Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of Parts No Longer Available for the C5 from GM

Old 04-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

There will always be ways around things like this. This is what scares me about even newer cars though because they will be even worse off. It seems like most of the discontinued parts that are not available in the aftermarket are the electronic ones.

If I had to I could strip mine down to old school tech.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosis
A list like this is like a list of why to get out of the C5. I think its a big reason I want to get back into pre computer muscle cars. The idea that a little computer can turn my C5 into a doorstop is scary.
I would say that's a little bit of an exaggeration. The electronic components failing would be a PITA and very irritating, but none would render the car "undriveable". Just less whole. I used to worry when I first got my C5 last summer...then I realized, all modern cars are going to face the same issue as the Corvette C5, if not worse. Many modern luxury cars since 2010 have like 3-4 times as many electrical systems as the C5. That sounds far worse, to me at least.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5
I would say that's a little bit of an exaggeration. The electronic components failing would be a PITA and very irritating, but none would render the car "undriveable". Just less whole. I used to worry when I first got my C5 last summer...then I realized, all modern cars are going to face the same issue as the Corvette C5, if not worse. Many modern luxury cars since 2010 have like 3-4 times as many electrical systems as the C5. That sounds far worse, to me at least.
I am not super familiar with the C5 but it does not appear that you can strip all the electronics out of it and have it still work. The engine and tranny are dependent on computers to function i.e. fuel injection, crank sensors etc. You just cant pull everything out, bolt in an M22 and a small block and drive it like you can in cars up to the 80s. I wish it could be done.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:32 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

You could carbonate it or add an aftermarket LS1 PCM. It would require substantial rewiring but in an old school way just like any other car. Racers do it.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:23 AM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Originally Posted by Crosis
I am not super familiar with the C5 but it does not appear that you can strip all the electronics out of it and have it still work. The engine and tranny are dependent on computers to function i.e. fuel injection, crank sensors etc. You just cant pull everything out, bolt in an M22 and a small block and drive it like you can in cars up to the 80s. I wish it could be done.
The only electrical component which fails somewhat frequently on the C5 is the EBCM. It's always the damn EBCM. EBCM only controls ABS, Traction Control, and Active Handling. Obviously 3 systems which are cool to have, but a lack of ABS, TCS, and AH won't do anything as far as "normal" driveability. It will drive the same way it always did before. Hence, no need to panic.

To the best of my knowledge, no other electrical component other than EBCM breaks on C5s except for very rare circumstances.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slo Yelo C5:
Larryvannuil (05-12-2023), MosEspa (10-05-2023)
Old 04-03-2017, 12:41 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

The only electrical component which fails somewhat frequently on the C5 is the EBCM. It's always the damn EBCM. EBCM only controls ABS, Traction Control, and Active Handling. Obviously 3 systems which are cool to have, but a lack of ABS, TCS, and AH won't do anything as far as "normal" driveability. It will drive the same way it always did before. Hence, no need to panic.

To the best of my knowledge, no other electrical component other than EBCM breaks on C5s except for very rare circumstances.
Thats a bit reassuring.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Crosis.
I wouldn't worry too much. The current lack of GM parts support is just an inconvenience. We find ways to fix things.
The following users liked this post:
Crosis (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

"The only electrical component which fails somewhat frequently on the C5 is the EBCM. "

The steering wheel sensor (inside the steering column) is also prone to failure.

Again they are no longer available in the earlier c-5s.

Keep in mind that Corvettes are regularly salvaged by guys that know which parts are no longer available from GM. The early EBCMs are available from these guys (at a price).
Old 04-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The engine wiring harness on mine had dry rot on the wire insulation from heat. I had trouble sourcing one that wasn't in similar condition and didn't have time to rewire it.

Used seat switches are getting rare and unavailable new. I am working on a way to rebuild them.

There are various control modules n the interior that can go bad as well. A car wash pressure sprayed my drivers side mirror and ruined the internals and tint function. Never again will I go to a car wash. These parts were hard to source.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:28 PM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

My ignition switch would like to have a word with you.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:46 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
"The only electrical component which fails somewhat frequently on the C5 is the EBCM. "

The steering wheel sensor (inside the steering column) is also prone to failure.

Again they are no longer available in the earlier c-5s.

Keep in mind that Corvettes are regularly salvaged by guys that know which parts are no longer available from GM. The early EBCMs are available from these guys (at a price).
This piece actually goes hand and hand with the EBCM, correct? It's an input for the TCS / ABS? Thus it won't impact use of the car outside of the warning lights being on / lack of TCS / ABS?

That's how I've read the function of the part, but I could very easily be wrong.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:29 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The lack of available parts is not the part(s) that worries me. It's that I might fail a state vehicle inspection without any recourse.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
The lack of available parts is not the part(s) that worries me. It's that I might fail a state vehicle inspection without any recourse.
Which part(s) are you worried about causing you to fail state inspection? The only one I can think of is EBCM. And even that would only cause a failure in 4-5 states nationwide. Although, that is a major obstacle if you live in one of those states.

I would imagine you could appeal to a board, politician, etc. in one of those states, as this EBCM causing a failure is like a 1 in a 10 million scenario (so extreme because it's one part controlling a safety system--ABS and two handling systems--TCS and Active Handling--but none are imperative for safe operation of the vehicle). Yet, the rules in a handful of states would deem the car "undriveable". Crazy.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:09 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Often thought it would be nice to have an "analog" C5, all switches and wires, no electronics, but it would be an awful job to get there.

Regarding the steering wheel l positioning sensor - it feeds into the Magnasteer (electronically controlled, of course) system and controls the amount of power assist you get. People with failed sensors have reported very strange steering feel. Someone needs to come up with a "fix" to make the PS non variable. Not good but better than a confused Magnasteer.

I think the only way to survive with a modern electronics-intensive vehicle is to always be under warranty - which of course suits the manufacturers just fine. Otherwise at some point they just become lawn ornaments.

Or, just buy a pre-computer era vehicle.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Fuel tanks.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:04 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Ran into this problem today after a spring came up missing for the Park and side lamp. The retaining spring for the corner light bezel bracket, GM part#
10291802 is no longer available.

Looking for a couple spares or equivalent if anyone knows where I can get them. Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 12:01 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by C5R USA
Ran into this problem today after a spring came up missing for the Park and side lamp. The retaining spring for the corner light bezel bracket, GM part#
10291802 is no longer available.

Looking for a couple spares or equivalent if anyone knows where I can get them. Thanks
Check with Marc. Look at post #13

Get notified of new replies

To List of Parts No Longer Available for the C5 from GM

Old 04-06-2017, 03:37 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It's so the big car companies can force you into buying another one through planned obsolescence. Parts manufacturers would love to produce replacement parts if there is a profit in it. But they have to have licensing to do so.

Here's one more. The engine.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:52 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

When and if C5s ever become collectables, aftermarket parts will start being produced just like previous Corvette generations. Market forces will drive the aftermarket.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:57 AM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

At some point, that conversion of my 99 to the 2004 system is going to be the only route available.
Started buying the parts already.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: List of Parts No Longer Available for the C5 from GM