Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else have a solid feeling factory shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Anybody else have a solid feeling factory shifter?

So many people discuss the horrible factory shifter, that I just had to ask about mine, and factory shifters in general.
I only drove 2 C5's when looking, can't recall what the other felt like (3 years ago now), and obviously bought this one, my 04Z.
The car still had the factory air intake, manifolds, the ham radio crazy tall antenna, the PO even replaced the F1 Supercar tires with new Goodyear F1 Supercars. The car was bone stock with about 40K miles.
It also had the factory **** (pictured before I modified it). I took this apart to shorten the shaft and install a different ****. It looks identical to every other factory shifter picture I've seen. I almost thought it could be one of those TPS 427 shifters, which look basically stock, but mine does not have a rearwards bend, and it had the horrible factory **** also (plus it was not short).
Worst video ever (propped my phone against my case on the drivers seat on a whim), but this is my stock Z shifter (shortened, aftermarket **** only) as I'm ramping on to the highway coming home one day last summer. I'm not exactly ripping thru the gears as there was plenty of traffic, but you can see when I put it into first and shifting into 2nd that it pretty much clicks into place.
People talk about the sloppy stock shifter... you can see in my video, if anything this thing is not sloppy or loose. Does everyone's have this positive an engagement when they shift?
https://vimeo.com/151478781
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think most of the "sloppy" comments are exaggerated. Before I replaced the stock unit in my '04 Z with an MGW, it always had positive engagement. Nothing terribly wrong with the stock shifter (other than the shift ****, IMO) but the MGW just does everything better.

Last edited by Verrückt ZR1; 01-11-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,292 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've had two C5s with the six speed tranny and I never felt like I needed to complain about the factory shifter. Maybe it isn't as smooth or as short of a throw as some of the aftermarket ones, but it worked well for me.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Further... can everyone replying state if theirs is a base or Z, plus the year? The solid mounting on the Z must have some factor in this, and maybe GM changed vendors at some point in time?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a C5Z currently, had a 99 FRC, just test drove another C5Z over the weekend, and the shifters were all exactly the same. Sure, I'd agree that all of them had positive engagement. Of course they do, it's not like everybody is running around missing gears and grinding due to factory design.

However, beyond that, they were awful. Very loose feeling, shifter arm is wobbly, very rubbery feeling, and very long throws. Each person will have their own opinion, and many choose the ease and comfort of the stock shifter. Others like the feel of something needing a bit more effort, but vastly different in general feel, directness, and length of throw.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Totally disagree with the prevailing view up to this point about the adequacy of the OEM manual shifter.
I have a 2001 vert. The factory shifter is a serious disappointment. Sort of like the quality of the seat frames and seat covers are poor quality. Any owner of a C5 could give further examples of places where they let us down.
That said, there is an abundance of choices to remedy many of these deficiencies.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

'00 Convertible
'02 Z06
'99 FRC
'00 FRC
'00 Coupe
'99 Coupe
All 6 speed manuals, all stock shifters, no complaints.

Last edited by Mike98SilVert; 01-11-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:43 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I have no complaints about the stock shifter I have in my 02 (my 98 has the C6 Z06 shifter) but I went ahead (based on forum reviews) and ordered a MGW shifter. Now I just need to get off my butt and install it.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:47 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I'm in the "the factory shifter sucks" group.

It isn't really a problem with the car, but putting a quality aftermarket shifter makes the car 10 times more fun to drive. Enjoy your stock shifter, I won't ever own a c5 with it.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:40 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
...Very loose feeling, shifter arm is wobbly, very rubbery feeling, and very long throws. Each person will have their own opinion, and many choose the ease and comfort of the stock shifter. Others like the feel of something needing a bit more effort, but vastly different in general feel, directness, and length of throw.
That's the whole thing... my shifter is definitely not loose, wobbly, rubbery. It is direct, IMO precise, and takes some effort. It is far beyond my BMW shifters in precise feel.
My car is off the road but I'm going to shoot and post a dry shift video tonight.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

My $.02:

I have a Hinson shifter now in my built 2000 Coupe. My Father (who is now 76) even said the Hinson was a HUGE improvement over the OEM shifter; after driving it with the upgrades. He stated that he always thought it was a weak point of the driving experience.

