 20,000 miles. My plan is to likely keep it for 20+ years (no--I'm not kidding). I only drive it about 30-75 miles per week, mostly over the weekend. I just bought the car over the summer, but once spring rolls around (I'm in PA--too much salt in the winter to drive it), I may drive it to work 1-2 days per week, which means I'll probably be putting 100 miles per week on it from March-November...so total mileage of about 4,500 miles per year roughly. I am looking for good gas mileage (currently around 27 mpg with stock 2.73s) and same reliability (or similar) to what it is now. So, I am debating putting a few thousand into it for performance mods. My goal is roughly 430-450 very reliable, not going to kill the engine, transmission, or differential, crank horsepower. My options are either:
A.) East Coast Supercharger kit with restrictor plate at about 5 psi, which should be 450 crank hp (or so I'm told) and Corsa Xtreme axle back exhaust

B.) Combination of long tube headers, FAST intake, Callaway Honker, upgraded throttle body, Corsa Xtreme axle back exhaust (I'm thinking all these modifications should get me to 415 hp at the crank (?)) for slightly less than the supercharger from ECS...and maybe, a mild cam for ~25 more crank hp

The thing is, I am completely undecided, and in all honesty, don't know all the advantages and disadvantages of both. I love the idea of the supercharger, but I'm told my block has a 2 bolt main vs later LS1 Corvettes with a 4 bolt main, which may kill the engine with a supercharger. Any truth to that? What is a 2 bolt main vs 4 bolt main and which does my Corvette have vs other C5 Corvettes? I'd like to keep all modifications to $7,000 or less, with a goal of low, low 12s or 11.9 if possible (not going to drag race it--just saying how fast I'd want it to go as I think C6 autos from 2005-2007 run low-mid 12s and I want it a bit faster). I'm open to any and all ideas and suggestions as I'm far from an expert on this. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Either one will be fun. I have both N/A and F/I cars and they are all fun.

When you get ready let me quote you some parts.

Quick Reply: Need performance upgrade advice!! Which of these 2 options?