Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Cipher CPA2009 Leather Suede Seats!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:20 PM
DAC01crvt
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cipher seat install

Originally Posted by danh52
You only need the drivers side to make it work. When I did mine, I left all of the harness attached as I didn;t know if it would make a difference. I just bundled it together using zip ties so it was a neat package when under the seat.
Ok, the deed is done. I installed the entire harness including the SCM, tucked it neatly under the seat. It works just as you said. Thanks to you and SuperTom!
Old 05-20-2017, 12:23 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Just purchased the Braum Racing Seats in British Tan as they just came back in stock. I will be replacing a set of Corbeau A4's covered in a leather almost the same color. The Corbeau's look lighter in the picture but I had Braum send me a sample of the Leatherette and in person it is almost identical to the Corbeau covering except for the grain pattern.

Braum Seats:

Using this thread and another by SuperTom I will also be changing over to C6 Seat Belts, and with the seat brackets from Big Daddy and the seat belt extensions. Seats should arrive June 1. The car is having a hood put on since I cannot get Caravaggio to honor his agreement to replace the original hood that has separated. As soon as I get the car back from paint I will start the seat install.

Last edited by alxltd1; 07-12-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:08 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
Just purchased the Braum Racing Seats in British Tan as they just came back in stock. I will be replacing a set of Corbeau A4's covered in a leather almost the same color. The Corbeau's look lighter in the picture but I had Braum send me a sample of the Leatherette and in person it is almost identical to the Corbeau covering except for the grain pattern.

Braum Seats:

Corbeau Seats:

Using this thread and another by SuperTom I will also be changing over to C6 Seat Belts, and with the seat brackets from Big Daddy and the seat belt extensions. Seats should arrive June 1. The car is having a hood put on since I cannot get Caravaggio to honor his agreement to replace the original hood that has separated. As soon as I get the car back from paint I will start the seat install.
Sounds great keep us in the loop. Also thank you bumping this as I took the car to NJMP for track days. These seats held me in amazingly! Didn't even know they were there in a good way. Not the same for my all season tires...
Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

You've done an amazing job addressing one of the few weak spots on these cars (the interior)...thanks for the inspiration and info!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:42 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SuperTom
Sounds great keep us in the loop. Also thank you bumping this as I took the car to NJMP for track days. These seats held me in amazingly! Didn't even know they were there in a good way. Not the same for my all season tires...
The advantage of living in Florida, I can run high performance summer tires all year long. Currently on Nitto Invo's. Great when dry, a little less if too wet.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:34 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Seats arrived while I was away. Wife texted pictures of the box which was split and crushed. Worried about it until I got back in town and luckily no damage to the seats and all the hardware was in the box. Waiting for car to come back from body shop where they are fitting and painting a hood. So it may be a couple of weeks before I can get to the install>

Name:  IMG_0063_zpsysxunfvw.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  168.7 KB
Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

Seats arrived while I was away. Wife texted pictures of the box which was split and crushed. Worried about it until I got back in town and luckily no damage to the seats and all the hardware was in the box. Waiting for car to come back from body shop where they are fitting and painting a hood. So it may be a couple of weeks before I can get to the install>

I'm the camera isn't doing them justice they are going to look great!

And to follow up on mine just did a HPDE event in these and they were great for holding me in place. Its one of those things were if you don't notice them then they are doing their job.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:47 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

I'm the camera isn't doing them justice they are going to look great!

And to follow up on mine just did a HPDE event in these and they were great for holding me in place. Its one of those things were if you don't notice them then they are doing their job.
Ran into a glitch. I had gotten a sample swatch of the leatherette color. British Tan, from them last December. It was almost an exact match to the leather I had the Corbeau’s covered in. It's called Cork and is a standard color with Porsche. The seats delivered are more orange than the swatch Braum had sent. I am assuming their supplier changed, the swatch was from a different lot, or both. Anyway I am in contact with Braum seeing if I can get some raw material to recover my lower door panels, sills, and B-Pillars to match the seats, or find a shop locally who can. Another small gotcha, but hopefully I can work it out fast.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:49 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Braum responded pretty quickly and they do have the material by the yard. Ordered enough to do the trim pieces. So will have to wait for it to come in to ensure it matches the seats. Though it looks the same on the computer you really cant tell until you have it in hand.

Name:  BRFB-BTPU_1-1000x690_zpse6juuuez.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  408.9 KB

Name:  braumBRR1-BTBS_3_zpseowg9gz1.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  BRR1-BTBS_2_zpsek0mj9cm.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  60.3 KB

Last edited by alxltd1; 06-14-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:19 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

Braum responded pretty quickly and they do have the material by the yard. Ordered enough to do the trim pieces. So will have to wait for it to come in to ensure it matches the seats. Though it looks the same on the computer you really cant tell until you have it in hand.

I think that orange will look amazing. I remember years ago looking at the 370z black with persimmion interior it was orange looking and looked great.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:49 AM
slowcone
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those seats look great! I've been tempted to get the a4's but after seeing this thread, I'm leaning towards the cipher/braum seats.

How do the a4's compare to these seats in terms of quality and comfort?
Did you have the lumbar support for the a4's?
Do you sit higher in these seats than the shaved a4's?

Last edited by slowcone; 06-15-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:28 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Originally Posted by slowcone
Those seats look great! I've been tempted to get the a4's but after seeing this thread, I'm leaning towards the cipher/braum seats.

