Sponsored by:

Drivers side door won't unlock intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 PM
ira99corvette
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drivers side door won't unlock intermittently

So I was stuck inside my car because the door wouldn't unlock. I had to open the window and use the key to get it open. Easier option then trying to climb across to the other side. I can hear the module working when I hit the door button or fob, but door doesn't unlock. Only the key opens it up. Doesn't happen all the time. Did anyone experience an issue like this and can share with me the solution, or anyone with ideas that can help me troubleshoot this issue? Locking the door works everytime.
Thank you
Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 PM
ira99corvette
Intermediate

Thanks so much for responding. I will go to the link.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 343 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

You can unlock the door manually with the tab by the inside door handle. It's not necessary to use the key to get out.

I had the door control module replaced twice on my 2001 when the driver's door had the same symptoms as yours. It was under warranty then so that made it an easy choice.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:26 AM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bradc6
You can unlock the door manually with the tab by the inside door handle. It's not necessary to use the key to get out.
I'm really trying not to at this ... I really am ! But I thought that'd be obvious to anyone that's driven any car for more than a few months.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by C5Txfan
I'm really trying not to at this ... I really am ! But I thought that'd be obvious to anyone that's driven any car for more than a few months.
you would be surprised as to what people do, or how little practical automotive knowledge they have.

People using regular octane fuel on a regular basis on a car with a high compression ratio. Some people use Dino oil in a car that has an engine that requires special heat additives in the oil, since it runs by design much hotter than a conventional engine. People put 63 psi in their tires because it says 63 psi Max on the sidewall.

So some people will crawl out of the window if their doors are locked... Can I justify it? Hell no, but my brother a college graduate, uses nails to hang things on dry wall . and wonders why those things fall... he uses a hammer to drive in screws. He would give you the shirt off his back and has victim tattooed on his forehead. Nicest guy in the world.

Its funny and sad, all at the same time.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:37 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

ET is right.
I think many of us remember this sad, sad, VERY sad story of the gentleman who could not get out of his C6 due to not knowing about the manual door releases on the floor.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ette/71053474/

OP: My 2000 had the issue a few times.
But knock on wood, it cleared up, and has stayed consistent.
I probably just cursed myself.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-11-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:57 PM
ira99corvette
Intermediate

I am going to look for the tab as you explained. I read that terrible story about the C6 , I didn't know the C5 had the emergency release. Thanks so much for sharing. Greatly Appreciated.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:52 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ira99corvette
I am going to look for the tab as you explained. I read that terrible story about the C6 , I didn't know the C5 had the emergency release. Thanks so much for sharing. Greatly Appreciated.
It's not an emergency release - it's a 2 - 3 inch long vertical manual tab right behind the inside door handle
Old 01-12-2017, 09:07 PM
ira99corvette
Intermediate

To tell you the truth I thought you were talking about a different release that I didn't know about. The manual tab is obvious and it didnt work either that's why I had to open the window. Can anyone help me trouble shoot now knowing the manual button doesn't work either. When I go to flip it doesn't go all the way. I should have explained the issue in more detail. Thanks
Old 01-12-2017, 09:46 PM
ira99corvette
Intermediate

Will do. I will take the door panel off over the weekend and follow the rods. Thank you
Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 AM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ira99corvette
To tell you the truth I thought you were talking about a different release that I didn't know about. The manual tab is obvious and it didnt work either that's why I had to open the window. Can anyone help me trouble shoot now knowing the manual button doesn't work either. When I go to flip it doesn't go all the way. I should have explained the issue in more detail. Thanks
Ah makes sense then ... seems you didn't have a choice but to unlock from outside.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:30 PM
ira99corvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C5Txfan
Ah makes sense then ... seems you didn't have a choice but to unlock from outside.
So I removed the door panel and looked for any signs of binding that would keep the manual flip switch from opening the door lock. I didn't see anything that was obvious. Do you guys think I should replace the Lock latch power actuator ? Of course I couldn't duplicate the issue while I have it apart. Thank you

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers side door won't unlock intermittently

Quick Reply: Drivers side door won't unlock intermittently