Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Been using Zaino for 19 years

ZAINO. LASTS a year...

Old 01-27-2017, 10:38 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

E T .. i store things so well in my mind that not even i can retrieve them . people tell me it's old age but i feel it's just having very secure storage . NOW , as for claying i've wanted to clay one of wifes vettes for a long time , even have a blackfire clay kit but not the courage to try it . both vettes are zainoed and the surface feels awesome . . . peace
Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I clay barred mine two weeks before I heard of Chadwick's, after the Chadwick's I had even better results. Neil doesn't like a clay bar, too much of a chance to induce scratches !!! The easiest and best car care product I have ever used !!!(have not used Zanio)
The following users liked this post:
Fast Cars & Horses (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:40 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Since you asked, I accessed the 7 page MSDS...HERE are THE INGREDIENTS OF Automotive detailing clay
3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS Chemical Name Titanium oxide CAS-No Weight % Trade secret 51745-87-0 Talc <5 * 14807-96-6 <5 *The exact percentage (concentration) of composition has been withheld as a trade secret.
There are no real secrets with the advent of a Mas-spectrometer .So clay is a mixture of titanium oxide and talc.
One of my college professors told me 50 years ago " it's not important to know everything, it's important to know where to find the answers you seek"My brain is running out of room to store all of this stuff.
Bill aka ET
Mine too! I'm not positive, but titanium oxide seems like it's a natural material, and of course talc is. I guess it uses a binder of some kind that allows us to use it.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

The MSDS was a cut and paste, no other chemical listed.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by bigcypress
E T .. i store things so well in my mind that not even i can retrieve them . people tell me it's old age but i feel it's just having very secure storage . NOW , as for claying i've wanted to clay one of wifes vettes for a long time , even have a blackfire clay kit but not the courage to try it . both vettes are zainoed and the surface feels awesome . . . peace
let me hold your hand on this. YOU ARE in good hands
Let me explain the thought process

First don't look at the whole car as a clay project
Just look at the left front fender.

First thing , take a hose low pressure and run it over the fender. ( no not the hose ) the water within the hose. This will flush off any sand or silica. Then I use a leaf blower to blow dry that fender

Then I use, gloss enhancer, or any quick detailer as a lubricant. It's important to use lube. ( just ask any prison inmate. )

Take your fresh out of the box clay and kneed it a little like you were making pizza dough

Now lightly run the clay in cicular motions to draw contaminants from the surface. You Need to do over lapping circles about 6 inches in diamter. You should feel no resistance, use no pressure, the clay does all the work
It should feel as slippery as the first time you took a shower with a girl. Or spent time in prison

It should feel like gliding on air. If you feel any resistance at all, you need another sprits of detailer.
It usually takes about 3 or 4 minutes to do that front fender. You will note a slight dicoloration of the clay. Usually it's black.. once you clayed that fender , take a few.micro fiber towels , put them in the dryer to soften them and remove any moisture or humidity. The way you tell the presence of moisture or humidity is to put it up to your cheek if it feels cold, it has moisture in it. You want a moist free warm, soft micro fiber towel.. it only takes a minute or two in the dryer.

Spray some detailer or gloss enhancer on the freshly clayed fender and wipe it with the warm micro fiber towel.

Re kneed the clay to a fresh surface for the next panel

Now that fender is ready for some Zaino or polish of your choice..I use a Zaino pad and I spray the application side with some gloss enhancer.

I put two or three drops of Zaino on the fender and massage it in. ( thin is much better then thick ) if you use more then 6 drops, you are using too much.
This whole process takes 5 or 6.minutes once you get the flow. You let it flash off.

While the front fender is curing. Move to the left door. Hose it off. Blow dry it, apply detailer clay it deatailer, Zaino. Let it cure. This takes another 5 or 6 minutes and enough time for the front fender to flash off. Now buff it off with a clean war microfiber towel. Time needed? About 2 minutes

Now go to the rear quarter panel and repeat the process.once Complete move to the door and buff that off.

Move around the car doing one panel at a time

That's it.. shouldn't take no more then an hour. I can do this whole process in 45.minutes
.a warm dry microfiber towel makes very quick work of removal. Compared to using an ambient temp towel that contains some humidity.

The End
Good luck.. it's how I do it

Bill aka Et

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-27-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Spell check
The following 3 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
CindysC5 (02-06-2017), Jbster (02-15-2017), tdf01cycling (02-22-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

It's always good to spell check before you hit enter
CindysC5 (02-06-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 03:31 PM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Bill, can I still drop my beast off in the spring? I'll bring the beer.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by mrmagloo
Bill, can I still drop my beast off in the spring? I'll bring the beer.
I haven't done my car in 18 months. .. not sure if I have enough gas in the tank to do mine. The good news is my car still looks wet.

From one of my security cams taken a month ago.100,000 miles.

The following 3 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
CindysC5 (02-06-2017), Jbster (02-15-2017), tdf01cycling (02-22-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 07:59 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Titanium oxide is also used as a filler in frosting, protein powder, candy, chewing gum, tooth paste, powdered doughnuts, mayo, sunscreen and cosmetics.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

I haven't done my car in 18 months. .. not sure if I have enough gas in the tank to do mine. The good news is my car still looks wet.

From one of my security cams taken a month ago.100,000 miles.