Not sure how to answer this as Ive never owned A4's. These don't have lumbar support. Im 5' 9" and used the provided 1" spacers and fit right. You could always not use the spacers to sit lower.
A4's have been around a long time these seats are a modern design if that means anything to you.
The following users liked this post:
slowcone (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:44 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Not sure how to answer this as Ive never owned A4's. These don't have lumbar support. Im 5' 9" and used the provided 1" spacers and fit right. You could always not use the spacers to sit lower.
A4's have been around a long time these seats are a modern design if that means anything to you.
The Braum's are not leather but their construction and detail, to me were better than my A4's. I did not have lumbar support in my A4's or these Braum's. I had the A4's with the shaved base and the Braum's without spacers may be a 1/4" higher, more so because the seat sections have a thicker foam than on my A4's. I will see when I install them whether I use the spacers or not. I am 6' and 175 lbs and the Braum's fit perfectly. I am doing the conversion to C6 seat belts as well as I had to modify the brackets on my A4's to mount on the correct side, but did not want to do the same with the Braum's. Once installed I will post an update.
PS once installed my custom leather A4's will be for sale with mounting brackets and sliders.

Last edited by alxltd1; 06-15-2017 at 12:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slowcone (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 02:19 PM
slowcone
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah ok. I was just worried that with a helmet there wouldn't be enough space. I'm the same height so I think these will be fine.

The Braum's are not leather but their construction and detail, to me were better than my A4's. I did not have lumbar support in my A4's or these Braum's. I had the A4's with the shaved base and the Braum's without spacers may be a 1/4" higher, more so because the seat sections have a thicker foam than on my A4's. I will see when I install them whether I use the spacers or not. I am 6' and 175 lbs and the Braum's fit perfectly. I am doing the conversion to C6 seat belts as well as I had to modify the brackets on my A4's to mount on the correct side, but did not want to do the same with the Braum's. Once installed I will post an update.
PS once installed my custom leather A4's will be for sale with mounting brackets and sliders.
Looking forward to your install! These seats are next on my list after headers.

Do the seats line up with the steering wheel even if you swap the driver and passenger sides?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:50 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Ah ok. I was just worried that with a helmet there wouldn't be enough space. I'm the same height so I think these will be fine.

Looking forward to your install! These seats are next on my list after headers.

Do the seats line up with the steering wheel even if you swap the driver and passenger sides?
They will, but the recline levers will be on the side next to the center console and difficult to maneuver.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:44 AM
vegas.wr450@gmail.co
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seat brand recommendations for 6'3 230lbs 34" in-seams? 03 z06, don't need room for helmet and have no telescopic wheel. Can't take the stock seats anymore, I often drive 5-6 hours! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2018, 06:04 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by vegas.wr450@gmail.co
Seat brand recommendations for 6'3 230lbs 34" in-seams? 03 z06, don't need room for helmet and have no telescopic wheel. Can't take the stock seats anymore, I often drive 5-6 hours! Thanks in advance!
Did you find anything.

I'm 6'2 245lbs, 36" waist. 00 FRC.

I am liking the look of the braum more than cipher.. .I like the cross hatch stitching... I like leather... I don't like multi-color... wouldn't mind the british tan.... then I can theme the color in that to make it more 'exotic' looking.

I don't mind the seats being non-reclinable as long as they fit and are tight fitting.

I used to use evo 2 plus seats in my old track car but I was smaller... My back and shoulders and legs are kinda big....

Get notified of new replies

To Installed Cipher CPA2009 Leather Suede Seats!

Old 05-09-2018, 06:16 PM
vegas.wr450@gmail.co
Intermediate

I have an 03 z06 with the lower headliner because of the new roof safety standards in 03.
I am 6'2 1/2" 225lbs 36 waist 34 inseam.
My head grazed the roof and the stock seats hurt my butt and back.
I installed Braum® BRR1-BKRD - Elite Series Sport Seats, Black and Red Leatherette last fall and I gained about an inch or 2 of head room and they are much more comfortable. The Braum fit me perfect with a little room to spare. My head no longer hits the roof and I can probably fit my fist above my head now. Depends on how I have it reclined of course.
I used the low seat mounts from ebay and they worked great.
I didnt switch sides and I used c6 seatbelts and the part they click into because I wanted to get to the recline mechanism. It was a bit of work cutting some of the plastic trim and changing the belts, but its worth it IMHO

Last edited by vegas.wr450@gmail.co; 05-09-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:44 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I'm also now in the market for seats. I'm tired of the crap support of the stock seats. My C5 only has 28k miles and the seats aren't all beat up. But I do have seat rock and they suck anyway. I was going to spend $1000 and buy Corbeau Evolution X seats. But I see this thread with all this talk about ebay seats and the cheap seat brackets. Very interested in this.

I am 5'9" 235#'s size 40 waist, the evolution X fits me pretty good. A local performance parts shop had one in their showroom, so I went there today to try it out. A question I had was, are the cheap ebay seat brackets the same as the expensive Corbeau brackets??
Old 06-26-2018, 12:16 PM
vegas.wr450@gmail.co
Intermediate

I can answer that. The ebay brackets appeared to me to be thinner material, but I went with them because the cost is just ridiculous for the better brackets. I intended to gusset the ebay seat brackets to make them stronger. However, after I received them they appeared to me to easily survive a crash. I took them to our fabrication/welder at work and right away he said there is no need, that they appear quality and strong. I used the ebay brackets and I am perfectly satisfied with them. I dont remember the thickness, 3/16"? but the welds and bends do not look sloppy or weak. They are not supper thin or flimsy, and they have some weight in the hand with them. Hope this helps someone.

I was also concerned about using having to modify a c6 belt (I wanted my recline handle by the door), but the c6 belts lock perfectly under anything over medium braking.

Quick Reply: Installed Cipher CPA2009 Leather Suede Seats!