Sponsored by:

Bypass Mod Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:28 AM
Whorevette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bypass Mod Review

So after hours and hours of research I wasn't finding exactly what I wanted as far as exhaust kits go. I liked the sound of the bypass mod on other cars I had found. I decided to go ahead and do it. If I didn't like it I could find an exhaust I liked later. I ended up going with a 1.75 inch hole and pipe to get a bit more sound out of it as others that went smaller said they wished they went a little bigger. I have a crappy Walmart phone so I can't do a sound clip but I can give anyone interested a good idea of what you will come out with. Yes on idle it does sound a bit like a boat as people have said. It's not much louder than stock at idle though so it really doesn't bother me at all. Also at cruising speeds you can hardly tell the difference over stock it just has a bit of a better tone to it if you even hear it. Under load and while accelerating it sounds great! Bald eagles ascend from the V8 heavens and you instantly have a smoking hot babe riding in your passenger seat. It sounds deeper and more agressive than a lot of the aftermarket systems out there. Occasionally you get a little pop and crackle on deceleration. It has no drone and it's very very mild inside compared to being decently loud on the outside. It's more than enough to turn a few heads. I am absolutely happy with the outcome for 100 dollars or less. If your on the fence about doing it or just can't justify the 1000 dollars or more for some pipes I highly suggest it. As stated by every person before power gains are minimal if anything at all. Hope this little write up helps someone out there.
The following users liked this post:
Moto One (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 AM
mikeam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I did the bypass on my new 2K Vert a year after I bought the car + a Magnaflow X-pipe. It was OK. I hated the pop/crackle on decel so I went with a Corsa Pace Car catback and kept the X-pipe inline. Just awesome, no more pop/crackle...

This September, it will turn 19 years young and the Corsa catback is still sounding great but it's even better when I added a cam, tune, and Kooks headers and green Cats a year and a half ago (PCM of Mooresville, NC) It's a new car to me, she's more wicked now and I still haven't pushed the limit like I could do before the Cam mod. Saved me $54,000 for not buying a new Vette.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Vette-Kooks - Copy.mp3 (2.79 MB, 38 views)

Last edited by mikeam; 07-09-2018 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add
Old 07-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm glad I had the bypass done. Best 60 bucks I've spent on my 03 vert yet.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the review. You’re right, the bypass mod is an economical way to make your stock exhaust sound better.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:54 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

I bet it sounds like this
Old 07-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I love the pops and crackles on decel. Anyone else?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I enjoy the results of my Bypass Mod, but went another step and did the DMH Cutouts.

Now I have a bit more aggressive sound or "earth shattering" NASCAR.....or anywhere in-between at the push of a button.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:49 PM
Whorevette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm
Yes I am a fan of them but to each their own. We have a huge crowd of the older golf type people owning this car and they will turn their noses up at such atrocious noises. I've had a lot of extremely loud exhaust on previous vehicles and my last Jeep actually shot some flames and made a crazy racket out of pops and crackles on decels. I'm getting a little older now and really don't want all that but I do like a fairly loud exhaust that's open enough to make a bit of noise on the deceleration.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 AM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm
My Extremes pop/crackle between upshifts and on deceleration and I love it! Sounds alot like race cars on a track.

Steve
Old 07-11-2018, 11:57 PM
Toys4Life C5
Drifting

Received 1,248 Likes on 546 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by Whorevette
So after hours and hours of research I wasn't finding exactly what I wanted as far as exhaust kits go. I liked the sound of the bypass mod on other cars I had found. I decided to go ahead and do it. If I didn't like it I could find an exhaust I liked later. I ended up going with a 1.75 inch hole and pipe to get a bit more sound out of it as others that went smaller said they wished they went a little bigger. I have a crappy Walmart phone so I can't do a sound clip but I can give anyone interested a good idea of what you will come out with. Yes on idle it does sound a bit like a boat as people have said. It's not much louder than stock at idle though so it really doesn't bother me at all. Also at cruising speeds you can hardly tell the difference over stock it just has a bit of a better tone to it if you even hear it. Under load and while accelerating it sounds great! Bald eagles ascend from the V8 heavens and you instantly have a smoking hot babe riding in your passenger seat. It sounds deeper and more agressive than a lot of the aftermarket systems out there. Occasionally you get a little pop and crackle on deceleration. It has no drone and it's very very mild inside compared to being decently loud on the outside. It's more than enough to turn a few heads. I am absolutely happy with the outcome for 100 dollars or less. If your on the fence about doing it or just can't justify the 1000 dollars or more for some pipes I highly suggest it. As stated by every person before power gains are minimal if anything at all. Hope this little write up helps someone out there.

I liked this mod too. Your words describe it well, here are some visuals to help out.

Last edited by Toys4Life C5; 07-11-2018 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added video

Get notified of new replies

To Bypass Mod Review

Quick Reply: Bypass Mod Review