Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Ported stock heads/intake manifold/throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:33 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MX621
pretty sure he is referring to the op porting the heads himself... Which unless the op is a accomplished head porter, it's a terrible idea.
heh, more of this. you really only see this coming from people who are too scared to seriously sit down and say "i got this." you can follow videos on youtube and get it done.

so its not "easy" but its not difficult. its tedious and requires patience. one slip with an aggressive burr, and your erased all of your work. its like that old kid's game "operation" only for 40 hours at a time.

but I will say its absolutely something you can do on your own. i dont know about reshaping bowls much (aside from what you see there) but if you remove the rocker lump, blend it in, and reshape the guide area a little, there's easy gains to be made.

and at this point the tired old counters:
a) but omgerd you didnt flow bench it!
b) this doesnt mean anything without a "before" comparison
c) something else because you're too lazy/scared/repeating the internet

my counter is ive eaten base c5's like they were sitting still, walked c5z's on back straights where i had to pass somebody prior to them, thus slowing me down, and things like GTR's that are a known baseline are barely pulling on me in back straights and we're within a few mph of each other's top speeds. there's plenty to validate it other than what a bunch of people with no experience have to say on forums.

hell, i even did the heads on my ex-wife's Acura TL and that car was walking 350Z's before I was done with it.

the pics below are literally the first heads I'd ever done. It took around 65 hours because I was going soooo slowly and carefully. Probably 15 professional hours worth in them.

Car has:
* LS6 block
* 799 (243) heads
* LS2 tb
* Halltech intake
* corsa catback
* G5X1 cam - original, not the E
* OBX headers (yea, cheapo chinese stuff, another thing these forums will tell you is blasphemy)
* Comp pushrods & rockers
* LS7 lifters
* Katech timing chain dampener

Not much to it. Budget DIY build that is entirely of my creation. The most expensive single item was the exhaust, which I found on Ebay.

And to REALLY rowl up the "omgerd dont do it!" crowd... I tuned it myself, too! bought the car for $13k, put about $1200 into it, and it makes 424 rwhp with a diesel like torque curve

Old 12-29-2016, 12:22 PM
bob22z06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice video and looks like you did good on the porting too... one of the reasons I want to do this because i do all the work on my cars anyway ...worked on all kinds of engines since I was a kid so this will be nothing for me...so how did your clutch held up after all these upgrades?
Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bob22z06
Nice video and looks like you did good on the porting too... one of the reasons I want to do this because i do all the work on my cars anyway ...worked on all kinds of engines since I was a kid so this will be nothing for me...so how did your clutch held up after all these upgrades?
this only takes it close to LS7 levels, so im using the LS7 clutch just fine so far. i'd still look up Ranger's clutch fluid change and plan on doing it semi regularly, but so far not a single hiccup. and i dont baby my cars, at all. i flog them.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ported stock heads/intake manifold/throttle body?