Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Awesome! Thank you sir!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:36 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosis
So we missed that goal by a mile. Sadly that puts me out. I love the tail but just cant justify the purchase. Not this year at least.
I sort of agree. Just to make sure of things, and I clicked on the PayPal link, and the sale amount of $924 shows up. I'll assume that's including shipping. While it's not an outrageous amount of money, I also received a $3700 property tax bill, 4 days ago.

I'll have to think about the bumper, as much as I'd like to have one.....
Old 01-05-2018, 11:01 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I sort of agree. Just to make sure of things, and I clicked on the PayPal link, and the sale amount of $924 shows up. I'll assume that's including shipping. While it's not an outrageous amount of money, I also received a $3700 property tax bill, 4 days ago.

I'll have to think about the bumper, as much as I'd like to have one.....
Same exact thoughts here. By the way my $3200 property tax bill is due next month as well. Add to it that the body shop paint bill and the reality of a bigger bite sinks in - now I do not want to throw any cold water on the enthusiasm for this very much desirable part. But... for me personally, I may have to reconsider the less expensive back up plan.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

The price is on par with a fresh mold for the market, it's also larger than most bumper covers which increases the cost to make the molds. It's not like a bumper that's been on the market for a decade. Pretty sure a standard C5 bumper cover is $550ish so the price is understandable.

If the fit is as good as we're told, it's worth it. I'm however in the same boat as the others, with the car broken it makes little sense to put a new bumper on it.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:32 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Same exact thoughts here. By the way my $3200 property tax bill is due next month as well. Add to it that the body shop paint bill and the reality of a bigger bite sinks in - now I do not want to throw any cold water on the enthusiasm for this very much desirable part. But... for me personally, I may have to reconsider the less expensive back up plan.

Years ago, when cars were shot with acrylic lacquer and acrylic enamel, I wouldn't give the finishing of the bumper a second thought. I've shot LOTS of those two types of paints, and although I haven't shot any in a while, I wouldn't hesitate to fire up the paint gun once again..

BUT, with the cost of paints, today, and what it would cost me to have it done, just piles on top of the initial purchase. Maybe, if they're still available, I'll consider one later in the year.....

Old 01-05-2018, 11:35 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Love the design, can't justify the cost...even the original cost quoted + shipping + paint was putting me out. This is a nice to have, but not a need. Great looking bumper though and still priced with the market.

I'm going to have to look into a less costly alternative. So if any of you have an SLP spoiler already painted machine silver you want to sell, shoot me a PM.

Last edited by imgn tht; 01-05-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm not a business owner and have little knowledge of this stuff. I can only speak of my experience. I bought a steel off road bumper for my Tacoma and it was cheaper than this (could be because urethane is harder to engineer than steel) but my main thought is that it was larger and far heavier than this C5 bumper and yet still shipped for free. In fact I only pay for shipping in 10% of online orders, no matter how large the item is. Reality is, charging for shipping will put businesses under in the near future as most dont charge anymore.

Again, just my view and I may be missing something.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

I'm not a business owner and have little knowledge of this stuff. I can only speak of my experience. I bought a steel off road bumper for my Tacoma and it was cheaper than this (could be because urethane is harder to engineer than steel) but my main thought is that it was larger and far heavier than this C5 bumper and yet still shipped for free. In fact I only pay for shipping in 10% of online orders, no matter how large the item is. Reality is, charging for shipping will put businesses under in the near future as most dont charge anymore.

Anything shipped freight is almost never free. My bumper for my truck was $190 in shipping. Cost was around the same, but raw materials exist for steel, meaning they have a uniform cost point. So price on that is essentially labor. Stuff requiring molds is different, you have the initial engineering cost to set up the molds, cost of materials/assembly to actually make the molds, plus the process of making them too. The margin for profit is much smaller than say for a steel bumper which uses a standard welding jig.

Items ship for free now because the cost point is included in the price. Pete could easily say they are $924 with free shipping. However I've never seen a body kit company ship anything free, not for that size stuff.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:35 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by imgn tht
So if any of you have an SLP spoiler already painted machine silver you want to sell, shoot me a PM.
Just found a NIB pewter one. No its not going to be as nice as the CorvetteCreationz bumper, but right now it fits better in my budget.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:42 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

As mentioned below your post, I could have easily said $924 and free shipping, that’s all other places do. To make this bumper we literally had to spend as much as I would have paid for a C5 lol. It’s not cheap to make urethane, which is why you see a lot of companies making fiberglass parts instead. I understand people have their own bills and priorities, but $799 for this bumper is cheap if you compare to the cost of other parts, headers, exhaust, rear fender flares etc. With that said, there’s a reason companies have stopped making parts for the C5...this is a classic example. We get something made, at a huge initial investment and people start to dissect the price. Anyway, don’t take this the wrong way, if these sell really well, great! If they struggle to sell, then I’ll have to reconsider making anything else for the C5 and just move on like everyone else.

Last edited by Quik Z06; 01-05-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:19 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
...this is a classic example. We get something made, at a huge initial investment and people start to dissect the price. Anyway, don’t take this the wrong way, if these sell really well, great! If they struggle to sell, then I’ll have to reconsider making anything else for the C5 and just move on like everyone else.
Please understand, I'm NOT in any way, shape, or form, trying to "flame" you, when I say this. I fully understand your comments, above, and I sympathize with your frustrations. You initially came here and asked how many C-5 owners might be interested in one of these rear bumpers.

