Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I passed on a clean low mileage 1st gen NSX about 15 odd years ago now for 25K. Kind of wish I didn't at this point.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:51 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Listening to this guy talk about how not quite exotic the exotic NSX is, is ridiculous. It's not the fastest this or the smoothest that... That's what makes it the best. Desperate attempt to sell... Kinda like telling a guy to go after the ugliest chick in a group because she will be predictable...
Old 01-12-2017, 01:14 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
You love driving miatas because miatas are really good to drive, yet cheap to reflect the fact that they're slow and not exotic. If the nsx was $15k it would be a great car. There is nothing about it that makes it worth any more than that, its slow, cheap on the inside, and by no means really good looking.
I don't disagree with you; but cost/worth is not the argument - The topic was that it was unworthy of even a c5; and that simply isn't true.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:15 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

I shouldn't have used the term worth twice there; but they are in different context.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Scylla
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Ultimately, how people value cars is kind of arbitrary. Right now classics and resto-mods are really hot, I totally understand why, but to anyone who's not part of that community, the values placed on those cars is astronomical and seems completely insane. Same situation here, I personally have a bad relationship with the NSX, because of the type of people who I've been exposed to who obsess over the car. S2000 owners have a bit of a reputation, NSX owners...

That's being a little judgmental, and I'm sure awesome people love the NSX too. The reason is simple, it's the first Japanese sports car to establish itself as a high-value classic. Early Z cars are like miatas, it's possible to find a valuable one, but good luck. The NSX made an impact, so it deserves credit for that.

It's just... it's the ultimate garage queen, and this is corvette forum. It's silly how people talk about the reliability, because none of them ever get driven. I'd personally point at the 1993 Mazda RX-7 when it comes to great Japanese sports cars. They're definitely not reliable, but they're fast... and you can always LS swap it after the rotary blows up
Old 01-12-2017, 01:48 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
I don't disagree with you; but cost/worth is not the argument - The topic was that it was unworthy of even a c5; and that simply isn't true.
I mean it will get the floor wiped with it by even a base c5, except maybe top speed. Even a late model c4.

Want a confident little two seat sports car with mid 200's horsepower? Someone tell me how the nsx is better than an s2000 in ANY way. It doesn't look better, it isn't really any faster in the real world, it doesn't rev as high, it doesn't handle any better, it isn't any less of a Honda, it doesn't let you remove the roof any more, it isn't any nicer on the inside. Why on earth would a person spend 100,000 more than an s2000 to get a less good s2000?

The reason is simply the stigma of the nsx. "Ohhhh the nsx is the best super car ever. Ohhh Honda took on the giants and even though it isn't as good as them the nsx is nsex"

to to talk to the video, I can use 100% of my cars power in the real world. It has really confident handling even if the steering feel is a bit more numb. Do I think the c5z is the best thing in the world? No. but it's twice as good as the nsx is.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I mean it will get the floor wiped with it by even a base c5, except maybe top speed. Even a late model c4.

Want a confident little two seat sports car with mid 200's horsepower? Someone tell me how the nsx is better than an s2000 in ANY way. It doesn't look better, it isn't really any faster in the real world, it doesn't rev as high, it doesn't handle any better, it isn't any less of a Honda, it doesn't let you remove the roof any more, it isn't any nicer on the inside. Why on earth would a person spend 100,000 more than an s2000 to get a less good s2000?