My car only had 17K miles on it before I started modding it. Now it has 18K+. The reason I state that info is my stock setup was not "worn out". I missed a few shifts when I was getting aggressive when it was all stock. That has only happened twice since I got the upgraded shifter (and clutch).
Old 01-11-2017, 02:46 PM
usgecko
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14

2003 Z06 here - no complaints about the standard shifter but I would like to try a car with an MGW to see how it feels before throwing down the $$

Last edited by usgecko; 01-11-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
That's the whole thing... my shifter is definitely not loose, wobbly, rubbery. It is direct, IMO precise, and takes some effort. It is far beyond my BMW shifters in precise feel.
My car is off the road but I'm going to shoot and post a dry shift video tonight.
Have you used an MGW or an equivalent?

If not, then the whole point is moot. I mean, lots of people may be happy with the stock shifter and decide it's good enough and not understand why others feel they need a replacement. You won't understand the difference between the two until you've actually tried it. You may still prefer the stock unit due to ease of shift, comfort, etc...but at least you'll understand WHY others have different opinions.

The stock shifter is absolutely loose and takes no effort at all. It's like sticking a broom handle in a bucket of melted butter and wiggling it around. If your shifter is stock, it's no different than any other OEM shifter. You didn't get some oddball freak factory unit, it has been modified, or is not the OEM unit.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 01-11-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by usgecko
2003 Z06 here - no complaints about the standard shifter but I would like to try a car with an MGW to see how it feels before throwing down the $$
Hinson is just over in Birmingham. It may be a nice excursion for you to check them out (and their shifter). They have taken very good care of me and everything I've bought from them.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Have you used an MGW or an equivalent?

If not, then the whole point is moot. I mean, lots of people may be happy with the stock shifter and decide it's good enough and not understand why others feel they need a replacement. You won't understand the difference between the two until you've actually tried it. You may still prefer the stock unit due to ease of shift, comfort, etc...but at least you'll understand WHY others have different opinions.

The stock shifter is absolutely loose and takes no effort at all. It's like sticking a broom handle in a bucket of melted butter and wiggling it around. If your shifter is stock, it's no different than any other OEM shifter. You didn't get some oddball freak factory unit, it has been modified, or is not the OEM unit.
LOL, no, I'm not one of those guys who thinks his 1979 Fairmont somehow came with twice the HP of every other production car (I went to high school with a guy like that, it was his dad's Fairmont and it was capable of wheelies ya know).
I am trying to get to the bottom of how my, what appears to be factory, shifter feels nothing like what you (and many others) state, yet looks like every other factory shifter picture I've seen.
Is it possible to modify a factory shifter internally to tighten it up? If so, how?
I'm guessing mine is modified... as it takes effort, is precise. I would not want more effort for sure. Thus why I wonder what the mystique is all about. No, haven't driven one with a MGW or other, and unsure how I could; small town, not many C5's, etc.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
I'm in the "the factory shifter sucks" group.

It isn't really a problem with the car, but putting a quality aftermarket shifter makes the car 10 times more fun to drive. Enjoy your stock shifter, I won't ever own a c5 with it.
100 %
Old 01-11-2017, 04:34 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Grantv, yes your video is crappy! I've cut the shaft on both of my C5's. I have a coupe now, before was a Z06. The coupe, in my case is quieter and a bit more positive than my Z. I removed about 1 3/4" from my Z and about 2 1/4 from the coupe. I'm sure my shifter is shorter than yours. I love it, I've driven Hurst and MGW and for me I don't think they are worth it since all I want is a short shift. So this is a windy way for me to say I agree with you. Here's pix of mine:

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody else have a solid feeling factory shifter?

Old 01-11-2017, 05:00 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

2003 vert here ... main complaint I have about the stock shifter is that it's so 'notchy' feeling during a shift - sorta what I think one of those foreign sports cars have with the 'gates' you have to move thru !
The following users liked this post:
grantv (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know why everyone thinks the shifter in a C5 is a "shifter". It's just a lever with 2 pivot points, connected to a rod, back to where the shifter really is, which is inside the transmission! I went back to the stock shifter, because I like the extra leverage, which makes for an easier, faster shift IMO. If the pivot points/bushings are not worn, there is not more slop, it just seems that way because of the difference in leverage.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
I don't know why everyone thinks the shifter in a C5 is a "shifter". It's just a lever with 2 pivot points, connected to a rod, back to where the shifter really is, which is inside the transmission! I went back to the stock shifter, because I like the extra leverage, which makes for an easier, faster shift IMO. If the pivot points/bushings are not worn, there is not more slop, it just seems that way because of the difference in leverage.
heh, heh, heh ..... he sure showed us

Quick Reply: Anybody else have a solid feeling factory shifter?