Sponsored by:

[Z06] MTI Instead of Vengance

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:15 AM
HOZ06
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MTI Instead of Vengance

Wanted Vengance to install jam cam, monster clutch, new chain, Melling, and possibly alky system on my SC Z, but they won't install any customer supplied parts. I'm not returning anything so I wanted to get opinions on MTI from those who might have used them. I just want a good install along with a good tune. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:53 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Very strange business policy, as they did not sell you your vette to begin with, so why work on it?

Looks to me they just lost (another) customer? Just how many customers out there wanting their service, an easy way for their business to die the death of a thousand cuts.

Customers are not always right, but their never wrong .....
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2016, 12:51 AM
HOZ06
Advanced

It's not like I wanted them to install some used second hand Chinese parts. The Brian Tooley Jam Cam, Timing Chain, Melling oil pump, and Monster clutch are all in unopened boxes. Only thing I can figure is its just another way for them to make money. Can't say that I blame them but it leaves me with a lot fewer choices. I talked to Nick at MTI about my parts and he was very familiar with them. Said to bring em on. I'll be heading that way next month.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:20 AM
HOZ06
Advanced

Guess I should have clarified MTI in GA not TX.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:31 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HOZ06
Guess I should have clarified MTI in GA not TX.
let us know how it goes and your experience. I'm sure there are more than a few who are seeking an alternative based on what you've encountered.

update this thread when you can. Thx.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:57 PM
cgiff
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default MTI Marietta Ga.

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
let us know how it goes and your experience. I'm sure there are more than a few who are seeking an alternative based on what you've encountered.

update this thread when you can. Thx.
MTI tuned my car in September. Nick was great to work with. Reese *** did the dynotune. Did HPDE at Road Atlanta afterwards . Wow car never felt like that before.
I highly recommend them.

Craig
Old 12-22-2016, 09:50 PM
edram454
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

that is a tactic some shops use to hold you hostage and pay there expensive prices on parts.. dont go to them... many other great shops will install parts that are supplied by you. vengance is upset because they dont get you on the parts and the labor. I would never go toa shop like that...ever.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:18 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Say those owner supplied parts fail, who are you the customer going to try and hold responsible?

You want a shop to install some owner supplied parts, and if they fail you'll want the installing shop to be responsible when they can't validate if the parts are any good. How many clutches fail due to defect?

I don't like the practice but I understand why a shop wouldn't want to install customer supplied parts.
The following users liked this post:
jrg77 (01-02-2017)
Old 12-25-2016, 12:45 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
Say those owner supplied parts fail, who are you the customer going to try and hold responsible?

You want a shop to install some owner supplied parts, and if they fail you'll want the installing shop to be responsible when they can't validate if the parts are any good. How many clutches fail due to defect?

I don't like the practice but I understand why a shop wouldn't want to install customer supplied parts.
This... I work in manufacturing, the same policy noted above is a smart, safe move for this reason.
Just happened a few months back, with a regular (over $100k/year) customer. I just had to say no, sorry.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:24 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06

easy, within the legal-ease on the bottom or reverse of the sales quote "not responsible for the performance or warranty of custom supplied parts or equipment".... matter over!
Old 12-25-2016, 06:51 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Travel to a better shop. Then rent a car for the ride home.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:21 PM
MMEOD85
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

All I have to say is - Vengeance did a great job fixing my vette after MTI worked on it. Taking my ZR1 there Jan 2 for an engine build.
Daniel@Vengeance (12-27-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 05:44 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

MTI has been around forever (decades). Good shop, but pricey. Can't go wrong with their work. Another shop around forever is Lamar Walden in Norcross, Ga.

One guy that used to work for Veng and started his own shop is Charlie @ LSXperts in Ball Ground Ga. Check him out for pricing.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
easy, within the legal-ease on the bottom or reverse of the sales quote "not responsible for the performance or warranty of custom supplied parts or equipment".... matter over!
And that's stopped how many people when their hi-perf parts failed from wanting some kind of warranty?
We read story after story hear of someone with parts failure then want the part replaced on the shops dime and the shop to deal with the parts manufacturer for recourse of THEIR part.

I wouldn't do it either.

One of the things you have to ask yourself, do I want to risk my money on a parts defect to save a couple hundred dollars on a $2-5k install? No. I'd rather let the shop make their money on parts and the install then if it fails within a prescribed amount of time the shop handles it.