The reason is simply the stigma of the nsx. "Ohhhh the nsx is the best super car ever. Ohhh Honda took on the giants and even though it isn't as good as them the nsx is nsex"

to to talk to the video, I can use 100% of my cars power in the real world. It has really confident handling even if the steering feel is a bit more numb. Do I think the c5z is the best thing in the world? No. but it's twice as good as the nsx is.
The NSX came out in 1990, of course cars made years later can outperform it. When it came out, it was something special, and it still is something special. The fact that modern cars can outrun it around a track has little to do with the car's perceived value. Using your logic, all old cars are worthless because they "aren't as good" as new cars.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:12 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Black 02
The NSX came out in 1990, of course cars made years later can outperform it. When it came out, it was something special, and it still is something special. The fact that modern cars can outrun it around a track has little to do with the car's perceived value. Using your logic, all old cars are worthless because they "aren't as good" as new cars.
almost anything can outrun an early nsx to be honest. An lt1 corvette can outrun a 2005 nsx, thus making an older corvette faster than a newer nsx. The speed is still not even part of the reason why the nsx is average at best. It's a super car that feels less sporty than a hot hatch. I don't want to have a super car that feels like driving a Honda Accord. I want a super car that makes me feel like I'm driving something special.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

almost anything can outrun an early nsx to be honest. An lt1 corvette can outrun a 2005 nsx, thus making an older corvette faster than a newer nsx. The speed is still not even part of the reason why the nsx is average at best. It's a super car that feels less sporty than a hot hatch. I don't want to have a super car that feels like driving a Honda Accord. I want a super car that makes me feel like I'm driving something special.
Funny, back in the day it was picked over the C4 ZR1 and other very competent sport cars. Too bad they didn't know that almost anything could outrun it. What were they thinking?

Yes, by 2005 it was definitely outgunned by the competition. It had an usually long production run and hung on as long as it could.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Just for fun, an old comparison test of the best at the time that the NSX arrived.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 01-12-2017, 03:39 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Funny, back in the day it was picked over the C4 ZR1 and other very competent sport cars. Too bad they didn't know that almost anything could outrun it. What were they thinking?

Yes, by 2005 it was definitely outgunned by the competition. It had an usually long production run and hung on as long as it could.
i would think some of the articles I've posted where top auto reviewers picked the dodge stratus as sexier and more fun than a mustang gt would prove that automotive reviews are mostly garbage.

Its just like in the bicycle world: Santa Cruz bikes get all the magazine glory, but they can't hold their own with cheaper specialized and treks. A magazine article proves nothing to anyone but sheep who can't form opinions of their own.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

i would think some of the articles I've posted where top auto reviewers picked the dodge stratus as sexier and more fun than a mustang gt would prove that automotive reviews are mostly garbage.

Its just like in the bicycle world: Santa Cruz bikes get all the magazine glory, but they can't hold their own with cheaper specialized and treks. A magazine article proves nothing to anyone but sheep who can't form opinions of their own.

Ok, you're right and everyone else in the world must be wrong

Better?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:51 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm still a bit confused on how it can be called a "super car". By every admission, it isn't "super" in any way, except maybe handling. Not so different than my old Porsche 914... Didn't make it a super car.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:57 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Ok, you're right and everyone else in the world must be wrong

Better?
To make you feel better, I would take your 997 or really any 911 over an nsx. Honestly I would rather a boxter than an nsx.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

To make you feel better, I would take your 997 or really any 911 over an nsx. Honestly I would rather a boxter than an nsx.
Considering how much you hate the NSX, I'm not sure that makes me feel much better

Thanks though, lol.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:43 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They are cool. I have no issues with them. I still think the C5 is a better looking and better platform to build on. And is the NSX any more reliable than a C5? I used to deliver(UPS) to a guy on my route who had a track NSX. I would deliver car parts to him pretty often. His was turbo'd and stripped down to a track only car. He loved it. Said it was very light, quick with the turbo, and simply fun to drive. I believe he said he was roughly in the 400hp range. So I imagine it was pretty fast for a car that must have been 2700lbs or so.
Not close to a modded C5 in power for sure. But it's still a cool car for what it is.
Now, is it worth the money??? To me, no. To someone who has always wanted that car, only they can answer that. Give me $125K to buy a car........ I will have me a C2 Vette and some other car too. Maybe a C6 Z06.
There are so many sweet cars out there. I'm glad we all have our own tastes. Imagine if everyone thought the C5 was the greatest. That's all we would see driving as cheap as they are!!!
And there is no way an NSX feels like driving an Accord. Any car that sits that low to the ground, like a C5, simply feels different.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:06 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Considering how much you hate the NSX, I'm not sure that makes me feel much better

Thanks though, lol.
I don't hate the nsx at all. It's a great car, just massively over hyped and far too expensive.

