Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inherited '99 C5 w/ 110k miles, what needs attention?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 AM
JagYouAre
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Inherited '99 C5 w/ 110k miles, what needs attention?

Hi guys,

As mentioned in my intro post, I just recently inherted a '99 C5 vert (Manual trans! ) with about 110k miles on it. The car is in need of some attention with respect to maintenance... previous caretaker didn't give her the proper attention at all. I just had all the belts changed and fluids topped off.

However my uncle, who first owned the car, put a lot of work into it so the engine seems to be making a lot of power. At minimum, I know he put a catback exhaust, replaced the air intake with a dual-filter style one, and has the MAF from the LS6 installed. No telling what else he may have done (software flash probably?) but I don't think there is a cam in it, could be wrong though.

From poking around here and driving the thing, I can tell it at least needs to have the shifter alignment performed which looks pretty straight forward... just need to get me a torque wrench.

What are the other typical maintenance things that she probably needs, assuming previous owner neglected them? 1st time vette owner so I have no idea what to look out for!

Some things I am considering to likely be necessary, but not sure:

-Spark plugs changed
-Fuel Injectors changed

Some other things I am having issues with:
-Headlight grinds after going down (I know, needs new gear in the motor).
-Low Coolant warning is always displayed, even though it's not low on coolant. Bad sensor maybe?
-Freon leak somewhere, but A/C blows cold when the Freon is replaced. Any place I should check first for a leak based on what's typical for these cars?
-Driver's seat seems to "lean back" on the left side, like the backing support is broken or something?

Looking forward to some input from you guys!

cheers
Old 12-29-2016, 02:32 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by JagYouAre
Hi guys,

As mentioned in my intro post, I just recently inherted a '99 C5 vert (Manual trans! ) with about 110k miles on it. The car is in need of some attention with respect to maintenance... previous caretaker didn't give her the proper attention at all. I just had all the belts changed and fluids topped off.

However my uncle, who first owned the car, put a lot of work into it so the engine seems to be making a lot of power. At minimum, I know he put a catback exhaust, replaced the air intake with a dual-filter style one, and has the MAF from the LS6 installed. No telling what else he may have done (software flash probably?) but I don't think there is a cam in it, could be wrong though.

From poking around here and driving the thing, I can tell it at least needs to have the shifter alignment performed which looks pretty straight forward... just need to get me a torque wrench.

What are the other typical maintenance things that she probably needs, assuming previous owner neglected them? 1st time vette owner so I have no idea what to look out for!

Some things I am considering to likely be necessary, but not sure:

-Spark plugs changed
-Fuel Injectors changed

Some other things I am having issues with:
-Headlight grinds after going down (I know, needs new gear in the motor).
-Low Coolant warning is always displayed, even though it's not low on coolant. Bad sensor maybe?
-Freon leak somewhere, but A/C blows cold when the Freon is replaced. Any place I should check first for a leak based on what's typical for these cars?
-Driver's seat seems to "lean back" on the left side, like the backing support is broken or something?

Looking forward to some input from you guys!

cheers
welcome to the forum... now read this

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...must-read.html
The following users liked this post:
JagYouAre (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:23 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

You should see if one of these was installed, (column lock pull key message)
http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5whoneeds1.html

read the stickies on the top of tech section.
JagYouAre (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:55 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Aged tires, if they are, should be replaced along with checking underhood for brittle hoses, etc...
JagYouAre (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:56 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 445 Likes on 328 Posts

ET has directed you to a good link. Fluids flushed/replaced, condition of hoses checked, and tires. The seat is likely the easiest fix and costs nothing.

The latches are probably out of sync. While standing outside the car, pull up on the recline lever and rotate the seat back all the way to the steering wheel, release the lever, then return the seat to normal position. Do the same with the latch behind the head rest. Takes longer to type than actually do.
JagYouAre (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:14 AM
JagYouAre
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
ET has directed you to a good link. Fluids flushed/replaced, condition of hoses checked, and tires. The seat is likely the easiest fix and costs nothing.

The latches are probably out of sync. While standing outside the car, pull up on the recline lever and rotate the seat back all the way to the steering wheel, release the lever, then return the seat to normal position. Do the same with the latch behind the head rest. Takes longer to type than actually do.

Interesting, will definitely give this a try. Thanks.

How do I check for the column lock bypass? After reading that sticky I'm getting paranoid the thing will lock down and I'll have to pay for towing to chevy dealer... yikes

Tires will be replaced ASAP. In fact, they're so old and cracked that I'm scared to drive the car home from where I'm currently storing it - a couple hundred miles away at the in-laws' haha. Hasn't stopped me from taking it for several spins in the area though, and the thing drives beautifully. I thought my Jag XE had responsive steering, but this thing just blows it out of the water, even on old tires
Old 12-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Interesting, will definitely give this a try. Thanks.

