Giving up my 2003 Z06 for a Jaguar or a Benz after 1.5 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 02:17 AM
Millenium Vette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by Black 02
I do feel his original post was a little trollish, if he was looking to bring out the "Corvette or nothing" guys, it definitely worked.
A little trollish?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:34 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Realistically though, what else is the Corvette good for? It's all about power, which leads little more to do with it than to "punch it" in a straight line. There are better cars for other uses, which he noted. I personally don't have an interest in Jaguar, but AMG has a lot of things that peak my interests. If he wants something like that, then more power to him. Why settle for a car he isn't happy with just because a forum full of group think happens to disagree with him?

I do feel his original post was a little trollish, if he was looking to bring out the "Corvette or nothing" guys, it definitely worked.
The work that went into making the car as lightweight and have near 50/50 weight distribution means absolutely nothing to you? How about its aerodynamics? The brake duct cooling?

If you want a go fast in a straight line car, look no further than the Challenger. A Corvette is far more refined than that.

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
Are you serious? Comparing like years, owning an out of warranty '02 Mercedes or Jaguar or even Porsche, BMW, Audi, Land Rover would be a costly reliability nightmare compared to an '02 GM, Ford, Chrysler/Dodge, Honda, Toyota, Nissan vehicle. Forget about an exotic. And none of them, not even an exotic will give a person class.
To be fair, 2002 generation Mercedes engines and transmission were very bulletproof. It was all the little widgets that tended to fail.

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
I suppose that a car who can go 200,000 miles can't really be called reliable.
As for class, it's more the driver than the car.
Try 700,000 miles. http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-700000-miles/
Old 02-16-2017, 02:54 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

I come from a Lexus backround as well, so I know what you mean , its not as refined or comfortable, but it makes up for it with reliability and cheap parts, and of course the fun factor.

If you don't appreciate those aspects of it, then I wouldn't blame you for getting into something else.

If you want a Jag id strongly recommend the 07-09 XKR's(supercharged V8) . I am a member of the jag forums and was considering one at one time, they are as reliable as you will get when it comes to Jag.

Jag used the same 4.2 litre V8 from about 1997 to 2010, so by the time the 07 model came out they knew that engine inside out and from all accounts the engine is bulletproof.

Also the tranny is a very common one used in many other models, so parts are cheap and replacements cheap as well.

As for the GL450, its a piece of crap really, a guy I know from here purchased once last year, he has already had air suspension issues which cost him $5000 + within the first few months, then his serpentine belt shredded leaving him stranded in some dead end town in the middle of nowhere for overnight, and now his tranny is slipping and the shops cant diagnose it, and are recommending a replacement.

According to a few of his friends ive spoke too, hes in for about $15000 in repairs so far in approx 1 year of ownership.

His story is not unusual when it comes to benz ownership.

At least an AMG might feel like all the trouble is worth it due to the power and prestige, but for a gl450 its not worth it at all.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 1Willy1; 02-16-2017 at 03:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Studying4boards (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I wouldn't buy a Corvette for status (or any other car for that matter) It is a drivers car.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM LS1 M6
The beginning of an epic thread.
That's about to be closed???
Old 02-16-2017, 06:54 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I also come from a Lexus background... fifth new Lexus in 15 years....all for my wife. I'm still a Vette guy and have always been. I like everything about them. I love wrenching on them. I love to change the oil on my back, without a shirt, on the cold garage floor. Guess you have to be a bit of a "gearhead".
Old 02-16-2017, 07:19 AM
alcoed
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Jaquar reliability??

Class is not something you can buy.
Reliability is not something that a Mercedes or Jaguar are known for.
Comfort is not something found in a true sportscar.

A Corvette is not for everyone.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ies/iagree.gif
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Are you serious? Comparing like years, owning an out of warranty '02 Mercedes or Jaguar or even Porsche, BMW, Audi, Land Rover would be a costly reliability nightmare compared to an '02 GM, Ford, Chrysler/Dodge, Honda, Toyota, Nissan vehicle. Forget about an exotic. And none of them, not even an exotic will give a person class.
Again, nothing but stereotypes are used in your post. Do you have any direct experience with any of the brands you mentioned, or are you just regurgitating what you've read online?

Oh let me guess, an exotic like a Ferrari also costs $20k a year to have serviced?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tsumi
The work that went into making the car as lightweight and have near 50/50 weight distribution means absolutely nothing to you? How about its aerodynamics? The brake duct cooling?

If you want a go fast in a straight line car, look no further than the Challenger. A Corvette is far more refined than that.

[/URL]
Brake duct cooling?

Surely you could have come up with something better than that. At least use active handling or an actually cool feature of the car.

Yes, 50:50 weight distribution is cool, but it's hardly unique to the Corvette. Almost all older BMWs have the same and I would rather have a little rear bias anyway
Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 AM
glfrmrk
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Studying4boards
Hello guys,
it had been fun and this place is a great source for information and advice. People are genuine here. A little about me. I came from Mercedes, Lexus, and Acura. I enjoy cars that have class and are very reliable, These are are the things that I did not find in a z06.

I am looking at a Mercedes GL450 or the Jaguar XJL Suporsport. I'm looking for comfort and class, things that the corvette lacks, plus I'm also going for reliability. 510 horsepower of the jag will be a pretty impressive motor.

Loved punching on the corvette and it did very well. .