One of my favorite C5's.
Evil-Twin (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:14 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert

One of my favorite C5's.
It pales in comparison to some of the really exceptional cars on this forum, but its certainly not your average C5. The amazing thing is that with proper care, a 100,000 mile car that's 18 years old can fool the eyes of most non car people. Those who think its brand new. A 40 year oldish black guy driving a brand new Lexus, asked me at the bank, if my car was the " NEW" Corvette spider.. his words.
Bill aka ET
The operative word in his question was " NEW ".

I owe this phenomenon to my four corners. always spotless, wheels wells look as if they never saw a road way. wheels spotless and dust free , tires clean and not that fake wet look. Rotors without spec of brake dust, no rust, and as if they were chrome plated The stainless steel aircraft fasteners that are set into the black nitrated aluminum hats add a detail that catches the eye. . Also the paint finish is wet looking , that's Zaino .. MY car was cleaner than the 2016 Lexus. It takes little effort to keep a clean car clean, if you never let it get dirty. Of course being retired gives me the luxury of time, which many people do not have. I've been very sick with lots of trips to the hospital,,, testing and clinical trials..

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-27-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:24 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

I recently clay barred my Black C5 a few weeks ago followed by Griots One Step Paint Sealant. I am very careful and haven't had problems with scratches, but it could easily occur. Just keep folding and kneading the clay and change it frequently. 11 years with my Black '99, taken just after the clay barring and paint sealant.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:36 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I recently clay barred my Black C5 a few weeks ago followed by Griots One Step Paint Sealant. I am very careful and haven't had problems with scratches, but it could easily occur. Just keep folding and kneading the clay and change it frequently. 11 years with my Black '99, taken just after the clay barring and paint sealant.
Looks great Mike.. Just because I use Zaino doesn't mean that there are not other products that can yield a good result.. IM glad you recognize how easy it is to scratch a clear finish. But to deliberately rub a dirty car with anything without removing the silica that's use to remove paint on a piece of sand paper, is mind boggling..
Imagine, putting a teaspoon of sand on your car, spray it with these wet wash products, then place a towel on top of it a rub it around your finish.. even a few granules will scratch, and even with fillers, those fillers fade and you have to do it all over again. Ill stick with what works for me, and the science behind it.. Those who, even in the face of logic, continue to use those processes, is OK with me.

55 years of research...
Bill aka ET
Old 01-27-2017, 09:01 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Bill, here in Florida there is sand everywhere. Every time I clean my cars I thoroughly soak them, using lots of Meguires car wash and a clean Griots thick nap microfiber was mitt. I use a blower to dry the paint and rims and a clean quality microfiber cloths to dry the remaining water droplets. The blower works well on the polished finish of the 3 piece rims removing every trace of water so I don't even need to touch them except when I routinely polish them.
I drive my car and often in the rain and there are plenty of bugs here but the clear bra, and keeping on top of the cleaning keeps the paint and rims looking new. Plus I keep the exhaust and rim barrels clean as well.
The GM clear coat over the Black paint is very prone to show even the finest scratches and imperfections. When I installed my headers I made sure to use thick fender covers and blue tape to keep them in place and to tape any other exposed painted areas such as the painted headlight covers and edges along with heavy towels and not a mark on the paint. If you're careful you minimize the chances.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:14 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Bill, here in Florida there is sand everywhere. Every time I clean my cars I thoroughly soak them, using lots of Meguires car wash and a clean Griots thick nap microfiber was mitt. I use a blower to dry the paint and rims and a clean quality microfiber cloths to dry the remaining water droplets. The blower works well on the polished finish of the 3 piece rims removing every trace of water so I don't even need to touch them except when I routinely polish them.
I drive my car and often in the rain and there are plenty of bugs here but the clear bra, and keeping on top of the cleaning keeps the paint and rims looking new. Plus I keep the exhaust and rim barrels clean as well.
The GM clear coat over the Black paint is very prone to show even the finest scratches and imperfections. When I installed my headers I made sure to use thick fender covers and blue tape to keep them in place and to tape any other exposed painted areas such as the painted headlight covers and edges along with heavy towels and not a mark on the paint. If you're careful you minimize the chances.
You've got a clear vision of the potential disaster of having a clear coated paint finish, with an understanding of how delicate that surface actually is.

Bill
Old 01-27-2017, 11:51 PM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

how could you possibly say your nerve endings would be more sensative when covered with a plastic bag...
Surprised that you took into account that all hands are the same.
The feeling thru the plastic will be the same thru the nerve endings without the attachment of calloused rough flesh...No?

(Press harder accurate?)

Spoken with not so delicate hands.

Get notified of new replies

To Not clean til its CLAY BAR clean!

Old 01-28-2017, 12:25 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Tuco
Surprised that you took into account that all hands are the same.
The feeling thru the plastic will be the same thru the nerve endings without the attachment of calloused rough flesh...No?

(Press harder accurate?)

Spoken with not so delicate hands.
I usually sand paper my finger tips before I try to break in to a Bank vault.. You would have to be at least 70 to know what IM talki9ng about. sensitive finger tips kept me out of prison, made me the financial success I am and most importantly, kept me with the same woman for 50 years.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:53 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I usually sand paper my finger tips before I try to break in to a Bank vault.. You would have to be at least 70 to know what IM talki9ng about. sensitive finger tips kept me out of prison, made me the financial success I am and most importantly, kept me with the same woman for 50 years.
your nukin futz Bill
Old 01-28-2017, 01:07 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Tuco
your nukin futz Bill
IM laughing on the outside and crying on the inside.. Not because IM sick.. but because I had a Beer and burrito lunch with hard boiled eggs.
And my wife keeps telling me, I take her breath away.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-28-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Not clean til its CLAY BAR clean!