How do I check for the column lock bypass? After reading that sticky I'm getting paranoid the thing will lock down and I'll have to pay for towing to chevy dealer... yikes

Tires will be replaced ASAP. In fact, they're so old and cracked that I'm scared to drive the car home from where I'm currently storing it - a couple hundred miles away at the in-laws' haha. Hasn't stopped me from taking it for several spins in the area though, and the thing drives beautifully. I thought my Jag XE had responsive steering, but this thing just blows it out of the water, even on old tires
take off the access panel in the pass. foot well and take the fuse panel off and see if the module is there ??
Old 12-29-2016, 11:50 AM
JagYouAre
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pounder
take off the access panel in the pass. foot well and take the fuse panel off and see if the module is there ??
Thanks

Since I can't access the car right now, I called a Chevy dealer and asked them to check for recalls on the VIN. They said none were found, so I'm guessing the issue was fixed? Also spoke with the person who previously had the car and they said they did run into the column lock issue, while backing out of a driveway, and the car was towed to Chevy who fixed it... so I'm probably in the clear.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks

Since I can't access the car right now, I called a Chevy dealer and asked them to check for recalls on the VIN. They said none were found, so I'm guessing the issue was fixed? Also spoke with the person who previously had the car and they said they did run into the column lock issue, while backing out of a driveway, and the car was towed to Chevy who fixed it... so I'm probably in the clear.
No, you are not, the Dealers never could fix the issue, hence the LMC5 !!!
JagYouAre (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 01:10 PM
JagYouAre
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pounder
No, you are not, the Dealers never could fix the issue, hence the LMC5 !!!
Hmm... did GM not issue a recall for the issue? Or perhaps you are saying that the recall did not sufficiently prevent the column lock from happening? http://www.c5registry.com/technical/GMP0g.htm
Old 12-29-2016, 01:31 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Thanks

Congrats and Welcome to the C5 Family !
Don't rely on the Dealer Fix for the column lock issue....invest in a LMC5 which is relatively inexpensive and do the install yourself, very easy to do.
JagYouAre (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 02:12 PM
JagYouAre
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Congrats and Welcome to the C5 Family !
Don't rely on the Dealer Fix for the column lock issue....invest in a LMC5 which is relatively inexpensive and do the install yourself, very easy to do.
Ok thanks, that clarifies things for me. Had posted a reply to Pounder, but it looks like the post is waiting to be cleared by a moderator because I had a link in it.

Any input as to whether new spark plugs and injectors are necessary at this point?

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok thanks, that clarifies things for me. Had posted a reply to Pounder, but it looks like the post is waiting to be cleared by a moderator because I had a link in it.

Any input as to whether new spark plugs and injectors are necessary at this point?

Thanks everyone.
if it has never had plugs yes for sure, make sure to use never-seize on the new threads. injectors I don't know if it runs and idles smooth maybe not. I have run 4 pickups with the LS engine all over 200,000 miles and never messed with the injectors. (highway miles)
JagYouAre (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You say you had all the fluids topped off, but did you change them too? The coolant if never changed certainly needs it as does the brake fluid. I would go so far as to change all the fluids out to start with a clean slate.

The fuel filter may need attention, or may not. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the condition of all the hoses, including the brake lines.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:00 PM
JagYouAre
Intermediate

Actually, the mechanic I went to was unable to lift the car... he's a family friend whos shop we've been going to for years, so I trusted him. But he's not equipped to handle the vette. So the fluids weren't changed, only topped off. The oil was *supposedly* changed recently when it went to a dealer for a water leak, although I think they forgot to reset the light. I'm not certain they actually changed it, since it wasn't reset, so I'll have to get it changed myself.

So should I just go ahead and have all the fluids flushed? What about transmission fluid?

Want to avoid the dreaded corvette tax as much as possible so I'll have to find a reputable person in the Austin area who can work onthese cars.

Thanks guys
Old 12-29-2016, 08:18 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought a 2000 Corvette with 20,000 miles this summer. I had some service history records, but not all. To be on the safe side, I had my mechanic check the power steering, transmission, and rear diff. fluid. The trans. fluid was fine and changed in 2010 per Carfax, so I left it. Power steering fluid needed to be changed, so it was. Same as engine coolant. The rear. diff fluid was changed because an additive was added to help it perform better.

Other suggestions I was given are change the battery if it's a "traditional" lead acid battery. Get an AGM battery for ~$150 or so. The battery in these sits right on electrical components, so a battery acid leak can be a very, very expensive fix in these cars.

Install the column lock bypass (LMC5). Mine was recalled and repaired under warranty at a Chevy dealer around 2004 or so, if I recall. The most recent owner said it locked on him around 2014 and had to be repaired at the Chevy dealer. I believe he said it was $600! The LMC5 is about $40, if I recall. Well worth it!

Check the harmonic balancer. Does it wobble? It seems to happen to pretty much every LS1 Corvette eventually. Repair it with the best harmonic balancer...an ATI unit, which is about $400 for the part and $600 for labor at repair shops. The ATI balancer must be installed with a new bolt or you'll need to do it again one day. The best company that makes the bolts is...ARP I believe it's called. The bolt runs around $35.

The headlight gear making a sound...is plastic. Replace with a brass gear and you should be good forever. Good luck.
JagYouAre (12-30-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 08:47 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Aged tires are the biggest threat and of course not posting mandatory pics!
JagYouAre (12-30-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Inherited '99 C5 w/ 110k miles, what needs attention?

Quick Reply: Inherited '99 C5 w/ 110k miles, what needs attention?