Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The definitive MOMO steering wheel on a C5 thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:07 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

You just have to be patient. I got just the correct spline shaft on e-bay for $65. Turned out a dealer was liquidating unused parts inventory and offered it with "make an offer". I'm accumulating parts slowly as I find them. Eventually will have a C6 style wheel with all the buttons in my C5. Some parts are the same at lower prices if you shop different Chevy models. Malibu leather wheels witl all the buttons are under $100 and they're the same as C6.
The following users liked this post:
pdx-vette (02-13-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:20 PM
pdx-vette
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by danh52
pdx-vette, did you ever get that MOMO wheel installed? Any pics?
It was installed on my friend's Vette. We decided to take it to a body shop to have them do it. I can confirm that the parts previously mentioned worked. I'll get a picture the next time I see him.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

not a momo but I recently purchase an NRG wheel.

I've had my share of aftermarket steering wheels and I can tell you paying double for a sparco, nardi or Momo gets you real craftsmanship. Attention to detail is better than OE.

THE NRG on the other hand is kind of you get what you pay for type quality

picked this one up for $100 shipped and it arrived last night. Somewhat disappointed because of what I am used to until i remind myself i paid less than half and that its for a daily driver AND its still better than stock. Just waiting for the new hub/adapter to arrive

Premium Leather
Black Stitch
350mm / 13.78"
5mm spoke
3" Deep Dish
Black Spoke with Round Holes

Last edited by NiteriderFRC; 04-04-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Mitsumark
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did this job this past weekend in my 99....The whole job was straight forward and took about 90min to do the whole thing...Installed a Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel with the Momo 2401 hub...You really don't need to grind the hub..If you look at the plastic housing around the column you will see the little lip that protrudes out about 1/8 of an inch...If you take a plier and rock it back and forth slowly around that protruding area you will see it breaks of totally flush...If you happen to have any rough areas it can be smoother out easily with as something as simple as your wife's nail file....Be sure not to remove the factory red horn wire and spring and you will have a perfectly good working horn..I wired in my resistor and have no airbag light on..Diagnostics also confirm computer still thinks airbag is present...This was a very easy installation...I'll post a pic n the next few days..
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitsumark
I just did this job this past weekend in my 99....The whole job was straight forward and took about 90min to do the whole thing...Installed a Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel with the Momo 2401 hub...You really don't need to grind the hub..If you look at the plastic housing around the column you will see the little lip that protrudes out about 1/8 of an inch...If you take a plier and rock it back and forth slowly around that protruding area you will see it breaks of totally flush...If you happen to have any rough areas it can be smoother out easily with as something as simple as your wife's nail file....Be sure not to remove the factory red horn wire and spring and you will have a perfectly good working horn..I wired in my resistor and have no airbag light on..Diagnostics also confirm computer still thinks airbag is present...This was a very easy installation...I'll post a pic n the next few days..

is there a write up on the resistor ? In the past i didnt care about the airbag lifht..dnt want to look like i mickey moused the thing lol
Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 PM
chain_5001
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteriderFRC
is there a write up on the resistor ? In the past i didnt care about the airbag lifht..dnt want to look like i mickey moused the thing lol
You can just plug the leads of the resistor into the harness. The leads on the airbag and the ones on the resistor are about the same size. Then just zip tie the resistor to keep it from coming loose. I've had mines like this for a year and a half with no issues.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:06 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

My crazy idea is to put a quick release hub on a racing wheel AND the factory wheel. With this setup I can swap wheels when I get to the track.

There are quick release adapters available with 4 or 12 signal connections. 4 signals should be enough to connect the airbag and horn for street use. When connecting the racing wheel I will have the resistor and horn.

The above adapter fits inside the quick release

Old 04-06-2017, 05:20 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fuggles
My crazy idea is to put a quick release hub on a racing wheel AND the factory wheel. With this setup I can swap wheels when I get to the track.

There are quick release adapters available with 4 or 12 signal connections. 4 signals should be enough to connect the airbag and horn for street use. When connecting the racing wheel I will have the resistor and horn.

The above adapter fits inside the quick release

Let us know how this works out for you. The adapters look good, the challenge will be adapting the stock wheel.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:43 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by danh52
Let us know how this works out for you. The adapters look good, the challenge will be adapting the stock wheel.
Will do.

Yes. Getting the stock wheel mounted centered (!) is the toughest part. We'll see in a couple months. I've got a few projects ahead of this one.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:43 AM
1977c3widebody
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
Legit, not Momo and not cheap, but damn nice. Saw this as part of a ZR1 with too much money and full custom interior.

<edit> Owner said it was a full custom wheel, but might be a modified stock. Damn nice, though.
Looks like a sweet "Apsis wheel" they do full custom interiors for C5 and C6 you just send them your stock "core" wheel and they modify it.

Quick Reply: The definitive MOMO steering wheel on a C5 thread.