Optimum Ceramic Gloss Coat

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:11 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Optimum Ceramic Gloss Coat

Has anyone tried this product on their C5?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:21 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

a few of my friends have it on their cars and swear by it, not cheap, I will stick with my Chadwicks !!!
Old 03-14-2017, 12:50 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

I own a Detail shop here in St.Louis and have applied it to many cars. It's a great product and easy to apply.
Paint prep is key though.

Here are a couple pics of it applied to a customers C6Z.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
Choreo (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTG
I own a Detail shop here in St.Louis and have applied it to many cars. It's a great product and easy to apply.
Paint prep is key though.

Here are a couple pics of it applied to a customers C6Z.
what is the cost and does it protect from stone chips ???
Old 03-14-2017, 03:42 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pounder
No sir, Clear bra would be needed to protect against rock chips.
A Coating will protect against water spots, bird poo & bugs. The type of things we would Wax our vehicles to protect against but a Paint Coating does a much better job for a longer period of time at doing it.

As for cost it really depends on the condition of the paint to begin with as all imperfections need to be removed before applying a semi permanent Paint Coating to the vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by SSTG:
Choreo (03-14-2017), Pounder (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No sir, Clear bra would be needed to protect against rock chips.
A Coating will protect against water spots, bird poo & bugs. The type of things we would Wax our vehicles to protect against but a Paint Coating does a much better job for a longer period of time at doing it.

As for cost it really depends on the condition of the paint to begin with as all imperfections need to be removed before applying a semi permanent Paint Coating to the vehicle.
Good info!

1) Any idea what would happen if you applied a sealant like Zaino/Chadwicks on top of it? Their instructions say you "can" wax over it apparently?

2) As it begins to dissipate over time, is that a consistent degradation over the surface and does it need to be removed before reapplying?

3) Have you tried it on Chrome?

4) Does it have ANY filling properties (like for very fine scratches that might still remain after polishing?

5) Is there a certain brand that is better? I see Optimum and Jade Ice as at least two options?

Last edited by Choreo; 03-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:54 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

10 cc for $55! Wow At least the 20 cc is a deal at $90
LOL, the results look amazing though and if it lasts up to 2 years, it might be worth it. But for now, I'll stick with Zanio
Old 03-14-2017, 04:12 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Pounder
The only paint that I found was somewhat chip resistant was Imeron(sp). I had my '72 vette repainted in 88 with it at the suggestion of my mechanic. When I sold it in '92 there was not one chip on the nose. And that was after 20K. I asked my now go to guy whether they could do the same for my 04 and he said because of all the environmental BS, they did not make the paint with the same properties I had done in 88.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:59 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
The only paint that I found was somewhat chip resistant was Imeron(sp). I had my '72 vette repainted in 88 with it at the suggestion of my mechanic. When I sold it in '92 there was not one chip on the nose. And that was after 20K. I asked my now go to guy whether they could do the same for my 04 and he said because of all the environmental BS, they did not make the paint with the same properties I had done in 88.
I used the same thing on a 1980 Toronado - it was tough stuff!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:00 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Imron, like Awlgrip, polyester urethane paints, are widely used in the boating industry and also for planes. They are extremely durable products and I'm surprised aren't used more for cars. They are sprayed on, require protective clothing and respirators/filters, so they don't cure in your lungs.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:13 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Short answer.

Originally Posted by Choreo
Good info!

1) Any idea what would happen if you applied a sealant like Zaino/Chadwicks on top of it? Their instructions say you "can" wax over it apparently?

I see no need for a Sealant. That is the purpose of the Coating to protect the paint. As for applying a wax...I understand, us "Waxer's" have the habit of always trying to get that extra shine and just can't leave our cars well enough alone!

2) As it begins to dissipate over time, is that a consistent degradation over the surface and does it need to be removed before reapplying?

As time and conditions wear away at the Coating it will need to be applied again. As far as removing the Coating beforehand, not necessarily.
I'm assuming your asking about uneven wear and build up of applying new product over the existing?
It will wear at different rates on different panels.
You would not notice a discernible (visual) difference in the Coating itself when applying a new Coating to say the side panels which will wear at a lesser pace.

However you would still want to prep the paint before doing so. If there are scratches in the paint anywhere, they will be need to be addressed.

3) Have you tried it on Chrome?

Yes. Chrome,Plastic,Glass (can be tricky) wheels.

4) Does it have ANY filling properties (like for very fine scratches that might still remain after polishing?

No.
There are products that you can use before applying the Coating that will though. Carpro Essense being a good option for you in this case.

As a Professional I always try to "remove" the paint imperfections before a Coating is applied. But cost, paint being to thin and other factors can dictate other options.

5) Is there a certain brand that is better?

I like all of Carpro's products. There are MANY products on the market,including some that are better than others. It will come down to your personal preference and what works for you in the end.
Choreo (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:17 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

It's hard to top the Gloss of CP Gloss Coat on its own though.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2017, 06:59 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Imron, like Awlgrip, polyester urethane paints, are widely used in the boating industry and also for planes. They are extremely durable products and I'm surprised aren't used more for cars. They are sprayed on, require protective clothing and respirators/filters, so they don't cure in your lungs.
Imron was all the craze in the early 90s. My 68 Camaro was painted in Imron. You dont see it much anymore.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:13 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It's hard to top the Gloss of CP Gloss Coat on its own though.
Picture looks amazing. Now that I have done some preliminary research, I have a couple more questions:

1) The Car Pro product you are using is referred to a CQuartz... right?

2) I see one detailer online advertising a product called "CQuartz Finest" and they imply that it cannot be purchased by the public - is this a different product?

3) Can you apply multiple coats of the Car Pro Ceramic product?

4) From what I can tell it says this adds a hardness of appx 2mhr. I see another ceramic product advertised as 9H and one video says they sometimes apply 5 to 8 coats (professionally). IS this 9H product not available for public application? I don't see it sold anywhere.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:11 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I'll buy anything that'll make my garage look that clean.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 PM
edram454
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Default imron

Originally Posted by Crosis
Imron was all the craze in the early 90s. My 68 Camaro was painted in Imron. You dont see it much anymore.
My 1990 zr1 corvette that I recently sold had a Imron paint job applied in 1998 at a cost of 10k. difficult to work with and apply the hardness is legendary. The paint still looks new and my car was taken to track days and no nicks or scratches. the best. my car was black. it is currently on ebay apparently the dealer is selling it if you want to see it.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Choreo
Picture looks amazing. Now that I have done some preliminary research, I have a couple more questions:

1) The Car Pro product you are using is referred to a CQuartz... right?

Carpro is just one of the Nano Coatings I use. CQuartz UK Edition in particular. To your question. Optimum Gloss Coat works well also.

2) I see one detailer online advertising a product called "CQuartz Finest" and they imply that it cannot be purchased by the public - is this a different product?

Yes, it has a little better durability warranty.

3) Can you apply multiple coats of the Car Pro Ceramic product?

I do not.

4) From what I can tell it says this adds a hardness of appx 2mhr. I see another ceramic product advertised as 9H and one video says they sometimes apply 5 to 8 coats (professionally). IS this 9H product not available for public application? I don't see it sold anywhere.
That would be CeramicPro. it is another Coating that has to be applied professionally.
Choreo (03-18-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Optimum Ceramic Gloss Coat

Quick Reply: Optimum Ceramic Gloss Coat