Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear bumper lettering...anyone have lemans blue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:47 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Rear bumper lettering...anyone have lemans blue?

Wondering if anyone has lemans or electron blue rear bumper lettering on a light colored C5, preferably silver, but not entirely important. Just trying to get an idea if I would like it or not. My car is silver with Lemans blue hash marks and just wondered what it may look like on the rear. I'm worried it may look gaudy and stand out more than I care for it to.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

IMO, as long as the lettering matched up well with the blue hashmarks, I think it would look good. I personally would prefer red on silver, but since you already have blue, no sense changing things around.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 PM
slicker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will look nice in blue
i need one C in black letter block style
they do look nice
Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
IMO, as long as the lettering matched up well with the blue hashmarks, I think it would look good. I personally would prefer red on silver, but since you already have blue, no sense changing things around.
Yeah, definitely not changing things around. 1) I strongly dislike red and 2) I have blue on more than just the hash marks.
Attached Images    
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

I'd just buy the stainless letters and paint them whatever color you're looking for. I did that for mine on the front and back. Just give it a good few coats of the color that you like and then put a few coats of clear on top of that. Easy enough and it'll last years.
The following users liked this post:
imgn tht (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by Acid666
I'd just buy the stainless letters and paint them whatever color you're looking for. I did that for mine on the front and back. Just give it a good few coats of the color that you like and then put a few coats of clear on top of that. Easy enough and it'll last years.
When I first read this, I thought well that's silly, why buy something to make them blue, when they sell blue already made?

But then I remembered that I have extra blue vinyl from VetteStripes.com. I could wrap them in the exact color (the letters are flat so should be super easy), and if I don't like them, just peel it off. I can keep the stainless or resell to another forum member.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Wondering if anyone has lemans or electron blue rear bumper lettering on a light colored C5, preferably silver, but not entirely important. Just trying to get an idea if I would like it or not. My car is silver with Lemans blue hash marks and just wondered what it may look like on the rear. I'm worried it may look gaudy and stand out more than I care for it to.
On silver (pewter) the Carbon Fiber letters look good...
Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

When I first read this, I thought well that's silly, why buy something to make them blue, when they sell blue already made?

But then I remembered that I have extra blue vinyl from VetteStripes.com. I could wrap them in the exact color (the letters are flat so should be super easy), and if I don't like them, just peel it off. I can keep the stainless or resell to another forum member.

That's a good idea too. My thing is the vinyl eventually fades a little bit. My Millennium Yellow came with red vinyl letters from the previous owner and they were faded into a light pink. I cut vinyl on the side and could of totally just cut my own but I just wanted the gloss of a high quality automotive paint with some clear coat for mine. Plus I like the stainless letters because they fill in the gap pretty clean. Just a preference.

But wrapping the vinyl letters in a color is a good idea too.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:09 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I've always wondered how those rear bumper letters are painted...is it a stencil you lay over the letters?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the chrome letters for a few years...peel the backing off and it came with some glue to apply and stick em in the indentations in the bumper...

here's a link to them

-M

Originally Posted by grampi50
I've always wondered how those rear bumper letters are painted...is it a stencil you lay over the letters?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lil Blue Coupe; 03-20-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil Blue Coupe
I had the chrome letters for a few years...peel the backing off and it came with some glue to apply and stick em in the indentations in the bumper...

-M
I like the chrome plate with the Corvette flags in between your tailpipes too!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks, ya, someone else had one on their Vette back in the day right after I had mine for only a couple months, it caught my eye so I got one, 127k miles later its still there

here's a link to what it is... exhaust plate

-M

Last edited by Lil Blue Coupe; 03-20-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Yeah, definitely not changing things around. 1) I strongly dislike red and 2) I have blue on more than just the hash marks.
Can you share some details on your coils and fuel rails being painted? Or if you have done so in the past, please provide a link? That looks great. Are those aftermarket valve covers as well?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Can you share some details on your coils and fuel rails being painted? Or if you have done so in the past, please provide a link? That looks great. Are those aftermarket valve covers as well?
Thank you. Over this past winter I redid the engine bay by removing the factory FRCs, valve covers and fuel rails. I purchased Holley Fuel Rails, new -AN fittings and line, Proform Valve covers, Proform coil relocation brackets, and made new spark plug wires (for added length needed with the coil relocation). I also cleaned up all the wiring and harnesses with black wire loom.

The covers are a black wrinkle coat. I originally thought I would paint the CHEVROLET lettering blue, but liked the way they were and didn't want to mess them up.

The rails come finished in gloss black, so I just scuffed them up and painted them my preferred color (Lemans Blue Paint Code W19). Did the same on the factory LS1 coils. I used a primer, base coat, and clear coat in aerosol form from http://www.automotivetouchup.com.

This was a before shot...I had smoothed the factory FRCs but it never looked perfect, and the intake cover was not the correct blue. Sort of got tired of seeing everything covered up especially since I started going to car shows last summer and everyone looked similar. So off they went and in with the new. More old school engine, less plastic.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Thank you. Over this past winter I redid the engine bay by removing the factory FRCs, valve covers and fuel rails. I purchased Holley Fuel Rails, new -AN fittings and line, Proform Valve covers, Proform coil relocation brackets, and made new spark plug wires (for added length needed with the coil relocation). I also cleaned up all the wiring and harnesses with black wire loom.

The covers are a black wrinkle coat. I originally thought I would paint the CHEVROLET lettering blue, but liked the way they were and didn't want to mess them up.

The rails come finished in gloss black, so I just scuffed them up and painted them my preferred color (Lemans Blue Paint Code W19). Did the same on the factory LS1 coils. I used a primer, base coat, and clear coat in aerosol form from http://www.automotivetouchup.com.

This was a before shot...I had smoothed the factory FRCs but it never looked perfect, and the intake cover was not the correct blue. Sort of got tired of seeing everything covered up especially since I started going to car shows last summer and everyone looked similar. So off they went and in with the new. More old school engine, less plastic.

That's really a great look, well done.
Which coil relo kit and wire kit did you use?

My intent is to flat black everything in my engine bay, but dress up a few 'odd' parts. My headers are already red of which I've not seen anyone else do. Perhaps doing my coils in red would be the ticket.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:30 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Coil Relo Kit is from Proform, Part No. 69520. I purchased mine new from a fellow forum member, but you can buy from Jegs or other parts houses. If you are doing valve covers too, they sell both together as well.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rsistYmm=false

The wire kit I used was a universal MSD kit that I had to cut and make myself. I only did this because I didn't want red wires, but later found the I could have used GM Truck wires premade. In your case if you are cool with red wires, then you can use MSD part no. 39849.
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (03-21-2017)
Old 07-07-2019, 11:22 PM
Sean_emory
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts

I have Le Mans blue couoenwith silver lettering. The two colors definitely mesh well.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear bumper lettering...anyone have lemans blue?

Old 07-08-2019, 07:02 AM
Nitrojedi
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO this is still a render..its just been made to look realistic
Old 07-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

Well, blue certainly wouldn't look good on mine, so I went with the carbon fiber.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:33 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Should be mod #1

Quick Reply: Rear bumper lettering...anyone have lemans blue?