If this isn't something an owner is OK with then my suggestion would be to learn how to turn wrenches.
The following 2 users liked this post by Millenium Z06:
95rtturbo (12-28-2016), Daniel@Vengeance (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:24 PM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by HOZ06
Wanted Vengance to install jam cam, monster clutch, new chain, Melling, and possibly alky system on my SC Z, but they won't install any customer supplied parts. I'm not returning anything so I wanted to get opinions on MTI from those who might have used them. I just want a good install along with a good tune. Thanks.
Good afternoon sir,

I apologize that we could not accommodate you on installing your parts for your Z06. As some have mentioned on here already, there are many issues that we have run into in the past with customer supplied parts such as manufacturer failures, poor performance, improper fitments, etc. For this reason we avoid the situation all together only offering parts that we can guarantee will work correctly in the vehicle while also knowing the performance and reliability outcomes, as well as having manufacturer's support if something does happen during install or after. This has nothing to do with the specific parts you ordered being inadequate, but rather our comfort level on supporting the build with these parts during and after the install.

Again, I apologize that we could not assist with these particular parts but we are happy to assist with anything else that you may need in the future!

Last edited by Daniel@Vengeance; 12-27-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Millenium Z06 (12-28-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 07:50 PM
stratsRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Z was built by Vengance. H/C/I, ported TB, headers,ud pulley. It screems!!!!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:42 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by David@Vengeance
Good afternoon sir,

I apologize that we could not accommodate you on installing your parts for your Z06. As some have mentioned on here already, there are many issues that we have run into in the past with customer supplied parts such as manufacturer failures, poor performance, improper fitments, etc. For this reason we avoid the situation all together only offering parts that we can guarantee will work correctly in the vehicle while also knowing the performance and reliability outcomes, as well as having manufacturer's support if something does happen during install or after. This has nothing to do with the specific parts you ordered being inadequate, but rather our comfort level on supporting the build with these parts during and after the install.

Again, I apologize that we could not assist with these particular parts but we are happy to assist with anything else that you may need in the future!
Yeah whatever, pedal that bullshit elsewhere to someone who's clueless.

I run a diesel shop and we don't like customers to bring parts because we MAKE MONEY SELLING PARTS.

Labor pays for the shop, parts are a major part of the profit.

Get notified of new replies

To MTI Instead of Vengance

Old 12-30-2016, 02:32 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Yeah whatever, pedal that bullshit elsewhere to someone who's clueless.

I run a diesel shop and we don't like customers to bring parts because we MAKE MONEY SELLING PARTS.

Labor pays for the shop, parts are a major part of the profit.
How much money do you think he is making on a cam? Yes he makes money on parts but there are a dozen vendors on this forum advertising cams etc so the consumer has an idea. For Vengeance to turn down work in your mind their making a killing on parts. If Vengeance installs all his parts and there is an issue, it puts them in a tuff situation that they can't get paid for to fix it. It will be a situation where the manufacture will say customer bought it, someone else installed it, take out part, send part back on and on and Vengeance won't get the worth for the job and they have an unfinished project with time already in it sitting there. Now their dealing with customer calling, parts not all in, other jobs in front of his car, just a disaster. Vengeance has their reps that will trust them saying a part was bad and allow them to move forward to replace part without any hold up.
I'm in the concrete business, I will not let a customer make me use a certain plant because of a dollar or someone they know works there and I don't make a penny on materials.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:09 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
How much money do you think he is making on a cam? Yes he makes money on parts but there are a dozen vendors on this forum advertising cams etc so the consumer has an idea. For Vengeance to turn down work in your mind their making a killing on parts. If Vengeance installs all his parts and there is an issue, it puts them in a tuff situation that they can't get paid for to fix it. It will be a situation where the manufacture will say customer bought it, someone else installed it, take out part, send part back on and on and Vengeance won't get the worth for the job and they have an unfinished project with time already in it sitting there. Now their dealing with customer calling, parts not all in, other jobs in front of his car, just a disaster. Vengeance has their reps that will trust them saying a part was bad and allow them to move forward to replace part without any hold up.
I'm in the concrete business, I will not let a customer make me use a certain plant because of a dollar or someone they know works there and I don't make a penny on materials.
GPM by industry standard for independent auto repair shops is 55% to be and remain profitable. Anything less is death by a thousand cuts. That's why wise and profitable shops use two or more labor rates when providing quotes. Another reason is their payables, any Co that is 90 days+ is a poor credit risk, and are on cash terms with most of the industry vendors in the area and region.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:18 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

We install customers' parts, but they know ahead of time there's zero warranty. They paid us to swap a turbo on a Detroit engine and even if we had to use parts we bought to complete the job and there's an issue that's all on the customer and they know it and many take that risk thinking they saved money on parts (when in reality most don't save much getting their own).

Vendors sell cams, headers, etc. Of course customers know the basic prices and where did I say they make a killing? I said they make money on the parts and that's true. Their business model is such that they charge the customer for all parts. Simple.

I just don't want the la-la land story. Not installing a set of Kooks headers that a customer provides because they want to have "customer support from the manufacturer if something goes wrong" is a BS side-step of reality. If a customer wants a set of Kooks headers installed it's not rocket science if they brought their own.

Quick Reply: [Z06] MTI Instead of Vengance