For $20k I would consider owning one. The same goes for the Supra, it's a good car, but the following has caused it to be worth way more than it should be. No matter how much power a Supra makes, it will never be a great well rounded car.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 versus Acura NSX

Old 01-12-2017, 06:00 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
1991 NSX ( first year ) 3000 lbs.. 3.0 V6 268 HP. MSRP 25,000 initial price paid 30,000
Um, the 1991 NSX MSRP was about $60,000. I remember them selling for a premium over MSRP but I don't remember how much. If they had sold for $25,000, there would be one in my garage instead of a 1991 Eagle Talon TsiAWD.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

I'd rather have an NSX than an S2000. I think they still look cool. I too remember when you could buy one for 25k. But even at that price, I'd still rather have a Corvette. More power, cheaper parts/servicing costs. I don't like the new NSX at all.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:00 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

While the NSX might be outgunned by a corvette, that does not make it less enjoyable to drive. I fully expect it to be slower straightline; but it's not like it's THAT far off - they run bottom 13s. That's on par with the majority of c5 or near any c4.

Why are you comparing it to an s2k? If we are judging cars for being cars and not pricing aside; WHY would you want the s2k?

It doesn't rev as high? Seriously? How is that an argument; like peak power is ever the most important thing in a road car. The tq of the v6 would carry the car out of low speed corners or places on a track where you maintains single gear. I've driven an ap2. It sounds and behaves like a b16-b18 civic with crap until 5k and just generic intake noise. There is far less exotica out of any Honda 4cyl vs their v6. Handling can't possibly be quantified by skid pad number, although I highly doubt the s2k out handles the NSX. There is no way to replicate the light steering of a mid engine car, the weight balancing and rotation in the corners. Likewise the driving position. Loooooong hood and sit in the back, or a cockpit like racecar reminiscing the early 90s Lemans /IMSA longtail cars.

They have targa NSX cars, so the roof is mildly null.

Now is the NSX a better value? Arguably yes hence the worth IF you bought one at the right time. I recall insane s2k prices too. Now? No, the car isnt 100k 'better' than any other high dollar car vs a cheap variable that is 8/10ths.

The C5 and the S2k are simply too overproduced for anyone to care. The s2k values MIGHT creep up in the next 10yrs IMO as there will be less left and they will be reveled; but they were never intended to be anything more than a mass produced Honda vert. Nothing groundbreaking, no crazy all aluminum construction when it was totally unheard of for a modern production vehicle from the likes of Honda/Acura.

No, the NSX was born special. Trying to disregard that is simpleminded. The most bulletproof car? No. The highest quality? Well considering it made its mark in 1991, to be able to even compare it to something newer says a lot. Was there ever an Alex Zenardi edition of an s2k? The closest GM endorsement was the lame duck F1 camaro. It is a driver's car. The cost is irrelevant.

I love corvettes. They're great. Light, cheap, fast, reliable. They are the antithesis of an exotic lol. But there's 100 haggered *** ones crawling around for every single well kept example. 100:1 clean corvette examples for every 1 NSX sighting. Rarity sells. Special demands value.

The c5 and s2k do not provide that at any level.

No matter how you want to justify it, there is a cost to that level of uniqueness and performance, and heritage. To the person with MUCH deeper pockets, this totally writes off the c5 or s2k. As the NSX provides something that neither can provide no matter what you want to put on paper. Generic vs Exotic 101.
The following 2 users liked this post by RSbeast:
Black 02 (01-12-2017), The Chev (01-13-2017)

Quick Reply: C5 versus Acura NSX