The target price was initially mentioned as $599-699, the average of that being $650. Sounds attractive, for such a great looking part. However, when the dream becomes reality, the price jumps by $100. Most of us understand that you're not a huge part shipper, with serious discounts with UPS or FedEx in your back pocket, so we understand that shipping won't be free. But, it's another $125 on top of the $100 more than the initial target price, so now things are looking more than what we expected.

Not saying the part isn't worth it, and not saying I won't purchase one after I get caught up with my property tax and Christmas bills, however....
Old 01-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I want mine, Pete. When do I get it?
Old 01-05-2018, 06:30 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Please understand, I'm NOT in any way, shape, or form, trying to "flame" you, when I say this. I fully understand your comments, above, and I sympathize with your frustrations. You initially came here and asked how many C-5 owners might be interested in one of these rear bumpers.

The target price was initially mentioned as $599-699, the average of that being $650. Sounds attractive, for such a great looking part. However, when the dream becomes reality, the price jumps by $100. Most of us understand that you're not a huge part shipper, with serious discounts with UPS or FedEx in your back pocket, so we understand that shipping won't be free. But, it's another $125 on top of the $100 more than the initial target price, so now things are looking more than what we expected.

Not saying the part isn't worth it, and not saying I won't purchase one after I get caught up with my property tax and Christmas bills, however....
You guys need to forget that $599-699 because as I mentioned from the beginning that was just speculation. I had no idea at the time what they’d cost. I knew that one of the questions would be “how much” so that’s why I threw that price out there. Next time I know better, I’ll just start high so when it’s lower everyone is happy lol.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not pissed or frustrated, it’s not even out yet and two are sold. Lol, with Patches wanting his as well. I’m sure they’ll sell, but if encounter resistance on a $799 bumper then maybe the C5 platform isn’t the best to continue to build parts for...it’s just business.
The following users liked this post:
mtndv8 (01-12-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:32 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Patches
I want mine, Pete. When do I get it?
As soon as they are ready to pick up I’ll let you know.
Patches (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Maybe it's just me but, I think this is a freakin' steal compared to everything else that's out there. Pete, you and I both have C7's and we know the Corvette tax on exactly equivalent mods for the C7 is outrageous. High-end C5 exhausts that go for $1200 have C7 counterpart systems going for $2300-$2500 and the material content and labor are very similar. I realize this may be apples/oranges to many in the C5 section and that the platform would not tolerate the pricing structures the C7 experiences but I buy for both and it amazes me how the C7 vendors stack the premiums on so shamelessly.

I'm happy to pay Pete's price for this piece because I know his margin could be much higher selling parts to the C6/C7 crowds but he does it pretty much as a favor to us.

Thanks, Pete. Can't wait to pick this puppy up!

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
You guys need to forget that $599-699 because as I mentioned from the beginning that was just speculation. I had no idea at the time what they’d cost. I knew that one of the questions would be “how much” so that’s why I threw that price out there. Next time I know better, I’ll just start high so when it’s lower everyone is happy lol.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not pissed or frustrated, it’s not even out yet and two are sold. Lol, with Patches wanting his as well. I’m sure they’ll sell, but if encounter resistance on a $799 bumper then maybe the C5 platform isn’t the best to continue to build parts for...it’s just business.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patches:
mtndv8 (01-12-2018), Quik Z06 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 07:20 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm stoked. I think it's awesome. Is it pricey? Sure. I see it as paying for quality. I'd rather pay more for a quality product than less for one that sucks. If this fits like it should I'll get one. Might take me a minute, but I'll do it. Can't wait to see the final product installed. Thank you for getting it done and congrats!

Last edited by oneandgone; 01-05-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Quik Z06 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

In case anyone is curious how these are made, I'm not sure as I haven't seen the facility, but I'm certain for the area they're in, they are injection molded but it could be blow molded, which in similar but rare for urethane. Here's the process.

Here's a mold

Here's a mold being made, which is a precise process

I could keep going but I think that's plenty for understanding. I would figure using all American manufacturing setup, scans, CAD work, CNC, etc would be 10-15k just to make the stuff to make the bumpers.

It's far different than fiberglass, that's for sure. But it does insure a perfect fit, providing the manufacturer test fits and adjusts the molds if needed.

Last edited by Shaolin Crane; 01-05-2018 at 08:31 PM.
STALION (01-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Gauging Interest - Urethane Rear Bumper with duckbill wing

Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
... Pete, you and I both have C7's and we know the Corvette tax on exactly equivalent mods for the C7 is outrageous.
The only reason a corvette tax exists is because we are stupid enough to accept it. Market is controlled by the customer. Refuse to buy a product with a corvette tax and someone will make it without the tax to get your business. Basic first semester economics.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:01 PM
A-Tak
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks Pete for being one of the few people left still making parts for our aging platform. I think your price is quite reasonable. Looking forward to seeing whatever else you can come up with.
Quik Z06 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:33 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

The only reason a corvette tax exists is because we are stupid enough to accept it. Market is controlled by the customer. Refuse to buy a product with a corvette tax and someone will make it without the tax to get your business. Basic first semester economics.
I agree to an extent, but some parts just can't be made cheaply. Everyone knows I try to keep my stuff reasonable, with these we really pushed for quality. If I had a C5, I'd gladly pay $799-899 for this bumper. I had to look it up just now..granted I didn't look around but I found a TS Rear for $755, should I say how much they wanted for shipping? Don't forget that bumper and the SW are fiberglass, not very durable urethane.

Anyway, I don't want anyone to think I'm upset or to take away from this awesome bumper...at this point it is what it is, if you want one hit me up, if not it's cool too

Last edited by Quik Z06; 01-05-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest - Urethane Rear Bumper with duckbill wing