C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced headlights with LEDs, now they won't close

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:55 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Replaced headlights with LEDs, now they won't close

I had HIDs in it, and had to push the stick to "brights" to get them to close. However, I got tired of doing that so I switched to LED 9006s, now they won't go down at all unless I manually retract them. Anyone know what's going on?
Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

The LEDs don't draw enough current to activate the relay in the headlight control module. I think that adding resistors will solve the problem. Search the forum, this has come up before and someone has posted a fix.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:46 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

I made a recent post that may help you troubleshoot. Good Luck. Let us know what turns out to be the problem.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ol-module.html
Old 03-19-2017, 08:07 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

UM Rebel, I will try what you said when I have some spare time. I tried adding resistors and they still won't go down.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Originally Posted by REDSEE5
UM Rebel, I will try what you said when I have some spare time. I tried adding resistors and they still won't go down.
Just FYI, if everything is working properly headlight doors will operate even if no bulbs are in fixtures.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I had HIDs in it, and had to push the stick to "brights" to get them to close. However, I got tired of doing that so I switched to LED 9006s, now they won't go down at all unless I manually retract them. Anyone know what's going on?
Did you keep the ballasts?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 AM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Radioflyer made me a kit with hi and low LEDs in an ACA-housing - and it works perfect. The kit has a resistor installed to trick the headlight module.

You could contact him for advice and a solution
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Simple fix....

Its a 20 minute fix. Purchase a "hyper flash harness" and install. Its a resistor that tricks your headlight into not being LED's. On the national auction site, they are priced as $34.95. They install behind the knee panel on the drivers side. (4 small bolts).

I have installed the LED set up and love them.

I also have the 9006 LED's.

Last edited by runner140*; 03-20-2017 at 07:05 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 AM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

I already have a hyper flash harness as I have LED interior bulbs and turn signals.

Also, no, I did not keep the ballasts plugged in.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

The hyperflash harness is for the flasher circuit, which headlights are not part of. As Red mentioned, he already went thru the HID debacle, as many of us did.
For process of elimination sake, everything worked fine before you tried the HIDS?
Did you remove everything from the HID's and return the system to stock, and if so, were the lights working properly?
Try putting in the stock bulbs and see if everything works.
The headlight doors a very sensitive to voltage, and slight change could be the culprit.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:28 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Check Fuse 6 under passenger floor. If it's blown headlight doors will not close.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Thanks, all. I have a email out to Kensun (LED bulb manufacturers.) UM Rebel, I will check that fuse when I get home from work. Im thinking its okay, though. When I was disconnecting the battery lastnight the headlights both closed. I hope something gives, soon. Also, when I was manually putting the passenger side down lastnight at some point, the **** broke off. SOB I dont know why I cant just leave stuff stock

That would be awesome though if that fuse was blown and it blew before I put the resistor in which is causing the resistors to not work.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Alright, just heard back from Kensun. I have to say, Im impressed. She asked tons of questions about the car. DRLs? Twilight mode? Etc.....Explained that the culprit was more than likely that I needed a relay harness with resistors installed. As I was reading the email I was thinking, "That cant be too expensive....Ill order it when I get home from work." As I continued reading, she asked if the address she had on file was the correct address that she should send the harness with resistors to, free of charge.

Now THAT is customer service. Looked it up on Amazon and its $28.00. Granted, thats not a lot of money. But if you look at the fact the bulbs were only $60.00, they are taking almost a 50% hit of my original purchase just so these things work. They have a customer for life! (If this harness works )
The following users liked this post:
OregonDan (09-07-2019)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:06 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Alright, just heard back from Kensun. I have to say, Im impressed. She asked tons of questions about the car. DRLs? Twilight mode? Etc.....Explained that the culprit was more than likely that I needed a relay harness with resistors installed. As I was reading the email I was thinking, "That cant be too expensive....Ill order it when I get home from work." As I continued reading, she asked if the address she had on file was the correct address that she should send the harness with resistors to, free of charge.

Now THAT is customer service. Looked it up on Amazon and its $28.00. Granted, thats not a lot of money. But if you look at the fact the bulbs were only $60.00, they are taking almost a 50% hit of my original purchase just so these things work. They have a customer for life! (If this harness works )

How do you get so lucky? I can't even miss my local newspaper without talking pidgin to somebody in the Philippines.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by AndersT
...The kit has a resistor installed to trick the headlight module...
...Explained that the culprit was more than likely that I needed a relay harness with resistors installed...
Originally Posted by UM Rebel
Just FYI, if everything is working properly headlight doors will operate even if no bulbs are in fixtures.
I don't see why to make the headlight control module work, resistors or relay harnesses with resistors are needed. I know this has been done extensively as well as turning on the high beams just before turning off the lights, but after looking at the headlight doors electrical diagrams I can't find a relationship between the headlight control module and the load imposed by the headlight bulbs... I agree that, at least theoretically, the doors should open and close even with no bulbs.

I made a quick search and found this post affirming that no resistors are needed:

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I have my original harness only powering relay coils, one relay for low beam and one relay for high beam. The headlights go up and down just fine. They controller needs some load, but it certainly doesn't need a 55W load or a load that would draw 4A.

With no relays, the little hi-beam indicator bulb in the dash cluster was enough to make the headlights go down.

The HID ballasts are actually electronic switching power supplies and the circuit turns off when the voltage drops below a certain level. This is why they put no load onto the headlight wires when the headlights are turned off.

Last edited by GCG; 03-20-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

[QUOTE=GCG;1594343996]=theoretically, the doors should open and close even with no bulbs.

Not just theoretically, I have done it experimentally.

Last edited by UM Rebel; 03-20-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Not theoretically, I have done it experimentally.
I said "at least" theoretically

Last edited by GCG; 03-20-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced headlights with LEDs, now they won't close

Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Originally Posted by GCG
I said "at least" theoretically
Ha! hope you didn't think I was being snarky! I surely don't know everything, but I will say, I understand the Headlight Door system.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Ha! hope you didn't think I was being snarky! I surely don't know everything, but I will say, I understand the Headlight Door system.
Nah, I was just joking I read your other thread where you made your own module and you deserve congratulations for your initiative and ingenuity
The following users liked this post:
UM Rebel (03-20-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 AM
69cvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i find your situation strange, i've recently installed low beam LED headlight bulbs in my car also and my headlights function fine, they have the tiny cooling fans on the back and the small power ballast that powers them. but i tried to drop my headlights with one bulb removed entirely just for giggles and the lights didn't go down at all.

I too was worried about your same issue when installing them, but i believe the LED's pull a bit more draw. but as everything goes no two LED's are likely to be created equal.

Quick Reply: Replaced headlights with LEDs, now they won't close