Who knows, maybe I'll be a Corvette owner again.
Obviously you are not a real Corvette person. That is fine. I'm sure you have done your homework as far as cost of ownership of the other cars...insurance, fuel, labor rates since I'm sure you are not doing any of the routine maintenance yourself. It all comes down to what pleases you. The best of luck to you.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by glfrmrk
Obviously you are not a real Corvette person. That is fine. I'm sure you have done your homework as far as cost of ownership of the other cars...insurance, fuel, labor rates since I'm sure you are not doing any of the routine maintenance yourself. It all comes down to what pleases you. The best of luck to you.
What exactly is a "real corvette person"?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Reading some of the comments in this thread, I would have to say a "real Corvette person" is someone who is blind to its faults.

I have owned a C5 as my DD since it's debut, and it's a good car. First GM vehicle I ever owned. Reliability? I nearly dumped it in the first year as it was in the dealership about once a month. All for electrical/electronic faults. It did not really shape up until in desperation the dealership replaced the BCM. Still, in 1997/98 it was a rare bird, and definitely quick.

But I'm contemplating a change to something that is more of a long distance GT car than a sports car. I still enjoy my C5, but just not for long road trips. The constant cabin noise gets tedious, plus it's just not comfortable enough to want to cover long distances in one sitting.
The following 2 users liked this post by jackthelad:
Black 02 (02-16-2017), Studying4boards (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I have a friend who has had two Mercs

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
Jag or mercedes for reliability? Did i fall asleep and wake up in a different dimension?
in the past 5 years. They have spent more time in service bays than he can count. That despite a lot of required PM cost. He was frustrated. Had he had to pay for all the repair service, a tech told him it would have been in the thousands. Last straw was they had to replace motors and transmission mounts at 32 k miles on a Merc of some # designation.. He drives like an old lady! He bought a CTS-V and loves it! Same for a big Lexus SUV for wifey-poo. Has had no problems in 38K miles and two cross country coast to coast trips.
I can see wanting more luxury than a Vette , surely sometimes I do, just a personal preference, but M or J. . Our Vettes are sports car and not of the same ilk as larger meant to be luxo cars. Spare me!

Last edited by David Shiel; 02-16-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Again, nothing but stereotypes are used in your post. Do you have any direct experience with any of the brands you mentioned, or are you just regurgitating what you've read online?
Yes I do.
Have a nice day
Old 02-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Someone other than you.
David Shiel (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Someone other than you.
You're right. I consider myself a car enthusiast rather than a "corvette person". They are fun cars, but not the end all be all that people on here make them out to be. The fact that everyone acts like they're 100% reliable and everything else is terrible is laughable at best. Go ahead though, keep regurgitating garbage you read online as fact to try and scare others off from anything that's isn't GM because you are closed minded.

Have a good day yourself.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:12 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Yep, for sure

Originally Posted by Rico7142

Get notified of new replies

To Giving up my 2003 Z06 for a Jaguar or a Benz after 1.5 years

Old 02-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

You're right. I consider myself a car enthusiast rather than a "corvette person". They are fun cars, but not the end all be all that people on here make them out to be. The fact that everyone acts like they're 100% reliable and everything else is terrible is laughable at best. Go ahead though, keep regurgitating garbage you read online as fact to try and scare others off from anything that's isn't GM because you are closed minded.

Have a good day yourself.
I am a car guy as well. I like anything mechanical. The Corvette is a favorite and is not without flaws. The Black '99 I have is a great trouble free car so that's why I still have it. The last Corvette that I kept for over 10 years was a 1974 Coupe which was also a trouble free car. I have had 11 other Corvettes in between. I currently own a Japanese car and a German car as well. My latest interest is a Challenger Scat Pack 6spd in Black or maybe White. I have owned almost every make of car but have always owned a Chevy Corvette as well. I am not trying to scare anyone off, just being the devils advocate like the OP is in most of his posts. Anyway, I am not close minded to GM, infact other than Corvettes, I haven't purchased another model GM vehicle since 1998.

I have never owned an exotic but I do have a friend that sells exotics and does maintenence on them.

Last edited by Mike98SilVert; 02-16-2017 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add a comment
David Shiel (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Nominating this thread for ......

Originally Posted by runner140*
That's about to be closed???
I don't know if we have a "thread of the month" on this forum, but I want to nominate this one.
It's been a lot of fun to see the STRRRONNNNGGGGG opinions. Some of the insults have been interesting as well.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

I am a car guy as well. I like anything mechanical. The Corvette is a favorite and is not without flaws. The Black '99 I have is a great trouble free car so that's why I still have it. The last Corvette that I kept for over 10 years was a 1974 Coupe which was also a trouble free car. I have had 11 other Corvettes in between. I currently own a Japanese car and a German car as well. My latest interest is a Challenger Scat Pack 6spd in Black or maybe White. I have owned almost every make of car but have always owned a Chevy Corvette as well. I am not trying to scare anyone off, just being the devils advocate like the OP is in most of his posts. Anyway, I am not close minded to GM, infact other than Corvettes, I haven't purchased another model GM vehicle since 1998.
My Corvette was far from trouble free, but it was still a good car. I've also had good luck with BMW and Porsche. I maintain my own cars, so the costs aren't anything like what you read about online. Perhaps I should enjoy the stereotypes as they sure make these cars relatively inexpensive second hand. Doesn't hurt that they are easy to work on, much easier than most domestic cars I've worked on as they seem built with service in mind rather than just screwed together.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black 02:
Mike98SilVert (02-16-2017), Studying4boards (02-16-2017)

Quick Reply: Giving up my 2003 Z06 for a Jaguar or a Benz after 1.5 years